Emachine shutdown issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an emachine desktop computer using Windows XP. I leave it on 24/7 and it started shutting itself down about once a week, then once a day, then once and hour, then every two minutes. I was sure it was the power supply so I ordered the correct one online. I installed it but it still shut itself off. I did a Google search and found that emachines frequently have the motherboard go out at the same time the P/S goes. I found a motherboard on line with cpu for $170. but of course I would then have to buy an operating system which would then approch the cost of a new box. Anybody got any suggestions on how to save this PC.

Go to newegg.com!

I'm contemplating replacing my T3958's board with one from there.

They have a "combination" section.

There's an AMD/ECS 3 combo around $50 right now!

And other deals for cheap.

I myself want to retain the Celeron D 340 that came with my pc, so my options are kinda limited due to socket 478.

Are you sure you need to replace the CPU? Can I have it? lol

I have an emachine desktop computer using Windows XP. I leave it on 24/7 and it started shutting itself down about once a week, then once a day, then once and hour, then every two minutes. I was sure it was the power supply so I ordered the correct one online. I installed it but it still shut itself off. I did a Google search and found that emachines frequently have the motherboard go out at the same time the P/S goes. I found a motherboard on line with cpu for $170. but of course I would then have to buy an operating system which would then approch the cost of a new box. Anybody got any suggestions on how to save this PC.

If you've reconciled the concept that you probably will have to purchase a new OS, then you should shop a little more prudently for replacement parts. For the $170.00 you can almost buy all the parts you need for a new machine. After all you already have a new PSU and Matx case. Maybe an optical and HDD as well. I'm thinking that the outlay for a mobo & CPU should be closer to $120.00. Parts in this price range wouldn't set the world on fire, but they easily would outperform what you had. The newer DDR2 memory we be only half the price but twice as fast as what you have now. For $20.00 you could buy 2 Gigs of it.

If you buy a board that could use your current CPU and RAM, that would save you some dough.

Jus' sayin'....

I've seen mobo's with CPU for $50 , and a new case that INCLUDES a power supply for $40.
That's $90 bro! No it's not going to be a sytem to start a blog about, lol. But it'll probably be an improvement over your current deal.

What's the COA on the case for? Because the COA is really what matters. With a valid one, you could call Microsoft and tell them you had to replace the hard drive and you are unable to authenticate for some unknown reason.

But I don't think they'll help you if you tell them it's a new mobo too! They're weird like that.

And you'll have to "find" a disc for whichever OS you have that COA for.

There's all kinds of other ways around the problem, but I myself prefer to keep it legit. But I also understand that sometimes stuff breaks, and a new OS almost always costs more than what's broken. It's not very fair. And Microsoft knows that.

But I've had EXCELLENT help from Microsoft in the past, by simply having patience, and not starting the phone call like there's a chip on your shoulder. They HATE that.

I really like Capt. Cranky's idea. If you have the money, I'd jump on the chance to buy some good parts with that $170. Go with the very popular ATX form factor and you'll always have a big supply of inexpensive parts to choose from. The computer you'll put together will be much more reliable and the quality much better than the eMachine you started with.

I forgot to add, going with the ATX form factor means buying a new computer case with that ATX form factor, but I've bought them for $20. I like the Power Up series. Some people think they're flimsy but as long as you don't stand on them to change a light bulb, you're okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back