Emachine T5026 connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently was asked by a friend to fix his computer. The Compuer is an old eMachine model T5026. First issue is all of the cables were dissconnected. I am stuck on reconneting the Power switch, and both LEDs.. Each has its own 2 pin connecter that apperently plug into the dual row of pins labled "pannel". I made the mistake of contacting emachine on this and they said they have no specs on my model. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

all you need is the motherboard model and the PDF manual to hook up the panel LEDs. there should be a diagram in there that tells you where each goes or, you can look closer on the actual PCB and there might be brackets that are labeled. most of the connectors are just a positive and negative so if one doesn't work, try flipping it.

The Emachines T-5026 carries an Intel 915GAG motherboard. The only deviation from a board that would be purchased from Intel itself, is a missing PCI-E X16 socket. Get info at Intel on this page; http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D915GAG/ There is a download link for the manual.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to use the Bestec 300 watt PSU. If it hasn't been replaced already, put something like an Antec EA-380 or 400 Watt Corsair in the machine.

Since there is no potential for upgrading the graphics card, both of these PSUs will have way more than enough power.

The CPU is an Intel P4 519.

The DVD Drive is a TSST, Do yourself a big favor and replace that POS too.

I believe the Intel 915GAG is made by Tri-Gem under license from Intel... and thus the trouble... If that is correct, as it is on so many eMachines, the fault lies with Tri-Gem of Korea... and your problem will only get worse... until it dies... cannot be repaired, and is probably not worth repairing with an official Intel board.
The memory is ok. CPU is ok. The Bestec is not the problem (though it is not much good) as it works well in Gateway, HP, and Compaq units. Captain Cranky is right about the motherboard... then then what do you have. The case is ok, but not great.
You can put the cpu in another board which is available for $50 to $75, change the DVD for $22 to $26, exchange the power supply for $5 to $55 and have a working machine... but at a cost of perhaps $165 with shipping...
But for $175 to $100 you could buy a very good used machine from Dell or Gateway or HP.

I believe the Intel 915GAG is made by Tri-Gem under license from Intel... and thus the trouble... If that is correct, as it is on so many eMachines, the fault lies with Tri-Gem of Korea... and your problem will only get worse... until it dies... cannot be repaired, and is probably not worth repairing with an official Intel board.
The memory is ok. CPU is ok. The Bestec is not the problem (though it is not much good) as it works well in Gateway, HP, and Compaq units. Captain Cranky is right about the motherboard... then then what do you have. The case is ok, but not great.
You can put the cpu in another board which is available for $50 to $75, change the DVD for $22 to $26, exchange the power supply for $5 to $55 and have a working machine... but at a cost of perhaps $165 with shipping...
But for $175 to $100 you could buy a very good used machine from Dell or Gateway or HP.
Is there any way we could possibly wait until after this board can be plugged in and is verified that it's either good or bad, until we decide to scrap it.

I agree with you that Emachines have a high failure rate. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that they all fail.
So, at least give it the benefit of the doubt. So, let the OP plug it in before you decide it's bad, that's not only sound diagnostic procedure, it's common courtesy

As to the Bestec PSU, it's a turd. The one in my T-5026 didn't last 6 months. Furthermore I don't care what else they use it in. The first hot day of the first summer, the computer smelled like an electrical fire. Yet the motherboard, be it Intel or Tri Gem, or another third world rebranded POS is still going strong over 4 1/2 years.

From the desk of captaincranky, and his T-5026 says hello also.

Of course not all eMachines are bad, but 26 models have failure rates exceeding 50 percent, and another 12, that I know of, are too high.
The Bestec is not a good power supply, but it is not the cause of the damage in most of the eMachines... and the same Bestec in HP, Compaq, and Gateway does OK, by comparison, though i wouldn't have a Bestec. Why would the damage be so great in an eMachine and so low in the others.
What I would like to see happen is for people to understand it is not the power supply, but the motherboard in these models... and that replacing the powersupply still results in a dead computer that cannot be repaired at a reasonable rate.
We have statistics by model number and serial number. You have seen how many?

raybay, the OP said he just got hold of the machine, and the motherboard connections are off. OK, nobody's disputing that the motherboard could be bad Plus, we've already done 20 pages as to whether the PSU takes out the board, or vice versa..

But, unless the board is visibly burned, then fine, throw it away. Otherwise, wait until it's hooked to the system and doesn't work, before you start quoting statistics and telling people to buy another.

Everybody's right, nobody's wrong, it's just a question of sequence!

I beat the crap out of my 5026, no AC, all summer long, no quarter called, no quarter given. And NO, problems with the board. Maybe if it makes 5 years, I'll retire it with honor. If I don't, and it blows up after 5 years, I'll replace it. One thing you can make book on, I won't be pissing and moaning about suing. A nickle is plenty of good use, at least in my mind. I'll be satisfied at having gotten my money's worth.

If it blows up tomorrow, maybe I'll grumble a bit, but not all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back