Emachines Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a wealth of information here on replacing emachines motherboards, some of it seems a little beyond my understanding though and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I spend any more money so please bear with the newest emachines thread :)
I have an emachines t2482, and of course, the mother board is shot. I am going to replace the Power Supply, and I bought an Asrock K7VM3 Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KM266Pro Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM.
I am a complete ***** when it comes to computers, so, hypothetically, if you were going to tell a complete ***** how to install this new mother board, how would you do it?
The guy that sold it to me tells me it should be just a matter of hooking it up and running the restore cd. It sounds too good to be true, but I can't afford a new system and I'm willing to give it a shot fixing it.
He also mentioned that I might have to update my bios? What's a bios? lol

Also, can you reccomend a good replacement powersupply?

rather than destroy a good new motherboard, I would seriously recommend reading some books on building computers. There is more to it than can be simply addressed in a blog.

Swapping out a motherboard will also require reloading of your operating system. This is also assuming your other components weren't fried by your PSU.

I checked the compatibility for the new MOBO and everything should be ok with the rest of my system, I took the old CPU out and put it in the new MOBO and then connected the front panel jumpers, the fan, usb header, cd and front panel audio, and then I connected the hard drive, floppy, and cd/dvd roms.
My new power supply should be here in the next couple of days.
The motherboard came with an installation CD for the IDE, AGP, VGA, audio, Lan Directx and usb drivers.
I'm guessing here that if everything is connected right, all I should have to do is hook up the power supply, cut in on and put in the cd to install the drivers for the MOBO, then run my original restore cd's right?
I have read conflicting information on this site as to whether or not the original restore cd's will work with a new MOBO though, I don't want to have buy a copy of windows if I can avoid it. Does anybody here know if the Asrock K7VM3 Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KM266Pro Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM will take the original restore cd's for a t2482?
Also I was just joking about not knowing what bios was, I know what it is, and I know how to get to it, but I'm not sure what I would need to do there. What needs to be done in the bios to get the new MOBO up and running?

Set the new bios to failsafe defaults. Try the Emachines restore discs, but don't be surprized if they don't work. If they don't work, you know what you have to do

I got the power supply today, wired everything up and cut it on. Everything seemed to work and I got the first set up screen for the Bios which had my HDD and CDR listed as slaves instead of primaries so I cut it off and switched the cords around, but when I cut it back on, it doesn't send a signal to the monitor anymore. Everything else seems to be working fine, the HDD spins up and the fan is working. Any suggestions?

The hard drive will not boot up without the eMachines motherboard. The recovery restore disc will not work without the eMachines code in the eProm.
But you will be fine using another Windows XP disc in repair mode, then calling Microsoft to reconfirm the product ID.
All other items are usually simply if the cpu matches.

Ok I got the monitor signal back. Everything is hooked up good, and all the hardware is looking ok except for the floppy which fails. The motherboard came with a installation cd that says to just put it in and it should pop up a menu to install the chipset drivers, vga drivers, etc., but when I cut it on it doesn't do anything but try to start windows, then the countdown starts and it resets itself without booting the cd. I was able to get the original restore cd to boot and run the first time, but windows won't work with the MOBO, so I have a windows XP Pro installation disk, and it won't boot. Do I need to reset the CMOS and try the MOBO CD, or the retail windows cd again?
I am able to get into the BIOS and arrange the boot order and everything...
I'ts frustrating to be so close to having it fixed...

Yes Twitchy,
use the retail XP CD and delete the existing partition and start the XP install all over. After XP is installed, use the motherboard drivers disc and install the drivers for the new motherboard. Check the floppy cable and make sure the red stripe is nearest the power connector. Reset the motherboards bios to default settings before you begin the new XP install... Forget about using the Emachines restore disk

Cold boot to the cd to see if it will run in repair mode... if not, run a reinstall... it will save your data unless it is an OEM windows disc. If it is an OEM Windows XP, then you must use drag and drop, Windows transition, or other software to save all your data first.

is there any way to delete the existing partition created by the restore cd without using the floppy drive/fdisk utility, I think my floppy drive is toast.
I have another working computer here, can I hook up the old hard drive to it and format/partition it that way or would that screw it up for the one I am trying to fix? Is the partition that the retosre cd put on the HDD causing it to not run cd's? I can't get it to boot any cdrom, the cd drive is good, but even when I change the boot priority in BIOS to boot cd first, it doesn't seem to want to run any cd, windows or otherwise, it just tries to run windows and then restarts regardless of what I have in the cdrom or floppy drives.
I feel like that piano player on the old Sesame Street lol...

I'm not worried about the data on the HD, it's been reformatted and I backed up everything the first time it started flaking out.

twitchy said:
is there any way to delete the existing partition created by the restore cd without using the floppy drive/fdisk utility, I think my floppy drive is toast.
I have another working computer here, can I hook up the old hard drive to it and format/partition it that way or would that screw it up for the one I am trying to fix? Is the partition that the retosre cd put on the HDD causing it to not run cd's? I can't get it to boot any cdrom, the cd drive is good, but even when I change the boot priority in BIOS to boot cd first, it doesn't seem to want to run any cd, windows or otherwise, it just tries to run windows and then restarts regardless of what I have in the cdrom or floppy drives.
I feel like that piano player on the old Sesame Street lol...

Yes,
the retail XP CD will handle the partitioning and formatting (quick NTFS)

I appreciate all the replies guys, I think I'm getting there slowly but surely.
I have the hard drive from the emachines slaved in a working computer now to partition the drive so I can stick it back in the emachines to run the windows cd.
I deleted the partition, and I clicked create new partition and now its asking me to assign drive letter or path.
Since I am going to be taking the formatted HD out of this computer and putting back into the emachines to install windows on it, do I click assign letter, mount in empty ntfs folder, or do not install drive letter?

That's really weird. I went ahead and created the new partition witout assigning a drive letter and put it back in the emachines and it's the darndest thing, it will boot the restore cd just fine, but the windows cd won't boot, it keeps telling to insert a system disk? It's a good windows cd, at least it was two years ago and installed fine the last time I used it. If I remember right it is XP pro, does that have something to do with it as the emachines was designed for XP home. It still should be a bootable cd though shouldn't it? Why would it boot the restore cd fine but not the windows cd?

I bought yet another windows cd this week, reset bios to failsafe defaults and got the bios to boot cd-rom. Windows cd boots fine and everything looks good to go until it gets to the "Set Up is Starting Windows" screen and it stops there.
I tried hitting F6 to option for manual RAID drivers installation and it said something to the effect that Setup wasn't able to determine what kind of computer I have, and on another attempt it said something like set up wasn't able to determine mass storage, or something about drivers on a floppy. I have an installation cd from the motherboard manufacturer, but it isn't bootable and I can't do anything with it until I get windows running. I talked to microsoft tech support briefly, they are useless and arrogant.

Can any of you guys help me get this thing running?
I am making a standing offer to any of you if you can help me get this thing running I will hook you up with some of my glass work on Ebay, I make miniature Glass Marbles and will send the one that gets me running a free assorted set of them.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjesnbec73

I hooked up the dvd rom and put in the driver cd for the new mother board hoping that windows would get the drivers it needed for the board from the cd, no luck, when set up restarts to start windows I got a blue screen and a message that says driver_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I think I got that fixed simply by restarting a couple times and resetting the BIOS.
I cut it off, restarted a couple times and now it's saying INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing status 12800.

EDIT:
I managed to pull some of the Device Drivers from the cd and put them onto a floppy, there's a SISRAID and an IDE folder, I did the SISRAID and hit F6 to install SCSI/RAID Manufacturer's drivers, and picked the one that said XP on it. That seemed to work ok until it got to the Windows Set Up Installation/Repair option, and the damned keyboard won't work on that screen (that screen only) so that I can hit enter and install windows finally. Does the keyboard not working have something to do with installing the wrong SISRAID files or something?
It also now pops up from time to tell me that set up can't load support for one of the storage devices still?

D-day ...- ...-

I have been believing that the "fresh copy" of windows is not, or only partially on the Emachines recovery disc. I had thought that the back-up copy of Windows was on the D:/ partition, and the recovery disc only summoned it's installation. This is probably not germane to this issue but, (given the same model #) the recovery discs can be from another Emachines. In any event there's a little conspiracy going between the recovery disc & the recovery partition. I doubt that it will let you install a different copy of Windows, retail or otherwise until the Master boot sector of the HDD was erased. I have seen this scenario in action.

Yeah the Old Windows CD Was So Much Scratched Plastic, Two Years and Three kids are hell on 200 dollar Cd's.
I had read about them, and I had heard second hand tales of them, but I had never experienced a true caniption until I got all the way to the Windows Install/Repair screen and couldn't hit enter all of a sudden. I'm not a violent person by any stretch of the imagination, but tonight I finally saw the inside of a 3.5 floppy as I crushed it in my shaking fist.
I have the motherboard drivers on the cd they sent with MOBO, but its not bootable and windows won't take anything but a floppy, the prospect of having to go through all those driver files and floppy them makes me want to cry and drink beer.
I'm serious about the marbles, if somebody can talk me through this, I will send them a set of about 100 miniature glass marbles. I blow glass when I'm not smashing diskettes in fists of rage.

Why in the world is my keyboard being disabled in the setup option to install/repair windows?
Sometimes it freezes up on the setup screen right before the reset to install/repair screen, sometimes it resets to a lit but blank screen, other times it goes right to the repair/install screen but everytime it gets that far the keyboard lights go off and I'm forced to reset again and I'm not able to hit enter to begin installation.
Does it have something to do with the third party SCSI or Raid drivers? Do i need to install those from the MOBO CD first? If so, how can I install them from cd as Windows wants them from a floppy for some reasona dn I'm not really sure which ones I would need to pull from the cd to begin with.
Would it help you guys if I posted the system specs and all that or am I overlooking some simple Bios setting?

Is this keyboard wireless?

Will this system be using SATA raid or SCSI hard drives? If not, you don't need these drivers. In fact they, can prevent the system from booting. In the BIOS you can set the system to detect USB keyboards. But, truthfully, you're more likely to be successful getting things working with a good old wired & plugged into the PS2 port keyboard. Some BIOS determine which to detect automatically, some don't. I'm old school and I never trust a USB mouse & keyboard or a wireless for that matter

Is this keyboard wireless?

Will this system be using SATA raid or SCSI hard drives? If not, you don't need these drivers. In fact they, can prevent the system from booting. In the BIOS you can set the system to detect USB keyboards. But, truthfully, you're more likely to be successful getting things working with a good old wired & plugged into the PS2 port keyboard. Some BIOS determine which to detect automatically, some don't. I'm old school and I won't use a USB mouse & keyboard period. For setup I always use wired devices. Superstition? Not sure.

I got an error message this time on reset, it was
STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc000001d, 0x80888258, 0x808881e8, 0x00000000) but I couldn't find anything on google about it.

INF File txtsetuo.sif corrupt.....help pls

My primary drive got messed up. Would not go pass the memory screen. After clearing the BIOS and using XP to boot I get this massage "INF File txtsetuo.sif corrupt or missing, Status 32768. Setup cannot continue....

Now, my question is how to repair and get some of my files out of there without formatting? Appreciate any help out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back