eMachines T1742 shutting down unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFOnline

Hey folks... another eMachines headache to throw into the mix just to keep things interesting.

My parents have an eMachines T1742 that they bought about three years ago -- I was not too thrilled when they showed me their new computer, since they know I'm a tech guy (who knows better than to buy an eMachine) and they never consulted me about it. :) But I was off in college at the time, so no big deal, they just didn't want to interrupt my studies, I suppose...

Anyways, over the past few weeks it's taken up the nasty habit of *almost* shutting down at irregular intervals. It doesn't turn ALL the way off -- the NumLock light is still lit on the keyboard and I can still hear a fan operating inside the chassis -- but the optical drive isn't getting any power, and the monitor, hard disk, and power light are all off.

My first inclination was that my folks unknowingly enabled automatic standby or hibernation and the computer was having problems waking up, but a quick inspection revealed that wasn't the case. The power settings just turn the monitor off after a half-hour of idle time, but everything else stays on. I also checked Event Viewer, and there were no errors or warnings that would indicate anything out-of-the-ordinary. Then the computer "turned off" on me while I was using it, so that pretty much ruled out the "this only happens when the computer is idle" hypothesis.

Knowing the issues that eMachines PSUs have, my next solution was that it had to be the power supply. I replaced the crappy stock Bestec 250-watt PSU with a 430-watt model from CoolerMaster. Unfortunately, the problem persists with the new PSU.

The thing that stumps me is that I know the eMachines PSUs tend to take out the motherboard as well when they die, but I don't figure it's the motherboard since I've seen PCs with dead motherboards before. They just don't do anything, and this computer is definitely running fine until it goes into its strange quasi-hibernation state.

The last-ditch things I checked were the case and CPU temperatures, which were both in the 30s (Celsius). Seems normal for a 1.7GHz Celeron.

Here are the system specs:
Processor: Celeron 1.7GHz
Motherboard: crappy Imperial board with Intel 845GL chipset
Power Supply: CoolerMaster eXtremePower 430-watt (brand-new)
Memory: 640MB SDRAM (upgraded from original 128MB)
Hard Drive: 40GB
Optical Drive: DVD-RAM drive (upgraded from stock CD-ROM)
Video: Intel Extreme Graphics (on the motherboard)
Sound: AC97 (on the motherboard)
Network: 10/100 NIC (on the motherboard)
Modem: old v.92 56K modem (came with the computer)
Peripherals: eMachines keyboard, Logitech Wheel Mouse, Cyber Acoustics speakers (replaced the stock eMachines speakers)

So... any ideas? My inclination is to just replace the motherboard and processor, have my folks buy a new copy of Windows, and set them up with a "new" PC (albeit in the existing case). But if anyone has actually managed to get a similar eMachines system back up and running after a problem like this, I'd love to hear about it so it could at least buy them some time to pick out new hardware.

"The thing that stumps me is that I know the eMachines PSUs tend to take out the motherboard as well when they die, but I don't figure it's the motherboard since I've seen PCs with dead motherboards before. They just don't do anything, and this computer is definitely running fine until it goes into its strange quasi-hibernation state"...

You don't figure it's the motherboard? Shame on you! It's an Emachines! You already answered your own question. Replace the motherboard... and the CPU just to get something better than they had. Install at least 512MB of good memory... Install XP and your set

Hmm... the fact that you didn't catch that the memory's already above 512MB tells me you didn't read my post too thoroughly... but yeah, I'm realizing the motherboard is most likely the cause of these problems.

This is a learning opportunity for me, since I'm used to seeing a dead computer when it's a case of a fried motherboard. But if it's just dying and not quite dead, I suppose that would make sense.

I said 512MB of "good" menory. This means that the generic memory used in Emachines is not always wise to reuse. This tells me that you didn't read the sticky on Emachines. From now on, just replace both the power supply and motherboard in any failing Emachines, no matter what the failure symptom... This will save you a lot of grief. See you just learned something new didn't you

Here's some more good reading on Emachines:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62782.html

See you just learned something new didn't you

That I did.

My apologies about missing the eMachines sticky. In my defense, it's in a different section (CPUs, Chipsets, and Mobos) than the one in which we're currently posting. I've now read it thoroughly.

In any case, thanks for your advice.

I have an eMachines motherboard and I have never had problems with it. The only time it scared me was it suddenly turned off, but I finally learned that it was my dad who broke the main power circuit...

Hahaha... yeah, I was almost sure that was the case with my parents' eMachine. Turns out I should have given them more credit, and that junky PC much less.

On the upside, it'll be fun to guide them around NewEgg looking for new stuff, and even more fun to install it all for them. It's been about two years since I last built a computer, so I suppose I ought to thank eMachines for bringing this about... :)

emachine

I know everyone does not like emachines,but need help. I have one and it is 't working. The lights on the front flash real fast and nothing happens,if I can't fix it with all your help can someone tell me how to build one? Will it be possible to use anything in it including the case or not?

papa said:
I know everyone does not like emachines,but need help. I have one and it is 't working. The lights on the front flash real fast and nothing happens,if I can't fix it with all your help can someone tell me how to build one? Will it be possible to use anything in it including the case or not?

You can reuse the case, memory and processor if you purchase a compatible power supply and motherboard. If you have no experience building computers, I strongly suggest that you get someone close to you, to help you with this. What is your Emachines model number?

emachine

Thank You for replying, the model of my emachine is T1842. No I'm not computor savey, but I was in hope that I would be able to learn how to do it.

Ok Papa,
your T1842 is a 1.8Ghz, Intel Celeron 400MHz, 128MB System Memory and a 40GB hard drive, all on the Emachines Imperial motherboard.

Parts Needed:
Intel Celeron 400MHz FSB processor, DDR Memory capable motherboard
300 Watt ATX Power Supply

Copy of XP for reloading on new motherboard. You will loose all your existing data!

Also be aware that your processor is from what they called the "Willamette" generation of the Celeron/Pentium-4. Some newer Socket-478 motherboards aren't compatible with that generation of Celerons, so your current processor may not work. (One particular motherboard is the Biostar P4M80-M4, which I bought to replace the motherboard in an eMachines T1742.)

Of course, it's all immaterial if you opt to just buy a 2.8GHz Northwood Pentium-4 processor (which would be a significant improvement in performance from your 1.8GHz Celeron) from NewEgg for $71. That will work in any Socket-478 motherboard.

emachine

Thank You! I will see if I can find the parts somewhere (local store or webb). If you know of a place on the webb please let me know and again Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back