Enter Network Password

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to network my desktop(win2k) and my laptop(win98) using a linksys router. I am able to take files from the laptop using the pc now but when I try to connect to the pc from the laptop it asks me to enter a password. I never set a password!

Can anyone help?

On the PC (Win2K) open an account in the name of the laptop-user (with the password that he uses to logon onto the laptop ), then give him/her the appropriate authorisation (read/write etc)

When you try to reach the Win98 machine from the Win2K machine everything is fine?

But when you try to reach the Win2K machine from the Win98 machine it does now work?

Win98 by default does not support the authentication scheme in Win2K, but it tries with it's own username and password.

Therefore the username and password must match... I.e. on the Win98 machine set the username as "Administrator" without password if that is what you use on the Win2K machine...

Or, create a new user on the Win2K machine with the same name as the Win98 machine (Start>Run>compmgmt.msc>Local Users and Groups>Users.....)

Tip: always use a password for your computers, otherwise it becomes extremley easy to hack your computer from the internet, there is a share called $C with full access to all files on your computer....

(try to type \\compuername or IP-Address\c$ in the run prompt.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back