Entire school board resigns following parent-mocking Zoom broadcast

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: If you're a public body and decide to disparage people on Zoom, make sure the call's set to private. That seemingly obvious piece of advice was ignored by members of a northern California school board, all of whom have now resigned following a parent-mocking video call that was accidently broadcast to the public.

A Zoom meeting of the Oakley Union Elementary School District board of trustees was caught by NBC News Bay Area reporter Bigad Shabad and posted to Twitter. As you can tell by the liberal use of profanity and amount of insults aimed at parents, the participants didn't realize the call was available for all to see.

Before the meeting began, some board members complained about parents who criticized schools closing during the pandemic.

"It's unfortunate they want to pick on us because they want their babysitters back, said former board president Lisa Brizendine.

Board member Richie Masadas offered an opinion on why parents might want their children out of the house.

"My brother had a delivery service for medical marijuana and his clientele were parents with their kids at school," he said.

At one point, participant Kim Beede asks, "Are we alone?" She should have made sure the answer was no before threatening a parent who'd scolded her on social media for attending a party after announcing it wasn't safe to return to in-person learning.

"Bit*h, if you're going to call me out, I'm going to f*ck you up," said Beede.

Another section of the call saw Superintendent Greg Hetrick talk about new technology in another district that cuts off public comments at precisely three minutes. It was praised by the other members, who said, "we need that" and "good idea."

The moment the board realized the call was going out live is also captured in all its glory. Bede lets out an understated "Uh-oh" after reading a comment that the broadcast is public. "We have the meeting open to the public right now," she said, to which Brezendine replies "Nuh-uh."

As a result of someone forgetting to check Zoom's settings, a petition was launched calling for all board members to resign. It didn't take long to reach almost 7,000 signatures, at which point the trustees resigned and released a joint statement:

"We deeply regret the earlier comments that were made in the meeting of the Board of Education earlier this week. As trustees, we realize it is our responsibility to model the conduct that we expect of our students and staff, and it is our obligation to build confidence in District leadership; our comments failed you in both regards, and for this we offer our sincerest apology."

Public Zoom fails have become a common sight during the pandemic, though most of them are pretty innocent, like the lawyer who was unable to remove a kitten filter.

Permalink to story.

Okay, now, to answer the questions that seem to ignorantly ignore the ONE comment that made all the others have to resign alongside her. Really, only ONE comment in the group was bad enough to force a resignation, but because ALL of them were involved in the convo and saying mean stuff, her comment reflected on ALL of them.

The comment about "Bit*h, if you're going to call me out, I'm going to f*ck you up," is the one that went so far over the line that ALL of them had to resign for not calling her out when she said that. That is a threat of violence, and right now in the current political atmosphere, even intimating the threat of violence is too far.

This went down exactly as it had to. They were busted. There was no rebuilding confidence in them and after the threat part, it can be assumed easily that convo parts not recorded may have been worse. This is a school board. Threats of violence are bad enough when it's a police union or a city council... but this is a SCHOOL board with a member threatening somebody. She's lucky not to be arrested in this circumstance.

At this moment in time nothing will surprise me at video chat/calls/conferences anymore.

I remember at the beginning of Human Malware reading an article that for the first time in the history of the US Supreme Court during presenting the verdict you could hear flushing of the toilet. :D

That got me into uncontrollable LOL of epic proportions. Another Zoom faux pas at this school is just normal day in the World we living. Of course teachers should bear full disciplinary consequences for being such dirtbags. How they imagine pupils/parents can have even shred of respect for them now?

The person who said that parents were only upset because they wanted their "babysitters" back was dead on right. Sorry, parents. You chose to have children, and in doing so, you have to accept all that goes with it. If you didn't want to have to deal with things like this, then you shouldn't have had children. Suck it up, take care of the children YOU chose to bring into the world, and quit your whining. You have no one to blame but yourselves. And before anyone asks - no, I don't have children, never wanted them, never will, and will never understand people who do.

Having served on a school board many years ago I can confirm that these sorts of conversations are fairly common BUT in nearly every case the board president steps in quickly and reminds all the members that it is the parents that we serve and represent and while we may not agree, if we can't accept their comments without prejudice then we shouldn't serve. I left my own appointment when a group of parents started campaigning to restrict and/or eliminate controversial books from the curriculum and remove them from the library. There must be a balance in every school and those that don't create and maintain a balance will not produce well rounded, clear thinking students.

Condescending teachers, none of whom have missed a paycheck, need to get back to class, like last fall. The teachers unions are the real problem but I have lost a lot of respect for teachers too, it's not about the kids, never was to them. Yes it is a generalization but please show me a teacher that is working to get kids back in school.

Seems like even in this article comments some do not realize that not all parents are deadbeat parents. If you think you can get the same type of education, interaction and social skills remotely you are being ignorant. With the big drop in numbers recently this COVID crap is just going to become more political for lockdowns and pay me free money not to work.

This is how they really think. How often does this play out in Democrat districts? I suspect more than you think.

"They want their babysitters back."

Firstly, who dedicated their education and careers to actually become babysitters? It's called doing your job.

Secondly, who's paying their salary and how? It's called laws and forced taxation.

These arrogant ****s seemed to have forgotten.

Having served on a school board many years ago I can confirm that these sorts of conversations are fairly common BUT in nearly every case the board president steps in quickly and reminds all the members that it is the parents that we serve and represent and while we may not agree, if we can't accept their comments without prejudice then we shouldn't serve. I left my own appointment when a group of parents started campaigning to restrict and/or eliminate controversial books from the curriculum and remove them from the library. There must be a balance in every school and those that don't create and maintain a balance will not produce well rounded, clear thinking students.
It is a partnership after all. Educators teach. Parents should deliver teachable children. What I do have a problem with is Leftist ideology being forced on the kids. That isn't education. It's propaganda. Controversial topics are best left to the home.

One point made by Jordan Peterson I think is fairly spot on.
The Left tend to produce new business models.
The Right tend to run them more efficiently.
Seems about accurate.
Both sides do need each other. Balance is key.

Seems like even in this article comments some do not realize that not all parents are deadbeat parents. If you think you can get the same type of education, interaction and social skills remotely you are being ignorant. With the big drop in numbers recently this COVID crap is just going to become more political for lockdowns and pay me free money not to work.
This excatly, school teaches more than math, it teaches social interaction and how to behave in a group setting.

And some kids can't learn remote, my niece is dyslexic with a 76iq she's falling behind because my sister wasn't trained for special education needs, but the special ed teacher can't do remote effectively.

Then you have the tax and paychecks still being paid. Why are our taxes paying for an empty building and the salary for the lunch lady or janitor, or even the coaches when they are doing 10000% nothing. If school is staying remote then lower our taxes to only cover teachers salaries.

Condescending teachers, none of whom have missed a paycheck, need to get back to class, like last fall. The teachers unions are the real problem but I have lost a lot of respect for teachers too, it's not about the kids, never was to them. Yes it is a generalization but please show me a teacher that is working to get kids back in school.

I know one, my 3rd grade teacher still teaches, she's in her late 50s now, she is fighting the board to have her students back because she doesn't want them to fall behind, but she one of the rare teachers more concerned about her students than getting a pay raise while not working.

No reason, other than a pandemic that, even with lockdowns et al, already killed half a million (OLD, FRAIL, FAT) people in the US alone, yeah.
Nope, CDC said schools are low risk now and kids can be 3 foot apart and dont have to be quarantined if exposed! So its no longer a danger, your government said so. Also if you test positive that doesnt MEAN youre positive and you dont have to quarantine unless you get 2 positives!

I mean you wouldnt be claiming the government is....LYING to you, would you? They'd never lie about a disease to get people to do what they want!

Have you ever actually WORKED with teachers, or are you just generalizing? Because anyone who works closely with teachers will tell you there are 2 major camps, many teachers want the kids back in school because they are very well aware that virtual learning is not as effective. Then you have many MORE who dont want them back because the US media just spent the last year banging on the FEAR TERROR PANIC DOOM drum over the freaking coof heard round the world. Do you just expect all the FEAR TERROR PANIC DOOM over coronavirus to just.....dissapear, especially when the media is STILL harping on that war drum?

Parents are some of the most hypocritical B@st@rds you'll ever have to deal with.

The teachers I know want their kids to return to school more than 6 hours a week because they know students are disconnected and are not receiving the same education with remote learning. On the other hand, I expect many of the most vocal teachers wanting to continue remote learning indefinitely are either happy they don’t have to deal with children as much or have unreasonable fears about the virus. It’s okay to be concerned about the virus, but to not be okay with any well thought out plans to return is different.

The person who said that parents were only upset because they wanted their "babysitters" back was dead on right. Sorry, parents. You chose to have children, and in doing so, you have to accept all that goes with it. If you didn't want to have to deal with things like this, then you shouldn't have had children. Suck it up, take care of the children YOU chose to bring into the world, and quit your whining. You have no one to blame but yourselves. And before anyone asks - no, I don't have children, never wanted them, never will, and will never understand people who do.

Good for you not having kids, nothing wrong in that. However, you cannot just sit there on your side without understanding a parent's side of things.

Just because kids go to school, it doesn't mean they aren't accounted for by parents. Even when kids go to school they have to be accounted for by a parent before, during and after school. A lot of parents work and the schools closing means a whole lot of headaches for parents that work during the day.

Parents now have to find an alternative for their kids to be handled during work hours. They may now have to pay for a care facility of some capacity that wasn't in their budget before (child care is out right f'ing expensive....overly expensive in many states, actually) or parents have to stop working or try to adjust their work schedule to stay at home with the kids. This means adjusted income or complete loss of income because they have no other options.

Parents now have to be the school teacher and parent at the same time when it comes to distance learning, while still doing their normal daily jobs. My wife takes on most of this role for our family. She's lucky her boss allows her to bring our kids to her work where they can do their distance learning, not a lot of places allow this. However, she now has to constantly help the kids with school work because the resources (active teacher in the class room) is no longer available through distance learning because of limited time the teacher has with the class and do her job at the same time.

My wife and I are dealing with things. It has thrown a wrench into life, but we've been able to adjust pretty easily compared to a lot of other families. We both still work, the wife can have the kids go to her work and do their distance learning so we don't have to find a third party to care for the kids during the day (which would cost a **** ton of money in our state - our two kids when toddler age and pre-school age were in full time daycare, it cost us nearly $24K a year and this was 6 years ago, so I'm guessing the costs have only gone up).

Not everyone with kids is the same predicament, but a lot of parents have been bending over backwards to accommodate their kids now and try to balance their work life. Or parents have had to give up their work to take care of their kids.

If you did have kids and now a school system dumps them back to you, all while expecting you to maintain your job and teach your kids at the same time, you'd have a different outlook on it. Luckily for you, you don't have kids and you can maintain your way of life, but you shouldn't be so quick to judge those that do have kids.

Back