EPA certifies Ford's top-end Mustang Mach-E for 300 miles of range

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Ford created quite the uproar when it unveiled the Mustang Mach-E in late 2019. Purists and critics alike weren't so much upset over Ford embracing an all-electric drivetrain. Rather, many couldn't understand why Ford went with the Mustang brand when the crossover EV has virtually nothing in common with the traditional pony car.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Monday announced certified range numbers for several variants of Ford’s upcoming all-electric Mustang Mach-E.

The standard-range eAWD version of the Mach-E received a final EPA-estimated range of 211 miles, which is based on a full charge. The standard-range RWD variant hit its goal of 230 miles of range, the agency said, while the extended-range eAWD model was right on target at 270 miles. The premium extended-range eAWD Mach-E received an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles.

How does that compare to the competition?

A quick check of Tesla’s website reveals that the cheapest Model 3 (starting at $37,990) has an estimated range of 263 miles. A long range plus Model X gets you 371 miles of range starting at $79,990, and if price is no barrier, a Plaid version of the Model S has an estimated range of over 520 miles on a single charge (and starts at $139,990).

Lucid Motors, meanwhile, said its all-electric Air sedan will have a range of 517 miles in its Grand Touring trim, which starts at $131,500 (after a federal tax credit).

Ford said the first deliveries to customers in the US will start in December.

Masthead credit: betto rodrigues

Permalink to story.

300 Miles range sounds good, but there are some main concerns with it:

#1 How long does it take to recharge?
#2 How much does it cost?
#3 How spacious is it?
#4 Where can it be recharged?
#5 Can I road trip it?
#6 What happens if I run low on energy?

That is just heresy!! I always wanted a Mustang, I was hoping in the future I would be able to afford one if I keep up the hard work.... but I don't want an electric abomination! :-(

I would imagine they have a section of the website that answers commonly requested queries, suggest that’s the best place to start.

#3 How spacious is it?
#5 Can I road trip it?

"estimate" being the best word to use. In the city, where range is less important, electric vehicles go way above their range thanks to regenerative braking.

but on the highway, where that range is much more important to plan with, electrics commonly get well below their estimates. I'd be surprised if that "300" miles gets over 225 IRL, before counting in things like AC and headlight usage.

Also that thing is a total affront to the "mustang" name. May as well have named it the "electric ford GT".

#3 How spacious is it?
#5 Can I road trip it?
#1 likely several hours
#2 a shitload
#3 likely similar tot he escape or edge
4# standard DC fast charging points I have a whole 1 of them within 100 miles of me!
#5 only if you are a masochist who enjoys splitting your time 50/50 between driving and refueling
#6 You're stranded. Enjoy!

#3 How spacious is it?
#5 Can I road trip it?
1. 10% to 80% 45 minutes. 35 for the smaller battery.
2. Dealers are saying between $45 and $63K
3. Seats 5.
4. Anything from a super speed charger to 120v at home.
5. As well as any EV with a 300 mile range.
6. You recharge it.

Sheesh. Where do you live man in the middle of the Mojave?
I live in rural Little Rock and there are 4 within 14 miles of me.

If you live outside a city of at least 200,000 there are likely NO such charging stations. Hardly anyone drives EVs in the less affluent or cold parts of the country. Their completely impractical for the overwhelming majority of drivers, as well as very expensive. Their nothing but a status symbol for rich virtue signalers.

Sheesh. Where do you live man in the middle of the Mojave?
I live in rural Little Rock and there are 4 within 14 miles of me.
Isn't Little Rock the largest city in your state? "Rural Little Rock" is thus an oxymoron.

In any case, not many people on their way somewhere wish to take a detour and 30-minute stopover at a charging station.

Isn't Little Rock the largest city in your state? "Rural Little Rock" is thus an oxymoron.
Well it is Little Rock, and it is rural.
In any case, not many people on their way somewhere wish to take a detour and 30-minute stopover at a charging station.
Yes, so recharge at home before leaving. Try to refuel at home with a gasoline vehicle.

Last edited:
If you live outside a city of at least 200,000 there are likely NO such charging stations
Actually the furthest distance between 2 charging stations in America is 100 miles in Wyoming. Even there the closest station in your own residence.
Hardly anyone drives EVs in the less affluent or cold parts of the country.
Hardly anyone in less affluent areas drive any vehicle that starts at $39,000. And I really cant say I have seen proof that people in cold climate drive fewer EVs. Honestly psycros I'm not sure of the connection.

Last edited:
Which invalidates the entire premise of randomly-located charging stations, doesn't it?
Wow. A perfect circle. Congrats Mommie Dearest.
They have a new invention that allows that. It's called a gas can.
"We top our tank at home with gas all the time. And we really enjoy taking this can to a gas station and filling it up when I have to stop to fill my car" said nobody ever.
if you live in a big city, you're not in a rural location. By definition.
In my case, 2 huge local farms say Im in a rural area. Im about 11 miles outside of the city.

Last edited:
Wow. A perfect circle. Congrats Mommie Dearest.
We completed a circle because your logic was circular. You extol the virtues of public charging stations "only" 14 miles away from you, then you admit they're impractical and tell people to just charge at home. If you kept a consistent message, we would avoid these little kerfuffles.

"We top our tank at home with gas all the time. And we really enjoy taking this can to a gas station and filling it up
Of course, most people never do that because they can refuel in 3 minutes at points directly along their travel route. Contrast that with a 14-mile detour to sit 30 minutes at a charging station.

In my case, 2 huge local farms say Im in a rural area. Im about 11 miles outside of the city.
If you're outside the city, then you're not in the city, as you originally said. Again, try to keep from contradicting yourself constantly.

Last edited:
Of course, most people never do that because they can refuel in 3 minutes at points directly along their travel route.
And EV owners can take 20 seconds to plug in at home and be ready for the next day.
If you're outside the city, then you're not in the city, as you originally said. Again, try to keep from contradicting yourself constantly.
I have a Little Rock zip code. Did I say I was "in" the city?
then you admit they're impractical and tell people to just charge at home
No. All I did was point out there is an additional option that gas engine owners will never have. You complete yet another circle.

Im curious. Do you and bowavek have any, meaningful conversations? I will bet that is a hoot.

Last edited:
And EV owners can take 20 seconds to plug in at home and be ready for the next day.
Lol, not hardly. The Mustang Mach-E takes well over 24 hours to charge on a standard 120v wall plug. If you purchase and install a 240v Type II charging station, you can cut that down to 7 hours -- 10 hours for the extended-range model.

I have a Little Rock zip code. Did I say I was "in" the city?
Why, yes you did: post #8, above. Little Rock is a city. If you live in Little Rock, you live in a city. Perhaps you simply don't understand how prepositions work in English syntax?

Lol, not hardly. The Mustang Mach-E takes well over 24 hours to charge on a standard 120v wall plug
I know. You may be the only one that didnt understand that after plugging in you go inside and leave it until morning. Not to mention there isnt going to be many charging with a 120 line.
Why, yes you did: post #8, above. Little Rock is a city. If you live in Little Rock, you live in a city.
:laughing: Ok this needs said. You take anal to a new level (and yes I know, "nu ahh you do") Little Rock consists of 25 zip codes and 125 square miles. And if it makes you feel better I technically live in East End Arkansas. Kind of a rural suburb in my opinion but the State of Arkansas ruled us rural in the 50s which gave us a few extra passes of snow removal on the very rare snow event..
Perhaps you simply don't understand how prepositions work in English syntax?
Of course I do. I just dont feel a complsive need to push the boundries of anal retention.

Last edited:
So I just read here that the Mach-E has been delayed for up to a month.
Bummer. But Ford says they are working on a few bugs before release.
So I guess I should just be happy about a company that wants to do as little field debugging as possible.

Kinda sad that props should be given to any company that wants to release a product as bug-free as possible but Tech brought us here long ago.

Back