Epson WF 3640 and the Y:\ and Z:\ Drives it creates not accessible?

I've had this Epson Printer several years. I always wondered about those drives it created on the PC. Never had a use and never cared. I do now have interest so I went to them for the first time.

The EPSON created 2 virtual drives I guess you'd call them? Y:\ for USB on the printer and a Z:\ for the SD Card. Both ports on front of the printer. I suspect the PC is supposed to be able to access those printer drives, ports whatever on the printer. BTW I am wireless and wireless is working just fine.

At 3640 setup those drives were created and show on the PC under MY PC but do not show under Disk Management. They also show under the Explorer Folder and Files Tree on the left. When I double click on them I get this report. (darn, have to copy it word for word. Couple of my comments will show between some parenthesis. So I'll leave it at that. Thanks for any direction on this! jack ":-Dx
====================================
(image uploaded for this)
Location is not available

Y:\ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc inserted,(there's a USB drive in the printer USB port) and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet. (I suppose. The printer works wirelessly just fine) If the location can not be found it might have been moved or deleted.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-02-22 141741.jpg
    Annotation 2019-02-22 141741.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Annotation 2019-02-22 141821.jpg
    Annotation 2019-02-22 141821.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
Z: (and I suspect Y: ) is usually some kind of RAM drive, probably protected and in this instance I bet it gets stuff for the printer that is not intended for other use.

Z: (and I suspect Y: ) is usually some kind of RAM drive, probably protected and in this instance I bet it gets stuff for the printer that is not intended for other use.

Yes, thanks. In my feeble mind I'd at least think like this. In Explorer if I have a SD in or a USB they show up as drives. All I have to do to them is click on them to see the contents of the drive (USB) With these X and Y they show like the others but they do not show what's in the USB or Card on the printer. In fact is give the message I typed above. X and Y are unavailable . . . they should at least say empty. But they are "unavailable" so it says. Something is not connected up or recognized. If I have a USB in the printer I should be able to click on X:// and see what is on the the printer thumb drive when plugged in. Thanks, I'll keep digging. and trying.

This is resolved, and I am shamefaced. Everything works when you plug something in those printer ports. Never experienced that before, or the "drive or device not available" then proceeding to tell you how to troubleshoot. Most drives just report in Explorer "Folder or Drive Empty. I just plugged in a USB and a Card. Which incredibly makes sense now that I think. Thanks for your input!

Back