Error Loading OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeAdCrAb KILLA

I recently added another (320GB) hard drive as the primary slave in my system. I installed it correctly and set it up accordingly. The drive was formatted and partioned correctly. Once I put some files on the drive I restarted my computer and I got a black screen with "Error Loading OS" message. The computer does nothing. How do I fix this? Please don't tell me I have to do a full system restore!!! I am running WinXP Home Edition. This NEEDS to be fixed right away!

I assume because you installed the new drive as slave, you aren't trying to make it your primary drive (I.E. put system files on it and boot Windows)?
If not, have you tried disconnecting the new drive and use the old configuration? Does that work?

What types of files did you move/copy to the new drive? Not worried about music and videos or pictures, but did you try to move files that might be part of the system? Obviously if you moved system files, XP can't just know to look on the other drive.

Somehow I'm guessing that the system is trying to boot off the new drive instead of the old one, even though you hooked as slave, so check in the CMOS for the boot order. Or just disconnect it to make sure it isn't the problem.

And no I don't think you'll have to do a system restore unless somehow you really did haxor some OS files.

Problem Fixed

Woot, fixed it. Went into the BIOS and saw that the system was trying to boot Windows from the new drive, dunno why. Anyway, I switched the boot order and its all set now. Thanks for the advice anyway.

i know why it did this. you do not create partition for slave drive (data drive). you just format it or use manufacturer's utility software to format this drive. the slave drive does not have operating system on it. so partition is a mis-nomer.

Actually you HAVE to have a partition in order to format. Otherwise without a partition, what are you formatting?

Anyways, part of my "advice" WAS to check boot order. And I quote:

"Somehow I'm guessing that the system is trying to boot off the new drive instead of the old one"

Well glad it's working, at least I know my guesses are on spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back