Ethernet switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodent

hey guys i have a quick question bout a situation i have going on. the computer i am now on is hooked up into the internet via a wall ethernet jack, which is hooked into an ethernet switch (or hub i think) in another room where the cable modem is located. the tv that i play my xbox 360 on is a good 10 feet away or so, and i want to get connected onto xbox live from there.

i have an ethernet cable that is long enough to run from the xbox itself to the wall ethernet jack that the computer is hooked into.

what my question is is that if i buy another ethernet switch and hook it into the wall jack, and then from that switch run another ethernet line into the computer which is literally right on top of the jack and then another line from that switch into the xbox 10 feet away, if this will work since the wall jack itself is hooked into another ethernet switch in another room.

i can kinda guess that was kinda annoying to follow but i just wanted to explain everything to avoid confusion. help would be really appreciated :D. thanks guys

im not sure if theres a difference between a hub and a switch, but i do know that the wall jack is hooked into an 8 port linksys ethernet switch. if that helps at all

I'd suggest getting a switch. And yes it will work, just as long as you disable DHCP on the new switch (assuming it is enabled on the main one). It will act just like a network extender.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

hubs and switches normally do not have DHCP as a service and that causes the
up stream router to be referenced for those addresses.

a switch will perform better than a hub when under heavy loads, but somewhere
on the net there needs to be a router near the ISP connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back