EU proposes scrapping daylight saving time across Europe

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
It's just dumb: I’m not going to try to pretend that I’m not biased on this subject, so let’s just put it out there. Daylight saving time is stupid, especially in a modern world that operates 24/7. It just doesn’t make sense anymore.

The European Union has decided that it doesn’t think seasonal time changes make sense either. Reuters reports that the European Commission issued a draft directive proposing to abolish seasonal clock changes.

If approved by the European Parliament, the last required EU clock change would occur on Sunday, March 31, 2019. After that time each member state of the EU would have the choice of whether to remain on “Summer Time” (as it is called over there) or they can switch back to Winter Time on Sunday, October 27, 2019. After that, no further clock changes will be recognized.

“Either we will stay with summer time or those countries that decide to go to winter time, they will switch to winter time in October (2019) and that will be it,” said Commissioner Violeta Bulc in a press conference.

The proposal comes on the heels of an EU survey asking citizens if they were for seasonal time changes. The citizenry responded with a resounding “nay.” Eighty-four percent of the record 4.6 million respondents said that they opposed the bi-annual time change.

"We are clearly heading toward smart cities, smart buildings and smart solutions which will bring much more savings than changes of the clock."

The concept was first proposed clear back in 1895 and was first implemented on a national basis in 1916 by Germany and Austria-Hungary. Other European nations soon followed, and the US partially adopted the standard in 1918, and then more fully implemented it during the 1970’s oil crisis to “conserve” energy.

The thought was to use more light during the day to cut back on electricity usage. During the early days, it was found to only conserve about one percent of energy consumption. More recent studies between regions that observe DST and areas that stay on standard time show no observable energy savings at all.

Indeed, it is the Commission’s opinion that daylight saving time has outlived its usefulness.

“Newer studies confirm that the energy savings are nowadays marginal,” said Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic. “We are clearly heading toward smart cities, smart buildings and smart solutions which will bring much more savings than changes of the clock.”

Now if the United States would just follow the EU’s lead, maybe we could all stop worrying about a 100-year-old rule requiring us to change our clocks twice a year. What do you think?

Permalink to story.

I would like to have the most amount of daylight in the evening hours after work, so I guess I would prefer the summer hours. I'm a night owl. The more active I can be in the evening, the easier it is for me to sleep at night. Of course companies that feel they need to start early won't like it.

I was ready for daylight savings to go away years ago.

If I remember correctly, Congress was ready to abolish it two years ago, but some 14-year old kid made a presentation "proving" that it saved millions of dollars. And who wants to make a 14-year old kid trying to save money look bad? So they kept it.

As a programmer I don't whether to be happy for all the future projects that would benefit from the simplicity of this, or sad for all of the old one's that would need updating.
That's what I was thinking about too. There are some electronics where that would be a pain to update... (but more recent electronics would only need a patch).

Which, nowadays, most people use their phone for time anyways.

In the US the only purpose of DST was to provide more light in the evenings so kids could help out more on the farm when they got home from school. Needless to say this did nothing to help the rural kids who were struggling with schoolwork Didn't really help the ones in town, either, since later sunsets meant even more temptation to play outside. Now we don't have kids who farm OR play outside. Progress!

Yeah, dump it. We don't need it and it just creates confusion among those who don't care to learn how it works.

If they are going to stick with one time, then stick with daylight savings and dispense with standard. Or! Split the difference at the :30 mark. At 3:00 AM, move it to 2:30.

In the US the only purpose of DST was to provide more light in the evenings so kids could help out more on the farm when they got home from school. Needless to say this did nothing to help the rural kids who were struggling with schoolwork Didn't really help the ones in town, either, since later sunsets meant even more temptation to play outside. Now we don't have kids who farm OR play outside. Progress!

I have been led to believe DST is still a benefit up in scotland which gets far less daylight than the rest of the UK. That said, with brexit on the horizon I'm not sure this will be an issue for us.

I guess it just comes down to your personal background. From an Urban standpoint it makes no sense. from a rural/agriculture perspective, that extra hour of daylight could be beneficial. maybe.

We don't use daylight savings here in Arizona, people who work outside get up earlier in the summer time to avoid the heat. Usually in 30 min increments. As far as updating your electronics iv yet to come across anything that I cannot disable DTS. The uncheck feature is perfect for this situation but sometimes you have to select your timezone, GMT with or without DTS. Those devices will have to be updated as GMT is usually the only time zone with that option.

I think the hope point of time changes was to keep the daylight time in the morning consistent. It's been effective in doing that, but then there's these studies every year about how bad these changes are for our health. I don't know. Studies are inconsistent too. I can't count how many times studies swing like a pendulum on whether or not something is good or bad for your health. Maybe the work day time can change and not the clock. If you go to work in the summer at 6 because of the sunrise, then go to work in the winter at 7 because of sunrise. At any rate, work begins at sunrise. Ancients didn't have all of these studies, and yet we're here. This week on Caveman News.

DST was just a selling point for summer amusement parks and such. Lose 1 hour you gain 1 hour. Worst part you have to figure out how many hours it is for your friend in UK or AUS down under... LOL

Time zone changes remain constant (aka there's always and only 24). If you know your local time (either Std or Dst), then the correspondent still has the same difference.

The FUN begins in location(s) which long ago elected to ignore DST (like domestic Arizona).

Having ONE AND ONLY ONE time standard would be progress!

Back