Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM

holdum323

Hi . For all TS techs that enjoy a challenge. Give this a look. I'm tired of this error clogging up my event viewer. I have spent all afternoon finding a answer for this error. I know you get these errors, because all windows users get these errors. I followed each step in this link https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/event-id-10016-distributedcom.47/ and hopefully it will solve my issue. It's a windows bug that has been around for ever and I'm hoping I solved it. If you get bored, give it a look and let me know what you think.
Do you have a better solution for this error? I would love to hear about it.

Hi Sorry if I'm out of line here, but wondering why my thread is not showing up on recent Posts:D
Does a member have to post a reply first?
OK Very strange. That seems to be true. After I posted a reply, it now shows up in recent posts. I will now wait and hope for replies from TS members about this issue.(y)
Thank you! You are appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm sure that I won't know if I have solved this issue for a few days;but it shouldn't take long before I know, and I will post back here. So far it's looking good, but have been there before and been disappointed several times.:'(

You have to know when to holdum and know when to fold them. I haven't learned that yet, but I'm trying.:D The question is will I survive on techspot? I hope so. I really like this forum a lot!

Last edited:
Hi Way off topic but I would really like to hear what @captaincranky has to say about this thread. LOL
I'm always ready to learn new things :D You seem to be a survivor here on techspot and that's my goal.

Last edited:
@Hoodlum666 I say, "you should have stuck with Windows 7, because that nonsense isn't clogging up my event viewer, no way, no how"!

But really, don't you have anything better to do with your computer than sit around reading the event logs.

And if this is an issue, what's the problem? (Never mind, that was a rhetorical question).

It seems sort of circuitous and superfluous, to have a problem, solve the problem, then blog about it. Congratulations are in order, I suppose?

Windows errors happen in certain sets of hardware, against certain softwares, under certain usage conditions. Everybody's are different.

Once upon a time I used to try and help people build machines. Until one day, a person came wanting help with a build. Silver tongued devil, claimed he was a counselor or therapist, on some other crap happy medical fraud pseudo-occupation.

I pointed out he only joined to have us build a machine, and he would be gone right after it was done. His posting history obviated those conclusions.

So, I told him he could spray all the sunshine and manure around he chose, he was nothing more than a parasite. And that he should con one of the teenagers to use a sucker to get the machine built. Since that's exactly what he did, I can take credit for helping him get his new computer built.

But then, after he had used the junior member all up, he tried to get me "fired", from a job I was doing voluntarily.

I'm just a plain spoken individual, and I know a human parasite when I see one. I predicted we wouldn't see or hear from him after the machine was complete, and we haven't. The mods supported me and said they had always seen me try to help others.

I haven't felt the inclination or emotional need for fulfillment, to offer my assistance toward fixing the computers of others since that incident. I also very much doubt that my opinion will differ in the foreseeable future.

Please cease and desist from trying to suck me into this bullspatter you're dropping.

I have no objection to you attaining the title of, "The Great and Powerful Wizard of OZ and Windows 10", or any other heights you may desire to attain here at Techspot. Just leave me the f**k out of it, is that clear?

An individuals problems are their own, and that encompasses the problems they create with the thinking machines around them.

Windows 10 is a sucker's bet. It's some pushy a**hole by the name of Satya Nadella, trying to ram this "last version", ofWindows down the world's throat as a "service", and after he gets enough suckers on board, he very likely might try and pull the plug on Windows as a standalone product, and peddle it as a subscription model. In the meantime, He's going to suck every penny, out of every fool on the planet, either via mining their data, or herding them to the "Windows Store".

And don't think these mutts in Redmond don't have one eye keeping tabs on Adobe's well being, after their switch to an all subscription model.

Apple already has a closed ecosystem, and use planned hardware obsolescence, to effectively offer their OS as a "service". AFAIK, their OS upgrades aren't aren't anywhere near as dear as a copy of Windows, but also (AFAIK), their newest OS won't run on their older hardware. So, yeah, that's a mock subscription model.

Last edited:
You need to be precise in the symptoms if you expect a solution;
is of no help. Open the Event Viewer, find one or more of such events and COPY the details and post back in your follow-up

You need to be precise in the symptoms if you expect a solution;
is of no help. Open the Event Viewer, find one or more of such events and COPY the details and post back in your follow-up
Hi @jobeard That is the event in Event Viewer, and the link I posted in post number one is the fix.(y);) My Event Viewer is clear of all errors at the moment. Thanks for your reply.
Here's the link again. https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/event-id-10016-distributedcom.47/
Capture25.JPG

I'll step you through event logs.
There are four levels of data
  1. information
  2. warning
  3. error
  4. critical
The ONLY reason for Joe Homebody to look into events is for Error and Critical entries - - those Informational entries are very high level trace records, eg:
  • starting service xyz
  • service xyz entered the run state OR xyz service was terminated
Interesting, but of no consequence to anyone.

The portion I alluded to is the detail portion; you are showing only the summary info
You dbl-click on any record and there is a detail portion that is very precise in the cause of the event record being produced, eg:
upload_2018-3-31_11-24-48.jpeg
Without the details, no one can do anything but guess at the problem

Hi @jobeard If you open the link in my first post, you will see what I tried to do. I'm trying to learn some things about the Event Viewer. Here's quote taken from the link in my first post.(y) Here's the error I was getting and trying to solve.
Recently Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM has become a topic of interest on our forum, but also on other forums.

At first glance it seems this is some new issue for the Windows 10 user, but in reality this particular event is quite common and has from time to time been logged on most users computers running a Windows OS regardless of version they have.

Generally, Windows manages quite well and this error is nothing too much to concern oneself with, however, for those running a Server or Network Service (for example a printer) this error if left unresolved can become troublesome and disruptive to day to day operations.

As I said before without the details Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM is meaningless

Consider a parallel: your car has Check Engine Light on ...

Hi Friend. I'm trying to learn a few things about the Event Viewer. This is not a serious thing. I used the link in my first post to try to fix that event error and thought I would post what I done it here on TS and see if anyone here was aware of the fix. Sense the fix I have not got that error. When I get another error I'll report it here on this thread.
Thank you for your help. You are appreciated.(y)(y)
Capture25.JPG

My ONLY point to you is that the DETAILS Tab on each event record is critical to understand the specific issue. For these DCOM issues, there are multiple causes that can be shown in the details, it's seldom that you get a one-size-fits-all.

Glad you solved your situation.

Thanks @jobeard . They are about the only system errors I get. That's why I thought I'd try to fix them. I keep a close watch on my PC and know what's going on with my performance. I keep a well running laptop. I only have one PC and share it with my wife. So far I haven't seen any DCOM errors after the fix. They really don't cause any problems that I know of. I'm thinking I changed the permission with my fix so that the system has the permission. Does that make sense?
Thanks for your help. You are appreciated.
Windows 10 error ID 10016 is a notorious error that has been around since at least Windows 8. It is flagged when an application tries to start the DCOM server when it doesn’t have the permission to do so. While not a showstopper, the error can clog up Event Viewer with hundreds of instances.

Here's the DCOM error! More stuff then I know or care about.

Attachments

• DCOM.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here's screen shot that shows where I changed permission in registry, even though I never went into the registry. I did this through component services.
That's what I did and now I'm not getting DCOM errors.
Capture25.JPG

Hi @jobeard I just got a DCOM error. This time I went into the registry and checked full control. Will see what that does. I'm learning new things.;) Thanks for your replies. You are appreciated!
Capture25.JPG

I think this is what I want to change? I gave "System" Full control as shown in above post.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

Back