Every handyman needs this $200 tape measure

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Why it matters: If you've ever fumbled around with a measuring tape, you can appreciate all the functionality that the T1 Tomahawk has to offer. Whether hanging a picture or marking where to cut a piece of wood, both professionals and hobbyists can benefit from a measuring tool that does just about everything.

On Tuesday, construction tool startup Reekon Tools launched a Kickstarter campaign for its newest gadget, the T1 Tomahawk. The T1 is a somewhat bulky tape measure, but it makes up for the bulk with so many handy features that it's hard to complain.

At its heart, the Tomahawk is a high-end 25-foot professional tape measure with all the features you would expect, like an omnidirectional magnetic hook, a blade lock, and replaceable blade. Where the T1 shines is its almost overwhelming list of features. Seriously. There is so much this device can do we're only going to mention the functionality we find the most intriguing.

The T1 Tomahawk is a little over 6-inches long and weighs about a pound and a half. It has two digital screens—a top-mounted OLED and a side-mounted E-Paper display. The OLED is primarily used to show a digital readout of the measurement. The E-Paper screen has various functions, including listing recent measurements and displaying previously-stored measurements.

The tool has eight buttons, many of which have multiple functions. For example, the button used to toggle between metric and imperial measurements also flips the orientation of the top display when long-pressed. Other buttons include capture (a measurement), cursor up/down, absolute measure from front or back of the chassis, clear, and laser.

Yes. Laser. One of the Tomahawk's primary selling points is a laser-line projector, which creates a bright green line to either side of the rule. The laser can help with scoring a measurement or fixing a horizontal or vertical alignment. Speaking of scoring, the T1 has a clip for a pencil or pen, so measuring and marking is almost a single step.

The Tomahawk comes equipped with Bluetooth to communicate with an upcoming mobile app. The app adds extra functionality by being able to record workflows and other pertinent information about a job. Presumably, things like recording cut lists and sending them to other crew members can be facilitated through the app.

The device is not without its downsides. For one, it's relatively fragile for a measuring tape. Standard professional tape measures can withstand drops from great distances. The Tomahawk is only drop rated for one meter. However, it has several mounting points for wrist straps or other securing devices to compensate for this weakness.

The price point is also a deal-breaker for the casual user. It retails for $260 but can be pre-ordered through Reekon's Kickstarter page for a pledge of $199. Both prices decrease the device's desirability for home use, but it's not unreasonable for hobbyists or construction professionals when compared with other digital tape offerings. Plus there is so much more that this tape can do, you really should check out the Kickstarter description.

Reekon started its funding campaign on Tuesday with the modest goal of raising $10,000. It shattered that objective in less than 24 hours and, as of publication, sits at $1.28 million with 58 days left in the fundraiser. Those interested should act fast if they want one for $199. There are only eight left before the minimum price bumps up to $229.

Permalink to story.

First off, it would need a way to replace the tape. Any tape measure I've ever owned, the first thing that ends up going bad is the tape, always ends up cracking right near the first few inches and breaking off or creating nasty sharp edges and also it doesn't retract properly....so the tape measure just ends up in the trash.

I don't know who they're trying to market this to, but tape measures also get the hell beat out of them. They get tossed in a toolbox, dropped, knocked off your pants/toolbelt, used as a makeshift hammer (yes, I've seen lazy people use it to try and knock a nail head down further).....not everyone is Bob Vila and looks all trim and proper and keeps tools looking in tiptop pristine condition. One good drop and you're left with a basic tape measure that cost you $200.

No way in hell I'd spend $200 on this thing.

First off, it would need a way to replace the tape. Any tape measure I've ever owned, the first thing that ends up going bad is the tape, always ends up cracking right near the first few inches and breaking off or creating nasty sharp edges and also it doesn't retract properly....so the tape measure just ends up in the trash.
"At its heart, the Tomahawk is a high-end professional tape measure with all the features you would expect, like an omnidirectional hook, a blade lock, and replaceable blade."

And obviously, after shelling out $200-$260 for it I doubt anyone in their right mind will treat it as they would a normal tape measure or tool.

EDIT: Although, on second thought it would be funny to see someone hammer a nail with it. The real question is: "Will it blend?"

I reckon this thing will sell well. Tradesman like their tools and aren’t shy of spending much more than this on them.

"At its heart, the Tomahawk is a high-end professional tape measure with all the features you would expect, like an omnidirectional hook, a blade lock, and replaceable blade."
Let's face facts, replacement part prices tend to be commensurate with the price of the original item. It follows logically. then, that the price of the replacement tape would likely be upwards of $50.00.

Which means I could have 2 Stanley two 25' "Fat Max" units, for less than the (tentative/guesstimate) price of the tape alone..

(BTW, you didn't include the length of the tape in the article).

As far as it goes,,the accuracy of a standard tape measure, is completely adequate for framing rough out, sheet rocking, and most construction tasks.

And don't get me started about "Kickstarter", alias "Star Citizen's money pit"/

Here's harbor Freight's selection: https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Tape measures

You're welcome. (y) (Y) .

Will it blend? Where have you been all my life!!!! Now how to I fit my old Chevy in there .... ?????
I tell you that guy fell onto a brilliant marketing scheme. A friend of mine bought a Blendtec after seeing a few of those videos. It's actually a really good blender.

And obviously, after shelling out $200-$260 for it I doubt anyone in their right mind will treat it as they would a normal tape measure or tool.

EDIT: Although, on second thought it would be funny to see someone hammer a nail with it. The real question is: "Will it blend?"
You are the wind beneath my wings!

(BTW, you didn't include the length of the tape in the article).
First of all thanks and fixed.

Let's face facts, replacement part prices tend to be commensurate with the price of the original item. It follows logically. then, that the price of the replacement tape would likely be upwards of $50.00.
Replacement blades are not available yet but will follow shortly after units start to ship. They will be $20.

And don't get me started about "Kickstarter", alias "Star Citizen's money pit"/
I hear you there. The one thing that can be said is that Reekon has already established itself with several other tools unlike Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games. Plus their $10,000 goal would seem to indicate the company is relatively flush on the manufacturing cost already and is fairly confident it will be launching the Tomahawk regardless of what comes in on KS. The tool is already front and center on Reekon's website. Ballsy move if it was planning to not go to production.

$260 for [roll of] 25-foot professional tape?
last time I was in the store I saw laser Bosch for like 80 euros, ofc, it hasnt '25-foot professional tape'
just the rest

You're quite welcome. (y) (Y)
Replacement blades are not available yet but will follow shortly after units start to ship. They will be $20.
That's low enough to be in, "knock me over with a feather land"..
So I guess that the "Fat Max" is out, but the HF "Magnum" is still in play.
Reekon has already established itself with several other tools unlike Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games. Plus their $10,000 goal would seem to indicate the company is relatively flush on the manufacturing cost already and is fairly confident it will be launching the Tomahawk regardless of what comes in on KS.
When you come right down to it, I guess launching a Kickstarter campaign is a lot less costly than hiring an outside firm to do a marketing survey..

If it's durable and always accurate, $200 might be justifiable. But for me at first glance, that price point is too high.
It is for a high production model. But this is basically a limited run prototype. Needs many hands real world testing. Thats the chance taken on a kickstarter project. If you're willing to risk it then $200 isnt so extreme. If successful then can be cheaper.

Will it blend? Where have you been all my life!!!! Now how to I fit my old Chevy in there .... ?????
Lol its been lost within the gutter with all the other time and money wasting youtube videos! Sick world where some starve and others buy new just to wreck for entertainment and greed. YAY!

I don't know who they're trying to market this to, but tape measures also get the hell beat out of them. They get tossed in a toolbox, dropped, knocked off your pants/toolbelt, used as a makeshift hammer (yes, I've seen lazy people use it to try and knock a nail head down further).....not everyone is Bob Vila and looks all trim and proper and keeps tools looking in tiptop pristine condition. One good drop and you're left with a basic tape measure that cost you $200.

No way in hell I'd spend $200 on this thing.
This measuring tape isn't for people who do crappy work and don't take care of their tools.

"The Tomahawk is only drop rated for one meter"

WHAT?!

That is in no way, shape, or form acceptable. I don't feel like doing basic physics, but the amount of force that a 1-meter fall would inflict on this device is small. Small enough that there are host of other daily things that might inflict the same, if not more, force on this device...

I like it, if I was doing a lot of work, it'd be worth the money in time saved IMO. My only concern is durability- it's going to have to take some licks and still work.

Back