Exactis exposed 340 million personal records to the internet

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Why it matters: Data aggregation firm Exactis exposed the records of more than 230 million individuals in an unprotected database to the internet. Considering the current population of the US is said to be around 325 million, chances are high that your information was on its servers.

Exactis is not a company that I had even heard about until today, but apparently, they have probably heard of me. The firm collects publicly available data on individuals and businesses for marketing purposes. According to its website, it sells these profiles to third-party marketers and resellers.

“In today’s highly competitive global business environment, data is your single most powerful asset for achieving business growth,” it says on its website right before mentioning that it has access to the records of 218 million individuals in 110 million households. It also boasts about having 88 million emails and 112 million phone numbers. However, it would appear that it has even more information than what its website claims.

According to Wired, a security researcher stumbled upon an Exactis database that was wide open to the internet. Night Lion Security researcher Vinny Troia said the DB contained over 340 million records. About 230 million are for individuals, and 110 million are businesses. This is significantly more than those exposed during the Equifax breach last year.

"Each record contains entries that go far beyond contact information and public records to include more than 400 variables on a vast range of specific characteristics."

What’s more, the records contain more than just email addresses and phone numbers.

“I don’t know where the data is coming from, but it’s one of the most comprehensive collections I’ve ever seen,” said Troia.

While the files did not contain any financial information or social security numbers, they did hold wildly personal information such as interests, habits, and the number, age, and gender of any children of the individual.

“Aside from the sheer breadth of the Exactis leak, it may be even more remarkable for its depth: Each record contains entries that go far beyond contact information and public records to include more than 400 variables on a vast range of specific characteristics: whether the person smokes, their religion, whether they have dogs or cats, and interests as varied as scuba diving and plus-size apparel. Wired independently analyzed a sample of the data Troia shared and confirmed its authenticity, though in some cases the information is outdated or inaccurate.”

Troia notified both Exactis and the FBI about the exposed data last week. Exactis has already tucked the data away, but there is no way to know how long it had been accessible to anyone looking. He found the database by searching for ElasticSearch servers using the search tool Shodan. Out of 7,000 returned servers, Exactis stuck out since it was completely unprotected. Troia believes it is very likely that others already have the data.

“I’m not the first person to think of scraping ElasticSearch servers,” he said. “I’d be surprised if someone else didn't already have this.”

Even though the information contained does not pose a significant risk for financial fraud or identity theft, it still provides opportunities for social engineering. While a lot of the data is available publicly, some is not. Magazine subscriptions, credit reports, and credit card transaction data sold by banks can provide an aggregator like Exactis enough information to make certain assumptions that are not of public record, like whether or not a person smokes or skydives.

Executive Director Marc Rotenberg of the nonprofit Electronic Privacy Information Center’s says, “The likelihood of financial fraud is not that great, but the possibility of impersonation or profiling is certainly there.”

Wired has reached out to Exactis for comment on the situation a number of times, but has so far been ignored.

Permalink to story.

This company is a marketing profile leach that steals and trades your profile like a commodity, and they don't care how they store it, since the nature of their business is such they trade your privacy, so they've never had any respect for your privacy to begin with, and never will.

So ok, they've just sharded themselves, will probably pay a joke fine, if any, and then back to ill-acquiring more personal profiles.

I wish there was a law against such parasites.

...and credit card transaction data sold by banks

holly cr..p! the f.d - up world we live in.

Last edited:
Isn't collecting all possible public information and some private information the equivalent of stalking? Or perhaps dumpster diving? It's one thing to collect information relevant to a service you provide. It's another to collect and aggregate information when providing no service to the person you are collecting from nor any disclosure, especially with the intention to commercialize that information.

Clearly we need rules governing data. That includes who can buy/sell information, transparency requirements, and data retention/right to be forgotten.

Started using Brave a while back. Just recently, I was trying to figure out why my Facebook tracking pixel wasn't picking up my activity on one of my websites.

I forgot I had Brave's "shield" on.

Turned if off and, poof, suddenly I could see where I had been on the analytics page.

I also navigated over to Facebook's own analytics tools page. Over 110 "ads and trackers" immediately popped up in my shield notification icon.

Relevance to this article?

If you aren't using some form of protection from trackers on the web, you are putting yourself at risk every time one of these big data firms decides to cut costs with security. They don't just track you with a tool here or there. They use hundreds, if not thousands.

Started using Brave a while back.

Thanks for the exposure. I haven't heard about Brave yet but downloaded it after seeing your comment. Looks good so far! Any good private emails you'd recommend? I know about protonmail but the inbox size seems a bit limited.

Host your own. You can't guarantee privacy unless you hold all of the data yourself.

Imagine if Exactis did their data collection without the internet. Someone would have to sift through your trash for receipts, watch what stores you go to, listen in on conversations you have with friends, read your mail, peek at have credit cards are in your wallet, follow you in line at the grocery store taking note of what you bought...

Thanks for the exposure. I haven't heard about Brave yet but downloaded it after seeing your comment. Looks good so far! Any good private emails you'd recommend? I know about protonmail but the inbox size seems a bit limited.

Brave is the browser Brendan Eich came up with after Mozilla booted him a few years back. Better than Firefox in every way, imo.

As for email...

I don't use any special emails services. I just use gmail for my personal and self-hosted accounts for business.

Started using Brave a while back. Just recently, I was trying to figure out why my Facebook tracking pixel wasn't picking up my activity on one of my websites.

I forgot I had Brave's "shield" on.

Turned if off and, poof, suddenly I could see where I had been on the analytics page.

I also navigated over to Facebook's own analytics tools page. Over 110 "ads and trackers" immediately popped up in my shield notification icon.

Relevance to this article?

If you aren't using some form of protection from trackers on the web, you are putting yourself at risk every time one of these big data firms decides to cut costs with security. They don't just track you with a tool here or there. They use hundreds, if not thousands.

NoScript is your friend. It is amazing how so many sites tie facebook and google scripts into their pages, not to mention many other private information harvesting sites. How they feel they can reach into your computer and grab whatever they want boggles my mind. It's digital trespassing.

NoScript is your friend. It is amazing how so many sites tie facebook and google scripts into their pages, not to mention many other private information harvesting sites. How they feel they can reach into your computer and grab whatever they want boggles my mind. It's digital trespassing.

Brave has this built in. It's controlled via toggle slider in the shield menu.

Brave is the browser Brendan Eich came up with after Mozilla booted him a few years back. Better than Firefox in every way, imo.

As for email...

I don't use any special emails services. I just use gmail for my personal and self-hosted accounts for business.

?

Gmail is free, because when you create an account you sign your privacy away. Google has the right to sniff you emails.

EVERY Email system is built using the concept of Store And Forward. You send to some correspondent using some form of SMTP provided by your email provider. The entire "send" (aka text + meta) is first STORED on the SMTP server. As the server gathers more outbound email, it hits a threshold count and begins transmission(s) to the correspondents email server where it's queued to their inbox.

So there are FIVE points were your mail can be maliciously read by some third party:
  1. while sending from your system to your email server
  2. while stored on your email server
  3. while in-flight between the two servers
  4. while queued on the correspondents inbox
  5. while being imported from that server to the recipients email reader (assuming POP3 service).
Gmail now provides SSL encryption for points 1&5
Ignoring point 3, the nightmares are at points 2 & 4 - - while the data is at rest on some HD. MOST are left in plain text so the only protection is access security of the server. Any breach leaves EVERYTHING exposed.

Web mail access operates on IMAP instead of POP3, but that only avoids point 5 as there is no import.

?

Gmail is free, because when you create an account you sign your privacy away. Google has the right to sniff you emails.

I don't handle any sensitive business over Gmail. The only information they can sniff out of that is what mailing lists I'm subbed to and receipts from payment processors (see: data they already have access to).

EVERY Email system is built using the concept of Store And Forward. You send to some correspondent using some form of SMTP provided by your email provider. The entire "send" (aka text + meta) is first STORED on the SMTP server. As the server gathers more outbound email, it hits a threshold count and begins transmission(s) to the correspondents email server where it's queued to their inbox.

So there are FIVE points were your mail can be maliciously read by some third party:
  1. while sending from your system to your email server
  2. while stored on your email server
  3. while in-flight between the two servers
  4. while queued on the correspondents inbox
  5. while being imported from that server to the recipients email reader (assuming POP3 service).
Gmail now provides SSL encryption for points 1&5
Ignoring point 3, the nightmares are at points 2 & 4 - - while the data is at rest on some HD. MOST are left in plain text so the only protection is access security of the server. Any breach leaves EVERYTHING exposed.

Web mail access operates on IMAP instead of POP3, but that only avoids point 5 as there is no import.

Sorry, this is not about if they can maliciously read your gmail account, it is about the agreement you sign giving them the right to snoop. Perhaps you don't remember when gmail was in beta and people were disturbed by the contract they had to sign to use gmail.

I do and have never bothered to use my gmail account in about 14 years. There is nothing malicious about it when it is part of the agreement you sign in using your FREE gmail account.

That is why it is free....

Sorry, this is not about if they can maliciously read your gmail account,...
Yes, that's all true

HOWEVER, many have no idea how email is implemented and where the exposures lay :grin:
Might as well get ALL the bad news delivered in one bitter pill.

Back