Expect RTX 3000 shortages to get even worse this quarter, warns retailer

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Most PC gamers are still enviously eying those who managed to grab an RTX 3000 series graphics card, but there was hope the supply problems might ease this quarter. Sadly, a new report claims Nvidia's Ampere line's availability is actually going to worsen throughout Q1.

As reported by Tom’s Hardware, retailer Alternate, which operates in several European countries, spoke to Nvidia about the nightmarish situation consumers face when it comes to purchasing an RTX 30xx card. The bottom line is that things are going from bad to worse.

Alternate asked about each of the RTX 3000 products. It appears that a new RTX 3080 and RTX 3060 Ti are going to be the most difficult to secure, with both of the cards experiencing few deliveries from manufacturers combined with many open orders.

"The chance of an RTX 3080, especially for new orders, is virtually nil," writes Alternate. "Unfortunately, prices for new orders will continue to rise in the near future due to market forces."

While supply of the RTX 3070 and RTX 3090 is also suffering, the number of people on the waiting list for these cards isn’t as high.

The pandemic has caused chip shortages that are affecting several industries, including gaming hardware and automotive. In the latter case, many large companies have been forced to scale back or pause production of vehicles at their plants.

The problems caused by demand outweighing supply are set to be compounded this quarter when the Chinese New Year begins on February 12, at which point many of the country’s factories will close for between one and two weeks. Additionally, a shortage of the raw materials used to produce graphics cards is making matters worse.

If all that wasn’t enough, the rising price of crypto means many of those on the waiting list for an RTX 30xx card are miners looking to add them to their rigs. Some are circumventing the shortages by purchasing new Ampere laptops and repurposing them to mine Ethereum.

As with so many in-demand tech products, eBay remains the best, albeit much more expensive, place to secure an RTX 3000. Scalpers have sold over 53,000 new Nvidia/AMD cards worth $65 million, and their average prices have been increasing.

Despite the shortages, more Ampere cards appeared on the latest Steam Survey. We’ve even heard rumors of Nvidia relaunching the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super to address some of the demand, though that’s looking increasingly unlikely.

Permalink to story.

I was hardcore shopping for a new AMD rig pre and post christmas but have come to accept my plight as a casual gamer. I thought I would jump into 4k this gen. Nope, my 6 year old gear isn't actually that bad, there's nothing I can't do/play. Sure, 30% more frames is nice, I'm over it. Save your money folks. Use what you have till it don't work no more.

Boy, am I glad that I bought my RX 5700 XT when I did. These shortages and prices are through the roof.

I saw the same model of RX 580 that I bought less than a year ago for $132 going for $450. I want to flip that card, but it's for my backup rig.

Not a trend, this is the new normal. Gaming is the most popular hobby on earth and so accessible. As people are divided by the class war that perpetually rages, the elites wanna put some distance between the tiers.

I'm on the same boat as many like McKokoa for example: I have a competent card a 1070 and I was considering bumping up to 3070 or 3080 to just jump into 4k medium to high settings but seeing all this, well I just you know, wont: 1070 can still play anything and everything out and at most I just need to attach some 1080p screen to play games if scaling is not particularly good at 1080p or 1440p upscaling but the failure here is that Nvidia and AMD are more dedicated to making money from miners.

That is fine but I am definitively a lost customer: I am never buying anything above an entry level card like a 1650 again. If it opens my games at modest resolutions then I'm good. You're just not going to sell me on ray tracing or 4k gaming or anything of all you promised if you are just not going to figure out how to block the blockchain because I'm not going to do this for every release cycle, enough is enough.

Interesting and sad! The $875 I paid for an RX6800 is sounding like a deal now....that is TRULY sad!

Anyone wants to buy an RX480 I have in a box for, let's say, 2,000 bucks? 😁
Anyhoo, how long is it going to take for authorities to investigate and fine these companies for this cartel scam?

Boy, am I glad that I bought my RX 5700 XT when I did. These shortages and prices are through the roof.

I saw the same model of RX 580 that I bought less than a year ago for $132 going for $450. I want to flip that card, but it's for my backup rig.

Same I was on a i7-970 for like 10 years and did my AM4 build in Dec 2019 which was like 4 months before the lock down went into full effect. Talk about good timing, I also was able to get a 5800X locally and sold my 3800X so cost to upgrade was only $250. I'm sitting on a RX580 and will wait this one out since I won't be upgrading my monitors and it still holds it own at 1200p.

You just gotta stalk Microcenter...

I got every single card I wanted, but it took legwork.

Aim for a 3090 if you can.

And what about those that don't live in the US or close to a micro center.
This doesn't really help those people does it, this site isn't even American!

This is what's great about 4K gaming resolution being a luxury. If the shortage was with food, you'd have to pay. But at over $1,000 for a GPU, I too am thinking 1440p looks darn good.

There's protection in numbers too. If I were a game dev who had originally planned to ship a new game requiring this current generation of cards to play well, I'd be updating my plans now to make sure it gets good reviews and good word of mouth on earlier generation cards, because I'd know that's what much of my target audience will have.

Ethereum mining likes RAM so that's why 3070s aren't as popular (and potentially why Nvidia created a 12 GB 3060 LOL).

Stay strong people and soon you may be able to get a 3070.

Not a trend, this is the new normal. Gaming is the most popular hobby on earth and so accessible. As people are divided by the class war that perpetually rages, the elites wanna put some distance between the tiers.

There are more rational circumstances driving the market, which has already proven to be highly elastic in the past.

Demand for semi conductor is high while supply is low due to the pandemic. The pandemic will end eventually. Supply chains will improve while people slowly pick up their old hobbies again.

Mining, Etherium particularly, is driving huge demand for 3080s and 3060tis. The end of the road for Etherium mining is in about 1-1.5 years, at which time minors will simultaneously dump all of their second hand cards on the gaming market. For a few months AMD and Nvidia will find themselves competing with a torrent of their own second hand products at race-to-the-bottom prices. It happened before...

It's just a bad time to buy into next gen CPUs, and an awful time to look for a new GPU.

Seems I am sticking with my 1080 for the third year in a row - thankfully, I have been able to somehow find ryzen 5 cpus in stock, as my 6700k is certainly past its best

There's protection in numbers too. If I were a game dev who had originally planned to ship a new game requiring this current generation of cards to play well, I'd be updating my plans now to make sure it gets good reviews and good word of mouth on earlier generation cards, because I'd know that's what much of my target audience will have.

Unless you get sponsored to make next gen look like it‘s a must have...

Just wondering if the article meant to say the 3060ti and 3080 or if shortages will be for the upcoming 3060 and 3080ti?

Just got a 2080 super as new, for 50% of new price. I couldn't care less about 3000 series, I only do 1440p gaming, 2080 super will fulfil the role admirably for several years, I'll wait for Lovelace or RDNA3. Same with my cpu, I just got an unopened 3700X for 15% discount on retail prices. I'll skip Zen 3 and wait for Zen 4 or maybe even see what Alder Lake brings to the table.

I was hardcore shopping for a new AMD rig pre and post christmas but have come to accept my plight as a casual gamer. I thought I would jump into 4k this gen. Nope, my 6 year old gear isn't actually that bad, there's nothing I can't do/play. Sure, 30% more frames is nice, I'm over it. Save your money folks. Use what you have till it don't work no more.

Wait until you can get a proper RTX card, or else true, the rest are all the same, more polygons, more textures, they don't really make much more impact now, but RTX, man, after Cyberpunk I don't want to play anything without RTX now, it's that significant.

Same. Got rx580 in my secondary pc. But I if I lose my 1080ti, it will be a catastrophe if I dont have a backup gaming pc.

You just gotta stalk Microcenter...

I got every single card I wanted, but it took legwork.

Aim for a 3090 if you can.
lived down the street , that's how I got my 5950X ,ASUS DARK HERO , but no markup , I can get a GPU right now ,6800xt $1200 at Micro Center, not going to pay that price, my 1080Ti will do.

They can be in shortage forever, I'm not buying it at inflated prices from some scalper ****.

ive been waiting since Sept for new GPU's and only got into this buying cycle again last year - I dont mind the wait - I wont die. :)

Ethereum mining likes RAM so that's why 3070s aren't as popular (and potentially why Nvidia created a 12 GB 3060 LOL).

Stay strong people and soon you may be able to get a 3070.
I want a 3080 ti but they are going to get 12 gig instead of 20 potentially.. boo lol

"Nvidia apologizes for RTX 3080 launch, promises more cards are coming" - September 21, 2020:

I said back then that nVidia was insulting our intelligence and the only one who liked my post was Goat11. That's ok, I've been around long enough to know that this was coming and that nVidia was perfectly happy to sell to scalpers and miners.

I learned to never trust nVidia more than a decade ago. I've come to expect arrogance, lies and deceit in everything they say and do. It's about time that everyone realises that this is how nVidia operates because they've never failed to meet my low expectations and no more.

Last edited:
Back