Explorer window pops up After logon at fresh Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidlen

I had to do an premature rebuild and I am back .The new Box is working very well,although I had to downgrade some Specs due to finance constaints( I wasn't ready yet)
Anyway, When the computer boots,immediately after logon, an Explorer window(Same one) pops up .Nothing else weird occurs.

I am running Win 2k-Sp 4 (Clean load),all up to date.I am behind a Switched Router with Zonealarm Pro ,3 machines on this Lan.(Same system I have used for 3 years,very reliable)
Anybody seen anything like this ? I did a search here,nothing.
I am running all the standard AVG,Spybot and Adaware.and it looks clean.
Somebody jump on this.

Thanks Real;
I knew about(and searched) the bulk of that list ,except here;
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
The value of this key is set to C:\Winnt\explorer.exe
But I am not going to touch it without some guidance. Is this seperate from my normal boot to Desktop/Start Menu, and then I can run Explorer from right click>Start button?
In other words can I remove this value from that key?
Does this Key/Value exist in your machine?

My key there only says: Shell REG_SZ Explorer.exe without the path.
This in a brandnew install of W2K/SP4 with all MS updates. (I changed mobo, so I had to).
It should be save to take the path-name out.

Mine is the same now also , but the Explorer window still pops up.FYI it is always the 'D:\Progam Files" folder 'for my own Admin user logon.My simple user logon does not do this.
I am stumped , so I am off to the Internet search, in the meantime I'll listen to any ideas!
Also on that same Reg file above there is a setting for ' Auto Restart Shell" which I turned off-no change.

Liquidlen said:
...Anyway, When the computer boots,immediately after logon, an Explorer window(Same one) pops up .Nothing else weird occurs.

I had this problem for several months and finally got tired of closing the Explorer window that popped-up. I downloaded the trial version of Custom Startup (http://www.gboban.com/csup/) and I noticed that in the list of start-up entries, the "(Default)" value for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" contained "-Hide Window" (or something like that). I deleted that value (not the key) and when I restart, no more unwanted Explorer window. Hope it's that easy for you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back