Extension support for Microsoft's Edge browser is coming soon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the major shortcomings of Microsoft's new Edge browser is the fact that it doesn't yet support the use of extensions. That may be changing in the near future, however, as the Redmond-based company prematurely (and promptly pulled) a webpage offering up a pair of extensions for Windows Insiders to try.

The two extensions in question were for Pinterest and Reddit (the Reddit Enhancement Suite). The former extension adds a Pin-It button to Edge while the latter adds a bit more functionality to the popular social networking / entertainment / news site.

Twitter user @h0x0d (aka WalkingCat) was the first to discover the page and managed to capture some screenshots before Microsoft took it down. WalkingCat has since made the extensions available for download via mega.nz.

Microsoft was expected to introduce extension support in its most recent major Windows 10 update but those plans were ultimately put on hold. The release date is now rumored for either the end of this year or in early 2016. Once they do finally arrive, they'll likely be offered up through the Windows Store.

Have you given Microsoft's Edge browser a try yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it? If not, what's holding you back? Is it the lack of extension support or have you not made the move to Windows 10 yet? Either way, feel free to chime in below.

Permalink to story.

It's supposedly going to be able to support Chrome based Extensions with VERY little change to the code.

Use it fulltime, no problems except for how the 'settings' section is designed. Will be nice to make pdf's out of webpages once extensions supported

I use it all the time, but it is slow and locks up and crashes a lot. But IE11 is even slower under Windows 10. My wife uses chrome and has her own homepage setup, and I never have been crazy about firefox.

Never have been a fan of any of the Microsoft-made browsers ever since Internet Explorer came to be. I don't think I ever will.

Used it a little. With no extensions (no password managers) then it's not all that useful to me right now. It's alright in Xbox one too.

Ad blocker or GTFO...

Seriously...

Man you're not even exaggerating. My computer is at least 8 years old now (Core2Duo Merom Processor) and I simply cannot navigate most sites without having a good Ad Blocker. I mean I know some sites try to be elegant with their ads but most are just ridiculous.

I like Edge, it complements my main browser (Opera) really good, specially for quick search. But where I find it most useful, it's on my laptop, it really helps to keep the battery longer.

The day Edge has half of what google's Chrome browser offers, I will use it on a daily basis. What I love about Chrome is it keep's everything in-sync. Chrome on Android phone & the tablet & the home laptop, everything is ready and waiting.
I just wanna tell Micro$oft to get their greatest minds together and make 'IT' happen! Make the world forget the debacle of Windows 8. Plus, I think a billion Windows 10 user's/installs is easily achievable... but only if u Redmond don't get complacent with the past success.

Edge: where in the settings, I cannot find where to get clicked link open a new tab and Focus to the tab.
Frankly, it feels beta-ish, unfinished, and my demands are Very basic, as my win10 experiment is a large touch-screen that has been less than satisfactory - like when W10 decides to update itself while I am watching a netflix video and brings the system to its knees, can't get Edge to Respond, in Any way. Yeah, real nice.. we attempted to replace a family tablet with this thing, never guess what everyone continues to use - hint, it isn't Edge.

The system is at <5% cpu 20 hours a day, would it be That hard to wait until that condition to deliver the all-important update?

Same reason I don't use Chrome, no menu bar. If you have a standardized UI, stick to the specs. Apple understands this. With the advent of Windows, it had seemed that MS understood this as well, until the ribbon fiasco. And now their "new" browser looks like a cheap copy of Chrome, with all the cons, and none of the pros of Chrome.

I like the Edge browser and its interface. It works fast. Unfortunately, there is no extensions and the option to watch the videos. I am still testing the browser.

I use Waterfox, a 64 bit fork of Firefox. Smooth, fast, has a menu bar, works with all the plugins and extensions that FF uses, and unlike the new 64 bit FF continues to support NPAPI plugins. If you like FF, Waterfox will be FF only better, It is noticeably faster than the 32 bit version of FF. It even automatically imported all my settings, plugins, cache, etc., from FF, so that it had the exact same look and functions as my FF. Switching from FF to Waterfox was seamless and painless.

Back