Exteriorizing a P/S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike6

Has anyone tried exteriorizing a PC power supply? I'm building a new MATX unit and I'd like to use a full size power supply but case is for SFX only. It does not appear that it would be too difficult to accomplish. Thanks.

I used to have a twin psu system with both of them outside my pc!! I bolted both of them to the bottom of my case and used them as feet too!!!

What problem are you having exactly????

No problem really...

My only problem is selecting a quality power supply to fit into my MATX case -- 300+ watt SFX selection is somewhat limited in quality units. Just thought if I could locate the p/s outside then it would broaden my options considerably. Also allow me to locate hdd's in the area previously occupied by the p/s. P/S would simply sit behind the computer.

Seems like it would only take an 8 pin connector to do the trick.

Thanks for your response.
--Spike

How do you figure it would only take an 8 pin connector to do it??

The psu to mobo alone is a 20 way!!!!

I did this in order to test if a pc was working. This was after i took the old PSU out, so there was a large hole from the old one. I simply taped it to the top, and just plugged everything in. Luckily it all reached, though I have tried with other PSUs where the cables werent long enough.

Ph30nix

Req'd P/S Connections...

Yes, there are 20 to 24 pins on the m/b P/S connector. But a schematic of that connetor as well as the peripheral connectors shows only 8 separate electrical connections are required as follows:
+12v
-12v
+3.3v
+5v
+5 (stand by)
Common
Power-On Switch
P/S-On sense

Of course two +12v rails would make it 9.

I assume the duplication in the connections is for 2 reasons (1)to simplify the m/b circuit trace layout and (2)to minimize the current carried by a single wire so as to not require larger wire sizes.

Thanks for your responses.

Your assumptions are correct, i have opened up many a psu for repair or modification and every last one of them had the same coloured wires going to the same track on the psu!!! (i.e. all the oranges going to a single 3.3 volt rail)

I however have never come across a dual rail one as yet so i have no idea if connecting the 12v rails together will work ok or not, i guess it will depend on the design of the particular psu!!!!

Lmao Rik, you always respond with exclamation points!!!!!!

like this!!!!!!!!

Almost like you're yelling all teh time!!!!!

And look at riks signature. Look at that bigh IMHO! It's like he's angry or something:

rik - "IN MY F@$%ING HUMBLE OPINION B!%#$S!!!!!!!!

MetalX said:
And look at riks signature. Look at that bigh IMHO! It's like he's angry or something:

rik - "IN MY F@$%ING HUMBLE OPINION B!%#$S!!!!!!!!

Does it look better in RED!!!!:haha:

Thanks Rik:

Thanks Rik for the confirmation of my assumptions.

Come on guys, knock-off the inconsequential squabble. I don't care if a reply comes full of exclamation points or even all upper cased as long as it's relevant.

Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks Rik:

Thanks Rik for the confirmation of my assumptions.

Come on guys, knock-off the inconsequential squabble. I don't care if a reply comes full of exclamations points or all upper cased as long as it's relevant.

Thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back