External hard disk not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a 250 GB external hard disk. I copied some movies onto it from a friend who now says that his drives were affected.

The hard disk ran but after I removed it and plugged it in again, it is not being detected by any computer. The blue color light glows and I can feel the motor running but it is simply not being read by any computer.

Can you please help me with some suggestion ?

I thank you in advance,

Kanwer

I tried to plug it in again, now it makes some strange noise as if some things it stuck and its scratching against something, its a start stop kind of noise. And then it makes the sound, which a USB device makes when it is plugged out !!!

Hi all,

A new update, I can now see it in the "Disk Drives" section of the "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer".

Hi all,

A new update, I can now see it in the "Disk Drives" section of the "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer".
If it is a seagate or maxtor with an external power supply they have a sleep mode. You want to disable that, which you can do with the CD disk that came with it, or from download files from Seagate. Once the drive is mounted (initialized), the disk manager will allow formatting and partitioning. After that you should see it in "My computer."

I tried to plug it in again, now it makes some strange noise as if some things it stuck and its scratching against something, its a start stop kind of noise. And then it makes the sound, which a USB device makes when it is plugged out !!!

That sounds like "The Click of death" and indicates the drive is near death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back