Extreme FPS-drops in games

Marty9231

Hi,

To get straight to the point: I'm having issues with fps in games. I've had this for some time now, and I'm not sure what started it. After about a week of having this issue, I decided to format my computer to see if that fixed the problem. The problem persisted and It's getting increasingly annoying because it makes certain games almost impossible to play.

Games in which I have this issue (until now):
  • League of Legends (most important for me, somewhat rare but I dip as low as 10 fps)
  • Battlefield 3 (I'm sure this is not hardware related, because 3 weeks ago I ran it 50-60 fps on high. Dipping to 20-30 fps, which is severely impairing in a game like this)
  • War Inc Battlezone (the problem manifests itself most clearly in this game, because it has an fps-display that shows when you get below 20. I'm having it like once every 2,5 min. Drops to about 15-20)
  • Minecraft (very rare, but it does happen sometimes. I go from v-synced 60 fps to ~20)
Above are all the games I've installed and play currently, so I don't know if I have it in others. But the fact that I'm having the problem in ALL currently installed games says enough for me to know there's a problem.

What have I tried to fix this problem?
  • I've updated and installed all of the latest drivers for my hardware. I also checked if any of those drivers/any of my hardware were incompattible in some way.
  • I've messed around with the settings in Catalyst Control Center as suggested on a forum about people having this problem, nothing helped, nothing changed.
  • I've tried turning every other relevant software off to eliminate any imcompatibilities and other issues.
  • I've tried turning video-settings to low or off in games (mostly apparent in Battlefield 3). While that upped my regular fps, it did nothing to my fps during a drop.
After trying all the above things, I went and checked which was the weakest part in my setup, and I concluded it was my RAM memory, being only DDR2 (Fatal1ty DDR2 1066). Although it is the fastest, gaming-quality DDR2 type, it was still the weakest link.
My next step was to ask my friend with a beast-setup what his RAM-occupancy was during some of the above games. All the games (except War Inc, because he doens't play that) took up the same or even more percentage of his RAM memory.

Overall conclusion:

I don't know enough about RAM memory to say if that is the cause yes or no. Also, I'm (fairly) confident that it is not a hardware-related issue, because I have the same problems in games like Minecraft and War Inc, both of which are absolutely not RAM-intensive.
Any help or suggestion is welcome and if anymore info is needed to fix the problem I'd be more than happy to provide it.
Thanks in advance,
Marty

to just be right it may no talways be your Ram the problem it may be dust problems from your computer were do u keep the desktop and when was the last time u actualy tried to clean the case ect?

btw 4 gig ram is always recommended for games to play at the best performance

Edit:One more thing list down your specs of the computer please would help more

What PSU have you got? Maybe that's failing. It sounds like some sort of a hardware issue considering you've even reformatted the PC.

I doubt its his psu if he had problems with the psu his pc would have other problems then in games I would probably think it might be his graphics card maybe it outperfmes the psu did u check the requirments of the graphics card before u actualy bought it

Ok, yes, my bad. I'm still used to the old Techspot layout where you could see a persons specs next to their name. Here they are:

Mobo: ASUS M4N78SE
GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition 1GB
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (non OC)
PSU: BeQuiet! Pure Power 530W
RAM: 2x2GB 1066Mhz Fatal1ty Gaming memory
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
dual monitor setup (22" + 19,5")
Logitech keyboard + heatset
Gigabyte mouse

I've cleaned the case just a few months ago when I changed my CPU. I keep my pc next to my desk and it has dust-preventing foam.

Also, I highly doubt it is my PSU because it has always worked with this one. And just since a few weeks I'm having these issues.

did u check the requirments of the graphics card before u actualy bought it
what do you mean by this? I know it's compatible with my other hardware, if that's what you mean. I don't know about my PSU though, does that even have compatibilty issues with anything?

[LEFT]ehhhhh..[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]dual monitor setup (22" + 19,5")[/LEFT]
[LEFT]PSU: BeQuiet! Pure Power 530W[/LEFT]
[LEFT]GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition 1GB[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]I think we might of found the problem I cant confirm it rly but it might be from the graphics card itself or the psu I just read abit about it and some people were complaining to about some fps drops though I never seen a case written were it drops to that bad fps no offence[/LEFT]

None taken, I'm not here without a reason ;)
But the PSU gives more than enough juice, if that's what you mean. I've had it before this GPU and CPU and it handles everything fine. It never gave any issues or anything, until a few weeks ago. But if the PSU would not give enough power, why would it work most of the time?

But if the PSU would not give enough power, why would it work most of the time?

Most of the time your computer is idle or under little load so wouldn't draw much power from the PSU. During load situations (e.g. gaming) it is possible it's not outputting the required power. If you know someone with a reliable PSU you could try swapping it to see if it resolves your problem.

Alright the results are in. My "PassMark Rating" is 1725,3. Now according to the comparison charts here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ I'm even BELOW the chart in the high-end section and in the bottom of the common section. Even with a faulty PSU this seems a little low. Especially because this test only stresses single parts at a time, which should mean my pc is not at a total 100% load, so my PSU should be delivering (more than) enough power.

According to that chart, I should be getting ~5000 rating with this CPU, and I'm clearly not. Could this HUGE difference be caused solely by a PSU not giving enough power?

Ok scratch the above. I just looked at the break-down of the test's results:
CPU: ~5400
GPU 2D: 346
GPU 3D: 2500
Memory: 806
HDD: 950

Now I'm not sure if I should treat this as loose results, or as a whole (Total Rating: 1725,3). But If I look at them seperately, my CPU is much closer to the chart than if I see the test as a whole.

Frame rates in the 2d graphics tests were 1000fps and 3000fps, the one in the 3d test was either 46 or 1046, I couldnt see exactly because the resolution was wrong.

Yes there was flickering for a second or three. My second monitor just went black while my primary monitor flickerd some, went black and then back to normal again.

do the full screen test again and check your fps that should be your normal fps I belive and check the resolution your at

I've just confirmed that this was the beginning of the DX10 test (the flickering). It meant the window was maximizing. Also, the DX10 test shows me either 1046 or 46 fps, but it's cut off so im not sure

em was it flickering because if it flickers it is never a good sign like when your playing games do u usualy get abit black screen or the picture flickers

Back