Facebook sold campaign ads to a Russian company during the 2016 election

William Gayde

Staff

In a statement to congressional investigators on Wednesday, Facebook representatives announced that the social network sold ads to a Russian company during the 2016 US presidential election.

The ads were specifically targeted at voters and have been traced back to a Russian "troll farm" supposedly known as the Internet Research Agency. The ad company is also known to have a history of putting out pro-Kremlin propaganda. Although the total ad spending in this case only amounted to $100,000, the fact that Russia was even able to inject ads into the election at all is worrisome to many.

Facebook has stated that in compliance with their privacy and data policies, they won't be releasing the 3,300 specific ads in question. They did say, however, that the ads were targeted at users with a history of interest in politically charged issues such as gun rights, immigration and discrimination.

Facebook has been facing growing scrutiny for allowing the spread of fake news before and during the election. They have since put in place new procedures to help stop false news and hoaxes but it will be a while before we know if this policy is working.

It is now an accepted fact among the intelligence community that Russia interfered in the election. There are currently four congressional committees and a special counsel investigating whether there was any collusion between the Trump team and Russia. They are also investigating what impact paid social media ads like these and other false news stories had on influencing the public.

Facebook currently has no knowledge of whether or not the ads were purchased in coordination with any Trump campaign associates.

Permalink to story.

Facebook currently has no knowledge of whether or not the ads were purchased in coordination with any Trump campaign associates.

So let me get this straight. Facebook sold ads to a Russian company and they don't know which campaign was favored by this transaction? The same Facebook that tracks everything you do on the internet, somehow knows to suggest people you know in real life but have never interacted with online, and makes billions selling highly detailed user information to businesses, all while an ever-expanding investigation into Trump-Russian collusion can find...nothing?

Yeah. Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Fake news was big money. I wish I could have got into it. Since I am Canadian, would have it been "the Canadians are hacking the presidency!"? lol

Same ol' US bullshit, never taking responsability for anything. Apparently, although nobody wanted him, the bastard ended somehow at the White House. Now they are looking for someone to blame for their mass induced stupidity. The usual suspects are black magic, alien interference or Putin. For some reason Putin made it although the other two are just as relevant.

Money, money, money, money, money. Why did I lie? Money. Why did I stab my co-workers in the back? Money. Why did I cheat on that exam? Money. Why did I kill my wife? Money. Look no further for an answer to 99% of life's biggest questions.

So let me get this straight. Facebook sold ads to a Russian company and they don't know which campaign was favored by this transaction? The same Facebook that tracks everything you do on the internet, somehow knows to suggest people you know in real life but have never interacted with online, and makes billions selling highly detailed user information to businesses, all while an ever-expanding investigation into Trump-Russian collusion can find...nothing?

Yeah. Okay.

Zuckerburg once again confirms that he is a habitual liar .... all in the name of the almighty dollar.

Yeah. Okay.

I agree they know all the information except what campaign was favored??? I call BS too. I bet a dollar that the Hillary Campaign was favored and they don't want to publish that. If it had been slightly for Trump it would show up on every news cast around the world.

Yeah. Okay.

When ever there is a question of legal liability, my take is to expect this kind of response no matter the business.

Furthermore, my bet is that more of this kind of response is to be expected given diminishing government oversight and regulation.

While I appreciate candor and honesty as much as it seems that you do, both are extremely rare in the business world.

Just FB & Zuck refining their methods and excuses for the corruption they'll commit in future elections and if/when Zuck runs.

I personally do not have any facebook accounts. My cats do. One cat told all sorts of stories about HIllary and about how bad and corrupt she and her family were during the campaign, all backed up with articles from various other websites. When he could not provide "official government ID" (they did not accept his "If I am lost take me to this address - name tag", when asked for his mobile phone number he simply replied "cats don't own cell phones" they finally closed the account. He wrote them nice letters asking why his account was closed when there are hundreds of cat and dog facebook accounts. He was never given a straight answer. The other cat who was for Trump has had no problems at all even after posting various opinions of other cats at how they were misled by Trump. He has never been asked for any official government ID or phone number. His owner advised him against sharing any personal data. Mark did not respond to any of the letters sent asking why he only owns dogs.

Back