Facebook wants to unify the underlying messaging infrastructure of WhatsApp, Instagram...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Facebook is reportedly planning to unify the underlying messaging infrastructure of WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook Messenger. Doing so, plus adding end-to-end encryption, has its pros and cons, mostly involving user privacy.

Four people involved in the project tell The New York Times that the overhaul requires thousands of Facebook employees to reconfigure how the platforms function at their most basic level. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has reportedly floated the idea for months but didn’t start promoting it heavily until late last year, the sources said.

“By stitching the apps’ infrastructure together, Mr. Zuckerberg wants to increase the utility of the social network,” the Times said. The sources note that if people interact more frequently with Facebook’s apps, it could allow the company to further build up its advertising business or launch new services to generate revenue.

The initiative hasn’t helped to ease internal strife at Facebook. Instagram founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger left in September after reportedly becoming frustrated with Zuckerberg’s increased day-to-day involvement. WhatsApp founders Brian Acton and Jan Koum exited for similar reasons.

Zuckerberg has also reportedly requested that all of the apps incorporate end-to-end encryption, a security measure that would help protect messages from being viewed by anyone other than the intended recipients.

Once implemented, it would allow for cross-platform encryption, the Times said. For example, a Facebook user could send an encrypted message to a WhatsApp user.

Work to reconfigure the messaging functionality is expected to be complete by the end of the year or in early 2020.

Lead image via Chinnapong via Shutterstock. Second photo via Arun Sankar/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I'd proffer Telegram, but the Russian government keeps trying to subpoena their encryption keys. Maybe carrier pigeon?

I deleted Facebook and messenger app from my phone, time to find Whatapp replacement :p
The guys who made WhatsApp have launched their new version, "Signal" I think it was called. Might be worth a look?

Yeah it's all well and good you boys going on the hip wagon of using different messaging software, but GL persuading your friends to do the same.

But Signal is good, shame 99% of people I know, do not use it.

Yeah it's all well and good you boys going on the hip wagon of using different messaging software, but GL persuading your friends to do the same.

But Signal is good, shame 99% of people I know, do not use it.

That is definitely a problem. I told my fiancee that I no longer want to use WhatsApp and she told me to get a grip......

That is definitely a problem. I told my fiancee that I no longer want to use WhatsApp and she told me to get a grip......

Give her the flipper and tell her to be off on her way!
I was off WhatsApp for 12 months, I've been "forced" back into it.

Here is the thing. If you are worried about privacy then don't, you have non. So, why not at least get something back for it?

The only downsides to all these platforms is bloat, there is a load. It's like buying a PC from the store and before formatting you have 400 browsers, 20 different media players etc...

I was off WhatsApp for 12 months, I've been "forced" back into it.

Here is the thing. If you are worried about privacy then don't, you have non. So, why not at least get something back for it?
Nobody but yourself has forced you back onto WhatsApp.

And speak for yourself; YOU may have no privacy but I have my privacy. I don't use Facebook and friends at all, and I don't post private info "hoping" the service doesn't leak it (for example, Facebook's near-constant practice of deciding they've "improved" their privacy policies so they should flip the privacy settings back to the not-at-all-private factory defaults.) I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, so there is no "getting something back" for giving up my privacy.

I thoroughly believe Zuckerberg's infamous quote "Privacy is dead. Get over it." is simply designed to make people behave in a defeatist way, like "I can't maintain perfect privacy so why maintain any at all?". To me, though, there's a BIG difference between the NSA's illegal and unconstitutional spying program hoovering up the odd bit of info on me (or if someone hired a private eye, having a few odd bits of info for them to find, perhaps also by illegal means..), and placing all your info up for every advertiser, 3rd party, and 1st party, to data mine and analyze to their heart's content.

Nobody but yourself has forced you back onto WhatsApp.

And speak for yourself; YOU may have no privacy but I have my privacy. I don't use Facebook and friends at all, and I don't post private info "hoping" the service doesn't leak it (for example, Facebook's near-constant practice of deciding they've "improved" their privacy policies so they should flip the privacy settings back to the not-at-all-private factory defaults.) I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, so there is no "getting something back" for giving up my privacy.

I thoroughly believe Zuckerberg's infamous quote "Privacy is dead. Get over it." is simply designed to make people behave in a defeatist way, like "I can't maintain perfect privacy so why maintain any at all?". To me, though, there's a BIG difference between the NSA's illegal and unconstitutional spying program hoovering up the odd bit of info on me (or if someone hired a private eye, having a few odd bits of info for them to find, perhaps also by illegal means..), and placing all your info up for every advertiser, 3rd party, and 1st party, to data mine and analyze to their heart's content.

You don't have privacy, stop kidding yourself. Unless you are taking serious precautions with TOR/VPNs and dummy accounts.

Incorrect, I have a certain work related chat in WhatsApp, now sure I was not demanded to join and there are always texts, but it just make organizing this between people a whole lot harder.

Again, you do not have privacy, stop kidding yourself. Hell you are on this forum, unless you have specifically installed extensions to prevent tracking (or declined the TOS), you are already being tracked on your usage of the website.

You are being tracked, so get something in return called, convenience. Who do I give a **** if they track me if I use certain platforms for free. Targeted advertising? Well if its a suggestion on something I am already looking for, be my guest.

Back