Facebook will stop minors from viewing weapon accessory ads

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Facebook has announced it is changing its advertising policy to stop gun accessory ads being shown to those under 18 years of age. The social network already prohibits advertisements for weapons and modifications, though it allows ads for items such as mounted flashlights, scopes, and holsters. But it will soon place restrictions on who can see these.

In addition to disallowing the sale of firearms, Facebook doesn't place ads for parts, ammo, silencers, paintball guns, and bb guns on the platform. Advertisements for other weapons such as pepper sprays, knives, tasers, and batons are also banned. But it does allow certain accessories to be advertised. Starting this Thursday (June 21), however, Facebook is requiring sellers to “restrict their audiences to at least 18 years of age or over.”

Facebook is arguably going through the toughest time in its 14-year history right now, with controversies including Cambridge Analytica, setting private posts to public by default, and the data sharing programs putting it under intense scrutiny. In the wake of mass school shootings in Parkland, Florida, and Santa Fe, Texas, the company doesn't want any more bad publicity and is looking to reduce visibility of weapon-related ads among minors.

Other tech giants have been clamping down on anything related to firearms recently. Back in March, YouTube said it would no longer allow content that "Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales...or links to sites that sell these items." It also suspended several channels, including one belonging to gun manufacturer Spike’s Tactical. Reddit, meanwhile, banned communities trading firearms earlier this year.

A number of companies have changed their gun emoji for water pistols recently. Apple was first to make the switch two years ago, following pressure from campaigners such as New Yorkers Against Gun Violence. But firms say they’re following in Cupertino’s footsteps to avoid any cross-platform confusion.

Permalink to story.

So a responsible teen can not research his next hunting accessory. Simply because Facebook ads were hidden from view. This is pathetic on multiple levels.

Stopping ads will not prevent research. Kids are not this stu-pid. They will research and find what they want without ever looking at an ad.

I'd rather kids see gun accessory ads, than some of the other ads I have seen on Facebook.

None of this is going to stop the violence, or even slow it down. The problem is the poor or non-existent parenting for our children and the lack of care our society and cultural shows for others. Even if you got rid of every single firearm in the US and none existed at all, mass murder and violence would still occur just as frequently, and just as deadly (if not more deadly). There are unfortunately far more effective means of mass murder.

But yet 20+ years ago they would have been promoting gun sales because of they way people were back then plus $$$.

So I guess pellet guns are still allowed. Plastic guns are allowed? How about ceramic ones? They are not on the list. You need to ban slingshots, water balloon launchers, darts, lawn darts, dart guns, blowguns, javelins, baseball bats, knives, blade shavers... Shall I go on?

I am not a 'gun nut'. I grew up with them. They are tools - like a jackhammer or a tractor. Venison burger was a frequent meal. Why? Because it was cheap (just take it to the butcher and he will wrap it up in convenient packs for the freezer). I got my gun training when I was 11. Hunting license at 14 after Hunter Safety course taught by a certified instructor.

When we arrived in suburbia, we no longer hung the gun above the front door - nor did we shoot rifles. Why? Too many people. Using a powerful tool in an unsafe manner is not respectful.

Most states will not issue a Hunting License without a Hunter Safety Certificate. I am puzzled as to why this or an equivalent is not required for gun ownership.

I am not a 'gun nut'. I grew up with them. They are tools - like a jackhammer or a tractor. Venison burger was a frequent meal. Why? Because it was cheap (just take it to the butcher and he will wrap it up in convenient packs for the freezer). I got my gun training when I was 11. Hunting license at 14 after Hunter Safety course taught by a certified instructor.

When we arrived in suburbia, we no longer hung the gun above the front door - nor did we shoot rifles. Why? Too many people. Using a powerful tool in an unsafe manner is not respectful.

Most states will not issue a Hunting License without a Hunter Safety Certificate. I am puzzled as to why this or an equivalent is not required for gun ownership.

Because 2A isn't about hunting.

Guns have been around for centuries. Why now do you think we should be forced to?

"2A isn't about hunting." - true. However, since so many states have decided that a license is required for THAT use (untrained hunters kill lots of things by 'mistake' - you should see the many dead signs and billboards - no backstop - you would not want to be downrange) a bit of honest coaching might go a long way,

"2A isn't about hunting." - true. However, since so many states have decided that a license is required for THAT use (untrained hunters kill lots of things by 'mistake' - you should see the many dead signs and billboards - no backstop - you would not want to be downrange) a bit of honest coaching might go a long way,

They need to reintroduce gun training into schools as required learning. That would solve the problem.

"They need to reintroduce gun training into schools as required learning. " Gun Ed - yup. License the user like Driver's Ed.

So a responsible teen can not research his next hunting accessory. Simply because Facebook ads were hidden from view. This is pathetic on multiple levels.

Stopping ads will not prevent research. Kids are not this stu-pid. They will research and find what they want without ever looking at an ad.

I'd rather kids see gun accessory ads, than some of the other ads I have seen on Facebook.

Why in gods name would you ever shop for anything firearm related on Facebook in the first place? Facebook can do whatever it wants, but I sure as hell do not try to do any type of "research" through Facebook.

Because you aren't allowed to require permits and licenses to exercise a right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdock_v._Pennsylvania

Permits should not be required, but the re-introduction of firearms safety and use to the educational curriculum is something I support. Marksmanship teams are cool as hell, but only a handful of schools in my area even had a shooting team, and they were never advertised. I didn't know my HS had a trap team, for instance.

just like a DUI conviction doesn't stop anyone from driving (sigh) ...

Good show Zuckie! This makes you look like a concerned citizen, in spite of the fact you aren't.

I can't imagine you'll be turning down gun ads, just that you'll be pretending to hide it from certain users.

But then, self promotion is normally nothing more than hypocrisy elevated to an art form, and you're the best. (Next to the guy whose initials are "E. M").

Sure they can. Just don't use fakebook. Problem solved.

Back