Fall House Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudJer

Several weeks ago, Windows Live CareOne walked me through cleaning out files(not the temporary internet ones) on my computer. Unfortunately, I didn't write it down. Being the proud parents of three - PC Vista, laptop XP, and miniXP, I want my babies clean. Can anyone please give me the step by step so I can print it out and make it a monthly maintenance? Additionally, I looked at a previous post back on 2006 which indicated that Norton was a culprit in slowing down Windows OS. What about McAfee? And which security system is best all-inclusive when my McAfee expires in February.

You will find as many opinions as there are users on TechSpot. Not many will be using Windows Live CareOne, as that is more frequently used by those without a tech interest.
As for my shop, we use Avira Antivir, SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes along with Windows Defender and Comodo firewall. My partner uses Avast, SpySweeper, and Spyware Doctor along with Windows Defender and Zone Alarm firewall.
We are both happy, and both of us believe we are well protected. Few infestations found, many infestations blocked.
And our arguments continue.

The safest way to remove files on your pc if you are inexperienced is using the windows' built-in "disk cleanup". Also, AV software is like a shoe (Nike or Reebok). Some people love one and hate another and some do a better job than others but the important thing is that you have something. In my experience, norton tends to do a better job than mcafee but seems to be more resourceful. I don't know of any "best" antivirus software. they all have flaws. personally I use AVG....not the best thing in the world but it also is free

Whereas we find Norton and McAfee good for the easy stuff, but work very poorly in handling the difficult infestations. Certainly we would never categorize either as among the best.
Others we do like are Nod32, Kaspersky, and Sophos.
There are 87 removal tools for infestations in the English speaking world. Most are not effective.
One of the best tools is your own judgment in which sites you visit.

ComputerMaintenance

Here is the maintenance schedule I give my customers to run periodically to kept heir computer free and clean of spyware/virus, update to date and backed up:

1. CCleaner
  2. AVG
  3. Ad-Aware
  4. Spybot Search & Destroy
  5. Windows Updates
  6. Acronis True Image (backup)

I also give them Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntipspyware as alternates.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back