Fan noisy on starting computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Every time i start my computer the fan at first for about 30 seconds really sounds loud this is only when starting after being switched of all night,if i turn of when it has quietened there is no noise on starting,do you think the fan maybe on its way out. :rolleyes:

Sounds like it mate. My processor fan started to make some strange noises after I left the pc on for weeks at a time. I peeled away the sticky label and sprayed a very small amount of WD40 into the tiny hole. I then span the fan blades by hand for a while then left it upside down on a tissue to collect any excess liquid. Whilst this worked for a week or so, I still ended up buying a new fan.

martinlw said:
Every time i start my computer the fan at first for about 30 seconds really sounds loud this is only when starting after being switched of all night,if i turn of when it has quietened there is no noise on starting,do you think the fan maybe on its way out. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Marcus, it does sound like your fan is on it`s way out.

Get a new fan and all should be well.

Regards Howard :cool:

Try White Lithium Grease

Try some white lithium grease to lubricate the fan. WD40 is way too thin.

dgower2 said:
Try some white lithium grease to lubricate the fan. WD40 is way too thin.
Not taking the p*ss mate, but how the hell are you supposed to get grease in a 1.5mm hole? I am fully aware that WD40 is thin compared to grease of any composition (although not had any dealing with lithium grease before) which is why i chose the WD40. Either there is another way of inserting the grease or it must take a very patient person (of which I am not one)!

Um, use someting small to apply it?

Marcus said:
Not taking the p*ss mate, but how the hell are you supposed to get grease in a 1.5mm hole? I am fully aware that WD40 is thin compared to grease of any composition (although not had any dealing with lithium grease before) which is why i chose the WD40. Either there is another way of inserting the grease or it must take a very patient person (of which I am not one)!

Be creative man! I have white lithium grease in a spray can, so what I would do it remove the little sticker on the fan, spray a small amount of grease on the tip of a small, flexible piece of plastic, and push the grease in like you would use a spatula or putty knife.

I do agree with whomever said to just purchase a new fan. They're not that expensive. I would try to lube it once, and after that I'd buy a new one.

Replace the sticker to prevent dust?

IronDuke said:
Any lubricant will combine with dust to make a grinding paste. For the cost dump the fan.

You replace the little sticker, or make a new one, so the hole is not exposed to dust.

dgower2 said:
Be creative man! I have white lithium grease in a spray can, so what I would do it remove the little sticker on the fan, spray a small amount of grease on the tip of a small, flexible piece of plastic, and push the grease in like you would use a spatula or putty knife.

I do agree with whomever said to just purchase a new fan. They're not that expensive. I would try to lube it once, and after that I'd buy a new one.
Ah, I was correct then. You're obviously a very patient man! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back