'Far Cry 4' plot twist leads to brilliant alternate ending (spoiler alert)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

cry gaming far cry 4 alternate ending

Ubisoft has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism this past week over performance issues related to Assassin’s Creed Unity. As the company works to alleviate launch issues on various platforms, many are already turning their attention to another highly-anticipated game from the same studio.

Far Cry 4 is set to launch on all major consoles and the PC tomorrow (November 18) but it’s a clever bit of storytelling that’s occupying headlines ahead of its arrival.

Spoiler Alert!

In what can be described as one of the better Easter eggs (if you want to call it that) in recent memory, those that have early access to the game discovered that it can be completed in less than 15 minutes. Wait, what?

That’s right. Borrowing a page from classic puzzle game Myst’s book (no pun intended), the game can be finished in no time flat if you just know what to do (or in this case, what not to do).

At the beginning of the game, protagonist Ajay Ghale returns to his fictional homeland of Kyrat to spread his mother’s ashes as per her request. Upon arrival, Ghale meets with the game’s villain – Pagan Min – who invites him in to eat.

After a cut scene that sees Min leave the room to handle a phone call, gamers are put in control of Ghale to begin the game. But before Min walks out, he asks Ghale to stay put while he takes the call.

Obviously, this is your cue to escape and start the game but if you actually take Min’s advice, he eventually does return several minutes later and helps Ghale complete his primary objective. Apparently Min isn’t such a bad guy after all!

Permalink to story.

Funny story, when benchmarking the game for the first time I walked away from the PC to do something else after starting the campaign (the initial scene is very long).

Once I came back I was in that little room, figured this is how the game started and put mothers ashes down :)

After that walked outside and saw what was shown in the video and then the game would take me back to the main menu. I thought the game was crashing or something and after a few passes couldn’t work it out until I started over again. Anyway I have now found a suitable scene to test the game with and benchmarking is well under way.

It will be a long time before I trust anything from Ubi again. I wait this one out for a while before I decide whether or not to pull the pin on it. A pity, I like the Far Cry franchise.

Back