Farewell GTX 16 series: Nvidia to end all production of its budget line

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Pour one out for the GTX 16 Series. According to new reports, Nvidia has decided to officially discontinue its entire line of GTX 16xx graphics cards that were first announced in 2019 and remain popular among Steam users.

It's been over a year since Nvidia launched the last of its GTX 16xx graphics cards, the GTX 1630, a product we awarded a score of 20 and called an insult to gamers, which could explain its very short life.

According to the Chinese Board Channel Forums, Nvidia is expected to stop production of all GTX 16-series cards starting in the first quarter of next year – in a few weeks, essentially – with the final orders being completed this month.

Nvidia has already officially, or in some cases reportedly, discontinued most of the GTX 16xx cards, meaning the upcoming series discontinuation will only impact the GTX 1650 and GTX 1630; the latter is a cut-down version of the former.

The GTX 16 series is based on the same Turing architecture that launched a year earlier in the RTX 20 Series, which was more expensive and came with the likes of hardware-accelerated ray tracing and DLSS as standard.

While it might not have been as technologically advanced, the budget GTX 16 series has proved to be very popular with gamers: it was only in September when the RTX 3060 knocked the GTX 1650 off its long-held top spot on the Steam Hardware and Survey GPU chart. The older card remains in second place and even saw its user share increase 1.13% last month.

Expect to continue to see the GTX 16-series cards available to buy until AIB and retailer inventories sell out – there are still plenty available from Amazon and Newegg. Don't be surprised to see their prices fall significantly over the coming months, too, and more GTX 16xx cards appearing on eBay as owners trade them in for newer models.

As we noted in our Best GPUs feature, there really aren't many options left for anyone looking to buy a good sub-$200 GPU these days. Our recommendation is the AMD Radeon RX 6600 or Radeon 6650 XT. The former's cheapest non-refurbished models on Newegg are $199, and they're either discounted or are from lesser-known brands.

Permalink to story.

The 16xx series did quite well at the time.

Even now, my 1660 Super sill runs almost any game at quite respectable speeds / settings. Of course, the still mighty i7-4790 CPU helps a lot as well.

Fair well to the GTX 16xx series, the spiritual successors to the 1050 and 1060 line up! You weren't the goat by any means, but you provided what so many of us needed at the time, a playable graphics experience at a tempting price.

Kid's 1660 Super is still delivering the frames, now with a R5 5500 pushing the back end. It turns 4 next month but it's older bro 1060 6G just went kaput a couple weeks ago after 6.5 years. Great cards for the price.

The 16xx series did quite well at the time.

Even now, my 1660 Super sill runs almost any game at quite respectable speeds / settings. Of course, the still mighty i7-4790 CPU helps a lot as well.
Calling the 4790 "mighty" is quite a stretch. My 6W fanless N100 is almost as fast lol. It's decent for browsing and some YouTube, but that's about it.

Calling the 4790 "mighty" is quite a stretch. My 6W fanless N100 is almost as fast lol. It's decent for browsing and some YouTube, but that's about it.
not true; even my 2008 i7 920 can deliver a solid performance at 1440p and still scaled with my 7900XT and 3080Ti; the performance is even better on my 4770K; which itself is inferior to his 4790.

Back