Nvidia RTX 20 and GTX 16 series GPU owners gain Resizable BAR support

Daniel Sims

Staff
Recap: Resizable Bar has become a popular method of drawing out modest but noticeable performance gains over the last few years. However, its official support is limited to more recent hardware. Last month, a mod brought the feature to older PCs, and a new fork has now extended ReBar support to Nvidia Turing series graphics cards.

Users of still popular Nvidia Turing GPUs now have an indirect way to boost performance through Resizable BAR. The installation process is somewhat complex but could extend the hardware's lifespan for users unable to upgrade to more modern GPUs. Ampere and RDNA 2 were the first architectures to officially support the feature.

We tested ReBar for the first time on Nvidia RTX 30 series GPUs in 2021. Resizable BAR became part of the GPU performance conversation with the release of AMD's Radeon RX 6000 series, when the company touted Smart Access Memory or SAM, but in reality AMD had just rebranded the PCI Express feature better known as "Resizable BAR" that had gone unused for quite some time before becoming a somewhat usual feature to enable on newer graphics hardware.

The new tool, called NvStrapsReBar, builds on the recently released ReBarUEFI DXE driver, which allowed older CPUs and motherboards to utilize Resizable BAR. NvStrapsReBar expands this support to include GeForce GTX 1600 and RTX 2000 graphics cards. Despite these GPUs turning five years old soon and Nvidia ceasing production of the GTX series, the GTX 1650 and RTX 2060 continue to rank highly on the Steam Hardware Survey, so the mod has the potential to help a lot of gamers.

Installing NvStrapsReBar requires flashing a new UEFI image on the motherboard. For motherboards that don't officially support Resizable BAR, activate the "Above 4G Decoding" setting and disengage CSM. Changing hardware components like the GPU requires disabling ReBAR. The download page contains full instructions and the GitHub page hosts a list of successfully tested system configurations.

AMD popularized Resizable BAR with the Ryzen 5000 processors and Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards. The technology allows a CPU to access all of the video memory, whereas before it could only access 256 MB of mapped VRAM. In our benchmark from a few years ago, the feature improved performance by over 10 percent in some games like The Division 2, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Hitman 2, but was marginally detrimental to others like Microsoft Flight Simulator and Rainbow Six Siege.

Although AMD initially pushed Resizable BAR as a selling point for its then-new hardware, Intel and Nvidia soon adopted it, and any chips compatible with PCIe 2.0 or later can theoretically support the functionality. Last month, ReBarUEFI proved this by allowing CPUs going back to 2011's Sandy Bridge to engage ReBAR. It was also successfully tested on AMD's 2017 Radeon RX 580 GPU, but unfortunately its Nvidia contemporary – the GTX 1000 series – still doesn't work, even with NvStrapsReBar.

Permalink to story.

"for users unable to upgrade to Ampere or RDNA 2 cards"

Very few ppl, if any, can't buy an Ampere card right now.

Today I received my used 3070 from Amazon Warehouse Germany. The card was made in Apr 2022 and still has about 2 years of warranty left.

All that for just 350 euros.

So only ppl who already use a series 2 GPU should benefit from these as used Ampere prices have slipped so low that it does not make sense to buy a Turing GPU anymore.

Re-BAR is great for a few games, most games don't benefit at all from it. More and more games are tho.

Re-BAR would be close to useless for Pascal owners really. Nvidia did not benefit at all from Re-BAR before 3000 and especially 4000 series.

I don't see why GTX 1000 users would even bother. I would not even bother if I used RTX 2000 series or GTX 16... I would upgrade.

So only ppl who already use a series 2 GPU should benefit from these as used Ampere prices have slipped so low that it does not make sense to buy a Turing GPU anymore.
Except for 2080 Ti that has more VRAM compared to 3070 you mentioned. Also this is why it's actually more expensive than 3070 in used sales market. Personally I would not pay more than 200€ for a GPU with 8GB VRAM in 2024. Even 200 is the upper limit. There have even been cases of modded 2080 Ti's being sold with 22GB VRAM for 500.
I would not even bother if I used RTX 2000 series or GTX 16... I would upgrade.
Nvidia's tactics are working great as your example proves. Refuse to support new features in older cards (even tho they are capable) to force people to upgrade. They did this with ReBAR on 20 series and again with DLSS3 FG on 30 series. Can't wait to see what Nvidia comes up for 50 series that 40 series owners wont have access to.

Except for 2080 Ti that has more VRAM compared to 3070 you mentioned. Also this is why it's actually more expensive than 3070 in used sales market. Personally I would not pay more than 200€ for a GPU with 8GB VRAM in 2024. Even 200 is the upper limit. There have even been cases of modded 2080 Ti's being sold with 22GB VRAM for 500.

Nvidia's tactics are working great as your example proves. Refuse to support new features in older cards (even tho they are capable) to force people to upgrade. They did this with ReBAR on 20 series and again with DLSS3 FG on 30 series. Can't wait to see what Nvidia comes up for 50 series that 40 series owners wont have access to.

Probably yet another new DLSS feature, but I'm hoping it's just DisplayPort 2.0 and PCIe 5.0

3070 beats 2080 Ti in most new games at 1080p-1440p regardless of having less VRAM. 4K/UHD is not happening on any of these cards without DLSS but they are pretty even in native 4K as well.

3070 beats 2080 Ti in many new games at 4K.

This also shows 3070 dominating the 6700XT which launched at 479 dollars, 6 months after 3070 which was 499 dollars.

3070 is an easy sell at 250-300 dollars on the used market. Keep dreaming.

2080 Ti is not worth more than 3070. Go check ebay instead of rambling.

You sound like one of those people that still don't understand how RAM allocation work.

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

3070 is 2% faster than 2080 Ti at 1440p across ~20 games while using much less power to do it.

Reality calls.

Last edited:

2000 and 3000 series is not capaple of doing DLSS 3 Frame Gen. This has been tested using modded and bugged drivers and games. 2000 and 3000 series were stuttering when Frame Gen was enabled. Chip were not capable. OFA too slow.

Back