Fastest processor for GA-71XE4 (750 chipset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

AMD 750 AGPSet Chipset - What the fastest proccessor I can get?

I have a GigaByte GA=-71XE4 motherboard, and an AMD 750 AGPSet chipset. The AMD website wasn;t oo helpful, so I'm asking here.

What is the fastest, off the shelf AMD proccesor that can go i this board. It is Socket A, and currently contains a Duron 850. I'm not taling overclocking, as I don't want to do that, just in case

thanks. Anyone have any idea of the fastes RAM and how to flash the BIOS, then.

I usually knwo must stuff about my PC, but the Moitherboard and Networks, i don't know. E.g., I cna analyse which graphics card to ge, but I get the cheapest MoBo in the shop, and hope it works!!!

The AMD 750 chipset wasn't capable of running asynchronous BUSses, so the RAM will run at the same speed as your CPUs FSB which in this case will be 100mhz ( 200 DDR ). PC100 won't be that easy to find, you might as well go with PC133 even if it won't run at 133.

I have 384 Mb of pc 133 in ti at the moment anyway, so that should be enough. I might shove in another 256 in the last slot

Well, I have manged to successfuly flash the bios with f9, the latest one, and my local Pc shop hs a 1.4 athalon with 200 FSB in stock, so i'm getting that

Nice going MYOB. Make sure you have a very good CPU Cooler ( that TBird is gonna get hot :dead: ) & enjoy the extra performance.

My current Cooler Master DP5-6I11A is rated as up to 1.4, but I'm getting a better fan, just in case. Don't want t fry the chip. I'm upgrading the whole system. Replacing the 128Mb Chip with a 512, getting a GeForce 4 MX420, and getting the 1.4 chip. Its going to be a big upgrade from 850Mhz, 384Mb and a PCI Riva TNT!!!

Originally posted by MYOB
Replacing the 128Mb Chip with a 512

The SPECS page says the MB supports up to 256mb RAM modules. I don't know if the BIOS flash allows to have bigger modules. You might wanna look at that.

I've got a copy of Sysmark somewhere. I'll run it now, and after the upgrade, just to see

I've got that horrid GA-7IXE4 board in a machine thats been designated as a firewall machine. What Video card are you running as I found the boards AGP slot couldnt support a GF3 so I upgraded to a DDR Asus board. Do a search on the old forums (in my signature) for GA-7IXE4 to see the problems I had trying to get it to work with my GF3. Got a mail from Gigabyte technical support saying that the most that this board could support would be a GF2....
Just thought I would mention this since you may consider doing a video card upgrade at some point in the future ;)

I'll contact Gigabyte then, to see if I can extract an upgrade (i'm very good at that!!)

The original place I was gong ot get the T-bird chip from has sold out, and cannot reorder. Well, the search goes on. I may replace the MoBo first then

thanks for the warning. Thankfully, my not so local techie store that sells EVERYTHING will let you take home a product to try it. I see you said it caused occasional lock-ups. I thought you meant it wouldn't turn on!

BTW, was the game, perchance, StartUp2000 from MonteCristo Multimedia? that game does exactly that on any system, card, etc. I ave tried.n NVidia TNT, Matrox Millenium II, S3 Virge, ATi Integrated chips, Nforce, etc. Its the game, nit the card.

My PSU is plenty powerful enough (its a Pentium 4 case!), and i'm mainly going to be playing games that need the GeForce 4 for the T+L chip.

Oh,. Im using an STB Systems Riva TNT PCI, with 16Mb ram, as I see you asked. I use this MoBo, as it was the cheapest socket A, and I was on a very tight budget at the time. my system is a hybrid of a 1994 system, two 1997 systems, a 1999 system , anmd many 2001 parts. I'm replacing nearly everything, but the moBo might be the first on the list.

now where did i put that Watford catalogue...

Originally posted by MYOB
thanks for the warning. Thankfully, my not so local techie store that sells EVERYTHING will let you take home a product to try it. I see you said it caused occasional lock-ups. I thought you meant it wouldn't turn on!

BTW, was the game, perchance, StartUp2000 from MonteCristo Multimedia? that game does exactly that on any system, card, etc. I ave tried.n NVidia TNT, Matrox Millenium II, S3 Virge, ATi Integrated chips, Nforce, etc. Its the game, nit the card.

My PSU is plenty powerful enough (its a Pentium 4 case!), and i'm mainly going to be playing games that need the GeForce 4 for the T+L chip.

The lockups were both on Direct3d and OpenGL titles (counter-strike, Project Eden etc). Still the GeforceFAQ (in signature) does help you with loads of settings and options to investigate to be sure that its a hardware incompatibility/broken card before having to return it :)

considering ALL the places that could have sold me my 1.4 up until recently don;t ave it anymore, shoud I get a 1.3 GhzDuron instead? its compatible with the board, and has a 200Mhz FSB

The Duron 1.3 will definitly be an improvement over the 850 you have now. The few stores over here that still sell Athlon with a 100FSB, actually sell it for more then an AthonXP.

Or you could do as Veh says & look for it in the net or maybe even on Ebay.

Originally posted by Didou
Or you could do as Veh says & look for it in the net or maybe even on Ebay.

Ebay...:haha:

For some reason I don't trust them. However I find it hard to validate my opinion :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back