FCC proposal to bring faster Internet to classrooms would boost government spending by $1.5 billion

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fcc broadband education schools

Technology is no doubt changing the way kids learn in the classroom but the harsh reality is that many schools simply don’t have the funding necessary to deliver adequate Internet speeds to classrooms. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler is looking to remedy the situation with a proposed 62 percent increase in spending to help get fiber-optic lines to every school and Wi-Fi in every classroom.

The news was first reported by The New York Times ahead of Wheeler’s announcement on Monday.

fcc internet broadband wi-fi education fiber schools tom wheeler e-rate program classrooms

In a conference call on the matter with reporters, Wheeler said the fact that the preponderance of those without connectivity are low-income rural and urban schools is particularly unacceptable so they’re now doing something about it.

Specifically, Wheeler wants to raise the cap on spending for the FCC’s E-rate program by $1.5 billion which would bring total annual spending to $3.9 billion. The move would cost consumers an additional $2 per year which would be added to every phone bill in the US.

The FCC said that while the impact on consumers will be small, the impact on children, teachers, local communities and American competitiveness will be great.

The proposal is scheduled to be voted on during the commission’s December 11 meeting and like most political matters, is expected to face stiff opposition from opposing party members.

Permalink to story.

Yet they refuse to solve the larger issue that is prevent the roll out of fiber now... net neutrality. If a service provider can't make money, they aren't going to provide a service.

would boost government spending by $1.5 billion

The move would cost consumers an additional $2 per year which would be added to every phone bill in the US.

But it's paid for, so it isn't really increasing spending. I honestly think the telecom companies should be paying for this, not the consumer. Comcast alone made $8.5 billion in profits last year, what the hell are they doing with all of it?

would boost government spending by $1.5 billion

But it's paid for, so it isn't really increasing spending. I honestly think the telecom companies should be paying for this, not the consumer. Comcast alone made $8.5 billion in profits last year, what the hell are they doing with all of it?

By your logic we should just increase spending infinitely as long as it's paid for. If you paid taxes, maybe you would understand that it does matter. Every time you want $2 taken from me, that's $2 less I can spend and keep the economy working. Maybe you have heard of stock? Those papers people pay lots of money for? Yeah, those shareholder people actually want a return on their investment and expect dividends.

By your logic we should just increase spending infinitely as long as it's paid for. If you paid taxes, maybe you would understand that it does matter. Every time you want $2 taken from me, that's $2 less I can spend and keep the economy working. Maybe you have heard of stock? Those papers people pay lots of money for? Yeah, those shareholder people actually want a return on their investment and expect dividends.
shareholders aren't people. The people who actually make money from dividends are so few and far between it is ridiculous. You're telling me I should be worried about millionaires when a significant portion of our children do not have adequate access to the internet?

By my logic, the people who have the most should be paying for the people who have the least. We aren't talking about giving food stamps to drug addicts here, we are talking about the foundation of the American education system. This quite literally has an impact on everyone in america in a positive way. Even if the people with less have to foot the bill for this, this has to be one of the only responsible ways I have seen the government spend money.

"The people who actually make money from dividends are so few and far between it is ridiculous"

Actually, every public and private pension fund, large numbers of 401K, and not a small number of municipalities. In other words, what a neophyte thinks affects few people, actually affects tens on millions.

It is not needed in school. Maybe the computer science department, but they could get by with out it. It sounds to me this FCC chairman is representing fiber network companies,. This guys is the scum of the earth.

shareholders aren't people. The people who actually make money from dividends are so few and far between it is ridiculous. You're telling me I should be worried about millionaires when a significant portion of our children do not have adequate access to the internet?

So if I fire up Tradestation right now and buy a share of Twitter, thus becoming a shareholder, I suddenly cease to be a person? How does that work, exactly?

There is also not a single person in this country that does not have access to the Internet. Why, right now, I could call up the cable company, cancel the service and still have Internet access – simply by walking into a public library.

By my logic, the people who have the most should be paying for the people who have the least. We aren't talking about giving food stamps to drug addicts here, we are talking about the foundation of the American education system. This quite literally has an impact on everyone in america in a positive way. Even if the people with less have to foot the bill for this, this has to be one of the only responsible ways I have seen the government spend money.

The first condition (tax structure) is already true, Logician-sama. The second condition (the impact on America) is false.

In other words, your logic is demonsrably false.

It is not needed in school. Maybe the computer science department, but they could get by with out it. It sounds to me this FCC chairman is representing fiber network companies,. This guys is the scum of the earth.

Lots of schools have speeds that you would get at home (25/2) so when students or teachers are streaming movies, music, programs, etc it drains very quickly. Imagine a business of 500-1000 people trying to use a 25/2 connection.

In my day the blackboard and chalk reigned supreme, bested only by the cane. It just worked and worked very well although I don't remember Mr Weatherbee ever caning Archie, Jughead & Reggie they just got detention.

In my day the blackboard and chalk reigned supreme, bested only by the cane. It just worked and worked very well although I don't remember Mr Weatherbee ever caning Archie, Jughead & Reggie they just got detention.
As I see it, that method has to change. I think it is demonstrable that beating knowledge into people, children especially, simply does not work.

As I see it, this is about giving more school children the chance to explore and find out what they like and what resonates with them. There is something to be said for children having the chance to find out what interests them; as I see it, it leads those same children to become proficient in the studies that they find to their liking. The internet has the potential to provide inspiration to a lot of young minds, but not all young minds have access to it.

And I agree with yRaz, the ISPs should pay for this - it would be a gigantic tax write-off for them.

As I see it, that method has to change. I think it is demonstrable that beating knowledge into people, children especially, simply does not work.

As I see it, this is about giving more school children the chance to explore and find out what they like and what resonates with them. There is something to be said for children having the chance to find out what interests them; as I see it, it leads those same children to become proficient in the studies that they find to their liking. The internet has the potential to provide inspiration to a lot of young minds, but not all young minds have access to it.

And I agree with yRaz, the ISPs should pay for this - it would be a gigantic tax write-off for them.
Yup but they didn't see things that way back in the day.

In the middle & high schools that my two kids are in, I fail to see how faster internet would help with their "education". So many of their teachers already refuse to "teach" and just dump a bunch of material on a website or email them a packet and tell the kids it's their responsibility to learn it and figure it out. I know technology is important, but way too many teachers are using it to distance themselves from their students and the level of education these past several years is simply not improving and I would submit it is actually degrading.

When I was reading the headline I hoped it said "FCC proposal to bring faster Internet to all Americans". I should of known better...Our Company Owned Government would never do that. They think the private profit companies will do it themselves with competition...LMAO..At the pace were going now...Maybe in 50 years...if were lucky. Actually we might be back on dial-up if they have their way.

No it doesn't but it will get their attention and demonstrate your sincerity.
In my day it was the norm, it's not like that anymore and hasn't been so for years but it was the way we grew up at school. Personally I'd rather take the pain than spend hours in a classroom after school, I had better things to do.

I always wondered how much my university pays for the internet.
Subtract last years tuition from this year's. That should give you a general idea.. Either that or multiply the "technology fee", (per student), by the number of students. Then, divide that product by 1/2 to compensate for the percentage of markup, which should lgive you an approximate answer.

Remember though, persevere. It will all surely pay off when you're in the unemployment line, boasting about your liberal arts degree to the high school dropouts!(y)

Last edited:
Back