FedEx will offer you $5 to install / enable Flash

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HTML5 has already replaced Adobe Flash at most major online destinations including Facebook and YouTube; even Chrome now loads HTML5 over Flash by default.

Not everyone, however, is hip with the times.

FedEx still utilizes Flash for its Office Print service which lets customers design things like signs, manuals, banners, posters and more. Rather than redesign the service for HTML5 and promote the idea of a more secure web, FedEx is instead bribing customers to install / enable Flash to use the service.

FedEx is offering visitors that don’t have Flash installed / enabled $5 off orders over $30 to use Flash. To score the discount, simply use the coupon code “FLA726” during checkout.

I’m all for discounts and saving money but this is rather embarrassing, especially coming from one of the world’s top shipping couriers. Then again, re-enabling Flash for a couple of minutes to use the FedEx service likely isn’t going to harm your computer but just remember to disable / uninstall it when you’re done.

Permalink to story.

fed.jpg

Fed-Ex - the right tool for everything...

cast-away-wreckage-1.jpg

P.S. Ignorance is bliss

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the Ringo Star movie "the Magic Christian"?
In it, a millionaire floats lots of high-denomination paper currency on the surface of an 8-foot deep circular tank filled with liquid manure (presumably human). You had to wade into the tank (and become completely covered in crap!) In order to retrieve the money.
As I recall, there were plenty of takers!

OTOH, I never understood the paranoia against Flash. How true are the so called security breaches in this? I just hear people running away from it like a flashpoint but are there details of these security malfunctions?

A ton of non-tech places still use Flash.

I was having a continuing education course with the NYS bar association and wondering why the video wasn't popping up. Well, it's because Chrome by default doesn't play their flash videos!

The same is true of many of the seedier parts of the web like streaming sites.

Last edited:
OTOH, I never understood the paranoia against Flash. How true are the so called security breaches in this? I just hear people running away from it like a flashpoint but are there details of these security malfunctions?
LOL... what rock are you living under?

Flash exploits often have given admin access via just *seeing* malware flash. And if you think "what do I view that is a risk?" well the answer is many ad providers are NOT trustworthy and many websites don't strongly vet their ads.

Here's a good example:
https://arstechnica.com/security/20...of-malicious-ads-spreading-crypto-ransomware/

Flash is cancer and must die. It is unique in that it is provided by a single vendor, is almost ubiquitous and that vendor has a track record of functionality over security. They are the *perfect* web attack vector. Best bang for buck.

Name any other product on the market that comes close? Maybe Chrome nowadays...

LOL... what rock are you living under?

Flash exploits often have given admin access via just *seeing* malware flash. And if you think "what do I view that is a risk?" well the answer is many ad providers are NOT trustworthy and many websites don't strongly vet their ads.

Here's a good example:
https://arstechnica.com/security/20...of-malicious-ads-spreading-crypto-ransomware/

Flash is cancer and must die. It is unique in that it is provided by a single vendor, is almost ubiquitous and that vendor has a track record of functionality over security. They are the *perfect* web attack vector. Best bang for buck.

You're right about this. It's a terrible standard. The problem is that a lot of places still use it. As long as browsers like Chrome start blocking it by default then the more reputable places will get on the bandwagon and eventually ditch it. Even the seedier places will see their traffic go down and replace it.

The solution isn't preventing it from ever being used. The solution is to make it really hard to use so that the people using it will complain. Places like the NYSBA are not tech savvy but if they have a huge number of their members complaining about service you can guarantee they will hire a firm to replace Flash very quickly. I suspect the same of most other non-tech organizations.

I went to ups today (saturday) to return my brother's att uverse gateway/modem and it wasn't open. Banks are open on saturday.

Surely it would be cheaper to replace the app using the offending technology then offer $5 discount?

Like hackers can view your webcam without permission. This is an example of bad security which was patched out though I just want you to feel how terrible is this plugin. This is the plugin every hacker want you to install in your PC. Security should be the number 1 priority in everything you do unless you dont really care then stop spreading how good flash is.

Back