Fiber Optic modems - potential probs down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Anyone had problem / experience w/ fiber optic DSL modems & regular routers, VOIP ATAs, or other issues?
What are potential probs of switching to a fiber optic modem?

I'm dropping voice serv to go w/ VOIP and get dry loop DSL. AT&T wants to switch me to "fiber optic DSL" (DSL only) on their U-Verse plan, to keep $ same for DSL. Otherwise, will raise it $10 for dry loop (even though previously told me since I have ATT cell, billed under son's name, price would stay same. Now it's different story). They say will provide 2Wire FO modem for free and "send tech out to hook it up for free."

Is a fiber optic modem that difficult that they need to send tech to hook it up?? Connecting / config'g a modem is normally straight forward.

Thanks.

Have never heard of 'dry loop' but.

Fiber will run from the street to your modem and end there -- the job of the modem
is to convert to ethernet signals. If the modem provided has an internal router then the
configuration may be different but not difficult. MAKE SURE you get the admin userid+password for it when it is installed.

Given the opportunity, I would opt for a fiber connection :)

Jobeard is right. The fiber modem will speak standard Ethernet on the end that connects to your network. You and your devices (PC.s, routers, etc.) will not know the difference, except perhaps, for improved performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back