File opening help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobwill

Hi,

not sure if I am posting in the right forum but here goes......

My computer is taking a long time to open media files - all types. I generally use media player classic or, occasionally WMP 11 (I like the library). Recently both apps have been taking a long time (over 1 minute) to access files.

All my media files or stored on an NTFS partition on my HD. This partition is a general storage partition and has 4 folders that are shared over my home network in it - including the music and video folders.

I read somewhere (can't now find the link) that mapping network drives improves retrival times - but I don't know enough to know if this is correct, or even if it relates to my problem.

I would like to know what is slowing the access time to the media files on my HD, and what I can do about it?

many thanks in advance

Will.

How are you handling Virus and other malware protection? Do you regularly use registry cleaners like CCleaner and Glary Utilities?

also if the size of the folders get too big it will slow down the time it takes to retrieve the files.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response!

I use zone alarm, avg 8.0, spybot SD and Ad aware. I also use PC Tools Registry Mechanic.

The music folder is 16.6Gb and contains 4239 files and 297 folders.

The video folder is 55.1Gb and contains 65 files and 11 folders.

Will

what view style are you using?

Icon view will take forever with folders with large number of files.

Use a List and it will open much faster.

This thread makes a point on folder / sub-folder organization.
One folder with all your files is always a bad idea.
Organizing by types (eg music, pictures, games) is a help but heavy hitters will
find it beneficial to further subdivide into folders by genre and/or artist.

Thanks Jobeard,

In WMP 11 I use the 'expanded tile' view, Media Player Classic doesn't have a libray feature that I know about, so I use 'MPEG Audio Collection' as a way of cataloguing my audio files. It allows me to open files in Media Player Classic from within itself.

The problem I have is that when I use MPEG Audio Collection or use Media Player Classics 'quick open file' option it takes over a minute for Media Player Classic to open the file. I don't know what is causing the delay.

Your thought about my file organisation is spot on though - it really could use a little tidying up!

Will.

try this experiment ...

find a file, right click and slide down to Open With ...

how many programs are listed and in what order?

Hi Jobeard,

sorry for the delayed reply:)

Open with.............

Media Player Classic (this is set as default for most file types)
Windows Media Player

Although, played an album today in Media Player Classic via MPEG audio collection, it opened in about 20 seconds - much better than usual.

I'd still like to know what is / was going on though!

Will

Hi,

I am bumping this because I am still having this problem. I thought that it may have resolved itself.

Since I opened this thread I have patched XP to SP3. The problem persists though.

Any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated.

Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back