File sharing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldikes

Here is the deal:
I have a laptop with windows XP (an HPDV2000) upstairs. it has some rather large files on it that i cant fit on a flash drive.
Downstairs i have a desktop with windows vista home premium. this has a netgear router plugged in via ethernet (and of course to the wall for power, LOL). i have connected, wirelessly, the laptop to this router.

I need to to transfer the files from the laptop to the desktop. how would i go about doing this?

I have no actuall internet connection on this router, just currently using the router for home networking.

thanks in advance!

this is Print/File Sharing and the twist is the Vista Machine.

You need a consistent Workgroup Name for all systems,
Enable Simple File Sharing
add P/Fs to the firewall settings (the exception tab)

first test is that systemA can Ping systemB and conversely; w/o that nothing works.
from there it's the config of P/Fs

First, Some folder on the other machine must be shared.. put files that are intended for sharing there.

A great place to consider is \Documents & Settings\All Users\Shared Documents
or the vista version \users\all users\Shared documents

from machine a, accessing machine B files, there are two solutions
  1. Tools->Map Network Drive
  2. or use Run->\\machineBname\SharedName

Bring down the wireless laptop to the router and connect via Ethernet cable to it. Make sure you log on with the same name and permission (password) on both systems. Share the folders you want to share. Reboot both systems. On the Vista side try to connect to the share folders on the XP box. If you can connect, then open the folder on the Vista side where you want to start transfer. Make sure the laptop is running on AC and not DC power.

jobeard, i couldn't seem to get your methods to work. it couldn't detect the wirelessly connected laptop anywhere it seemed. tipstir for battery reasons i have to leave the laptop plugged in upstairs.

first issues first; all system must connect to the router and need to be able to ping each other. all bets are off until this is possible

On your XP machine:

1. Right click on the folder that your files are on that you want to share
2. Select "Sharing and Security"
3. In the "Sharing" tab, look under the "Network sharing and security" section
4. Check the first and second box
5. Underneath the first box you'll see "Shared name". The name of the folder should already be filled in. If not, do so now. Remember this folder name
6. Select "Apply" then "Ok"

On your Vista Machine:

1. Right click My Computer and select "Map Network Drive"
2. Select a drive letter
3. Type in the following:
\\name of you computer\name of the folder you're sharing (the one from step 5 above)

for example:
My XP computer name is "Enterprise" and the folder i'm sharing is "Movies"
To map this drive (or folder) on the other computer, I would put:

\\Enterprise\Movies

I say use your computer name instead of your IP address because I know a lot of people who never use the same IP address.

Now if you want to transfer your files from one machine to another, here are two methods with different results:

~Copy from the XP machine and Paste to the Vista if you want the files on both computers

~Right click the folder and drag it to your Vista computer and select "Move" when you release the mouse button if you want to transfer the files completely (meaning they will not longer be on your XP machine)

Let me know how that went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back