First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking)

Thorah

Hi All,

I'm planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it's going to die soon...

I'm going to use the computer mainly for doing 2D digital artworks, editing videos as well as playing games, specifically MMORPGs and some like Alice Madness & Skyrim.
I'll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc.
I just want something that would accommodate my main use and last me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again.

I also have a budget that I have to stick to. I live in the Philippines so it will be Php 50,000 - Php 55,000 , in USD I think it would be around $ 1000 - $ 1200.

As stated above, I won't be doing any overclocking whatsoever.

Here are the specifications of the build I was planning.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER
VideoCard: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked
Memory: Vengeance® Low Profile — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9
Storage: Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Power Supply: Seasonic X650 650W 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Hybrid
Optical Drive: ASUS24D3ST BLACK 24X SATA
Case: Obsidian Series® 450D Mid-Tower PC Case
Case Fan: Scythe Kaze Jyuni PWM 120mm, 1300rpm, 74CFM (x3

Since this is a first, opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm open for suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed. It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I'm planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it's going to die soon...

I'm going to use the computer mainly for doing 2D digital artworks, editing videos as well as playing games, specifically MMORPGs and some like Alice Madness & Skyrim.
I'll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc.
I just want something that would accommodate my main use and last me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again.

I also have a budget that I have to stick to. I live in the Philippines so it will be Php 50,000 - Php 55,000 , in USD I think it would be around $ 1000 - $ 1200.

Memory: Vengeance® Low Profile — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Since this is a first, opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm open for suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed. It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality.

Thanks in advance!
What programs do you specifically use for video editing and such?

Also a couple of notes:
1: That PSU is a bit overkill for that build or most builds. I would suggest a Gold Rated 550Watt as being a cheaper better option for you.
2: Save a couple of bucks and grab a Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD or a Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD. WD Black HDD's are awesome but generally they are a bit more for not much of a difference overall.

Can you link the site from which you are ordering your parts from?

Last edited:
What programs do you specifically use for video editing and such?

Also a couple of notes:
1: That PSU is a bit overkill for that build or most builds. I would suggest a Gold Rated 550Watt as being a cheaper better option for you.
2: Save a couple of bucks and grab a Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD or a Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD. WD Black HDD's are awesome but generally they are a bit more for not much of a difference overall.

Can you link the site from which you are ordering your parts from?

I use Sony Vegas Pro 10, HandBrake and CamStudio for video related tasks.
Photoshop CS6 Extended and Manga Studio EX 5 for the 2D Illustration.

About the PSU. I was suggested to replace it with Seasonic (S12II) 620watts PSU 80+ Bronze.

So the difference between the Blue and Black WDs when it comes to reliability and performance are not that much different? If that is so, then I guess I'll opt to get the Blue one instead.

I'll be getting the parts from here:
http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub
http://www.benstore.com.ph/

About the PSU. I was suggested to replace it with Seasonic (S12II) 620watts PSU 80+ Bronze.

So the difference between the Blue and Black WDs when it comes to reliability and performance are not that much different? If that is so, then I guess I'll opt to get the Blue one instead.

Sorry... I forgot to login. This is me.

Sorry... I forgot to login. This is me.
Well based on those programs then I can make a few suggestions based on that, I just wanted to know if you were using anything that had significant GPU acceleration or what they needed/benefitted from.

So here is my suggestion based off your budget and the site you linked:

i7 4790K
MSI Z97S SLI Krait
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb
Thermaltake 630Watt Gold PSU
Kingston 120gb SSD
Seagate 1tb 7200RPM Drive
Sapphire R9 270X
Bitfenix Ronin Mid Tower Case
Thermaltake CPU Cooler

Total is 54760
The only thing missing is the extra fans and a DVD drive which for some reason I could not find on the site. The fans can be optional since the cases come with decent enough fans for the system unless you really want to add your own touch on them.

The reason for my choices are based on value and price on the site, there are a few other liberties that can be made but I felt a lot of the parts choices would benefit someone like you doing video editing and gaming along with 2D rendering. Normally I would not suggest an i7 but I feel it will be beneficial for you especially with the Hyper Threading and editing software's. As for the GPU, I just picked the max I could find for performance in your budget and the 270X is above the GTX 750ti. The motherboard is just a good quality motherboard and a decent value though you can easily swap a down another notch if you do not want it. The PSU is also a good value on that site and a decent branded PSU with a good rating that actually is still overkill for your build. The case is up to you for aesthetics however I think the 450D is a bit pricey for what it is (This is coming from someone who owns the bigger brother the 800D) so I suggested another option that is a better price. As far as storage goes, both the Kingston and Seagate are good drives I have experience with and will suffice for your needs.

This is just a suggestion to maximize your build, you could keep that processor and motherboard for an excessive amount of time and just upgrade the GPU when needed.

Hope it helps!

Well based on those programs then I can make a few suggestions based on that, I just wanted to know if you were using anything that had significant GPU acceleration or what they needed/benefitted from.

So here is my suggestion based off your budget and the site you linked:

i7 4790K
MSI Z97S SLI Krait
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb
Thermaltake 630Watt Gold PSU
Kingston 120gb SSD
Seagate 1tb 7200RPM Drive
Sapphire R9 270X
Bitfenix Ronin Mid Tower Case
Thermaltake CPU Cooler

Total is 54760
The only thing missing is the extra fans and a DVD drive which for some reason I could not find on the site. The fans can be optional since the cases come with decent enough fans for the system unless you really want to add your own touch on them.

The reason for my choices are based on value and price on the site, there are a few other liberties that can be made but I felt a lot of the parts choices would benefit someone like you doing video editing and gaming along with 2D rendering. Normally I would not suggest an i7 but I feel it will be beneficial for you especially with the Hyper Threading and editing software's. As for the GPU, I just picked the max I could find for performance in your budget and the 270X is above the GTX 750ti. The motherboard is just a good quality motherboard and a decent value though you can easily swap a down another notch if you do not want it. The PSU is also a good value on that site and a decent branded PSU with a good rating that actually is still overkill for your build. The case is up to you for aesthetics however I think the 450D is a bit pricey for what it is (This is coming from someone who owns the bigger brother the 800D) so I suggested another option that is a better price. As far as storage goes, both the Kingston and Seagate are good drives I have experience with and will suffice for your needs.

This is just a suggestion to maximize your build, you could keep that processor and motherboard for an excessive amount of time and just upgrade the GPU when needed.

Hope it helps!

Thank you for the answer.

I could upgrade it to an i7 but I don't think I should go for the unlocked processor since I don't plan on overclocking.
Same goes for the motherboard. It is very nice, but then again I won't be able to utilize all it's features. Also, I'll only be using 1 GPU. So I won't be able to use either its SLI or Crossfire capability.

Anyways, I'll be considering your suggestions as I continue to refine this build.
Again, thank you!

Thank you for the answer.

I could upgrade it to an i7 but I don't think I should go for the unlocked processor since I don't plan on overclocking.
Same goes for the motherboard. It is very nice, but then again I won't be able to utilize all it's features. Also, I'll only be using 1 GPU. So I won't be able to use either its SLI or Crossfire capability.

Anyways, I'll be considering your suggestions as I continue to refine this build.
Again, thank you!
I suggested the processor mostly because of the higher stock clocks versus the locked counterparts and the price difference was not to much. I feel it will help you have extra room in the end even if you do not plan on overclocking:
i7 4790K: 4.0-4.4ghz
i74790: 3.6-4.0ghz

Same with the motherboard, I suggested for good value but you can easily pair up a nice H97 motherboard to save some money as well. I just suggested this because the difference in price for boards like the one I listed is not much for a much more higher quality feature set and components.

You can always pick lower on some parts and even so going for the i5 4690 would still be an excellent choice. I was mostly focusing on what you said you do with your machine and trying to maximize your budget along with giving you some room to grow in the future on it. Right now many people can pickup a processor and motherboard that could last excess 5+ years with the right choices (People are still running i5 2500K processors from years back).

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
With today's games I would double the ram Min. 16 Gb 32 would be better PSU seems a bit low at 650W all else looks good.

Back