First time setting up an SSD drive

DonNagual

Hey all, been a while since I last built a system, and never done one with an SSD.

I'm assuming the SSD is basically my C drive where I will install the OS, plus any games I want to run quickly, then everything else on my D drive (just a regular HDD).

Sound about right?

Right. and don't forget to turn off some things like defragmentation, indexing and prefetch in windows. those are designed for hdd.

I'm in windows 8 now, and unable to find any settings to turn off the ones you mention above. You'd hope windows could figure out it's an SSD and do it automatically!!

Unless you just have space to burn, you should probably install games to a regular drive. SSD will load levels faster but in the actual game there won't be much if any difference in performance.

So for a game like WoW, there would be no difference between installing on SSD and HDD performance wise?

So what is the major advantage of an SSD? I know windows would load much much faster (nice, but I don't have a problem with waiting for windows on my current system), but other than that, specifically for gaming, not really worth the money? Loading times would be better, but it wouldn't affect gameplay at all. Not sure why I'd need one.

So what is the major advantage of an SSD? I know windows would load much much faster (nice, but I don't have a problem with waiting for windows on my current system), but other than that, specifically for gaming, not really worth the money? Loading times would be better, but it wouldn't affect gameplay at all. Not sure why I'd need one.
Well if that's what you think of it I'm not sure why you'ed need one either. No it doesn't really improve framerates.
As for me, IMO time is pretty important so I'd install all my programs and games on an SSD and tbh if I still had room I'd put files too. I think for me all my programs and games would fit on a 90GB SSD no problem.

Thanks for the input/insight marinkvasina, I appreciate it. I wasn't so much looking for improved gaming via SSD, was just more interesting in justifying the price. I already bought one for my new build, so it's a moot point.

It makes sense when I think about it though. My old HDD wasn't slowing down my FPS in any way, why would an SSD improve FPS.

I'll just enjoy faster boot times. Be interesting to see how fast it will be.

Well if that's what you think of it I'm not sure why you'ed need one either. No it doesn't really improve framerates.
As for me, IMO time is pretty important so I'd install all my programs and games on an SSD and tbh if I still had room I'd put files too. I think for me all my programs and games would fit on a 90GB SSD no problem.

I picked up a 128gb SSD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00AEGT3EY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i05

I'll see how much I can cram on it!

I'm in windows 8 now, and unable to find any settings to turn off the ones you mention above. You'd hope windows could figure out it's an SSD and do it automatically!!

WIndows 8 does do it automatically. So does Windows 7 for the most part.

~15ms (HDD) vs ~0.01ms (SSD) access times for everything installed on the SSD. A far more noticeable speed improvement over any CPU or RAM upgrade - generally speaking.

Back