Flashing power supply LED and PC won't start

manolis69

First of all this occured when the electricity went off one day. I had my computer connected to a ups and a safety power hub but i didnt manage to shut it down before the battery of the ups went off so it forced closed on its own. After that the led of the power supply, not the one on the psu but the one which is located in the chassis in front where the hdd led is as well, started flashing and the computer wont start at all. I started turning off and on the power supply button on the psu and i could hear a noise not a loud one like the one you get with a ram or w/e problem but a silent "" vzzzz" thinky. After multiples swith off and on from the psu button the sound stoped and the pc started. However when i shut it down again the noise is there again and now i cant start it again. Now i want to buy a new psu in order to fix the issue but i am not 100% sure if it's the psu's failure. Any ideas if it's the psu or something else?

That sound like a problem with psu to be sure get yourself a psu tester you can get a good one for around a £10 on ebay also take a look at your mobo to see if there is damage there also check your ups and safety hub.

I did the test with the paperclip and the fan worked and everything. However it does a strange noise from the psu like electricity going through something like vzz thinkie.... then i connect em all together and it didnt start again but after a while the noise stoped and the pc started.. when i shut it down there goes the problem again... i believe its the psu cause the pc worked fine when it booted ...

You need to test the power supply unit like I said if the noise is coming from the power supply unit not the fan then if the PSU is faulty you can get a new one.

It was the psu i bought a Corsair Tx650w and the pc works now. I did the test with the paper clip and the fans worked but it seemed that the psu didnt manage to power the whole computer.Anyway i use the old psu now to power an old fan for the hot days :D

Back