Floppy Problems - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been having problems with my floppy drive. When it trys to read many of my disks, it tells me that they are not formatted. (I'M SURE THEY ARE!) But now I have a new problem. When I insert one particular disk, I get this error message: A:\ is not accessible
No ID mark was found on the floppy disk.

Now tell me, is this the disk or the drive?

The other disks that generate the error message that they are not formatted were sitting close to my surround sound speakers, so I think that's what happened to them, but the new error message is generated by a brand new disk. Just to be certain, please let me know if you think its the disk or drive. Thanks.

To be sure, check the power and the flat cable on both ends, that they are inserted properly.
The bunch near your speakers probably got damaged by magnetic influence from those speakers.
Check that one disk in another PC. Can you read it there?
Can you format new floppies in your A-drive? Can you read e.g. SATA-drivers from a floppy?
If you answer either of the 2 questions with NO, your drive might be gone.
Cheap to replace though!

I just went through this problem on my in-laws pc. They were getting that error with all of their drives, not just the floppy. It ended up being a problem with the motherboard. Once that was replaced all is well. I know this isn't a cheap solution, but that is what I found for them.

It would be a better idea to get another floppy drive and replace your current one, you should be able to pick one up for very cheap.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back