Forced reboot created 0x0000007B error

Hi all,

Sorry to have my first post be a plea for help but alas here we are. So apologies in advance for being "that guy" but I'm really dumbfounded by this one. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Two nights ago my Windows XP Home Edition computer was infected with one of those trojans that disguises itself as a fake anti-virus software. It was called WindowScan I think. As soon as it started to scan my computer I hard booted the machine before it could finish. Now I can't get back into regular mode nor safe mode. In both cases the machine loads to the Windows title screen then I get a blue screen of death that reads...
---------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C7524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
---------------------------------

I've seen other threads here and other places that describe this error and the problems were traced to three things: the registry is bad, the drivers are bad or the HDD is bad. What's making this difficult for me is that I used Windows Repair to set the drivers to default. This didn't change anything. Then I created a UBCD4Win boot disc and through it restored the registry to a copy of itself from a few days ago. This didn't change anything. Lastly, using the UBCD4Win desktop I am able to completely access to boot HDD so that makes me think it's okay. I've run spybot via UBCD4Win and although it did find some bugs it didn't find anything that was causing this BSOD.

What else should I try?

Also please let me know if this problem has already been addressed elsewhere. I apologize if this is a duplicate thread and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Update: okay so this is weird now. I disconnected the secondary drive, which seemed to be okay since I can see it via the UBCD4WIN desktop but I guess Windows just doesn't like it at the moment, and so no more BSOD. Hurray! And now Windows is trying to complete the Windows Repair that I had started earlier in the troubleshooting phase. Okay, that's cool. But now it's asking for the drivers disc for my GeForce 8800 GTS. I put the driver disc in the machine but Windows comes back with a warning that says "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP" and then it asks me if I still want to continue. Which I do. But I can't because at this moment Windows also seems to deactivate my mouse and my keyboard so I can't click okay to continue, nor can I press tab and enter to select okay to continue.:confused:

Okay, so I downloaded a new copy of the NVIDIA driver and burned it to disc. I put that disc in the damaged machine but Windows doesn't like that driver either. As a matter of fact, near as I can tell, Windows is looking for a file called nvenetfd.inf which doesn't exist anywhere on the new one I downloaded.

I read somewhere that this might be because Windows may have gone and got new drivers from a windows update session and now for some reason wants me to provide the disk. So I tried disabling the onboard LAN from the BIOS and ran the repair feature again in the hopes that I could re-enable the LAN and get the latest drivers for it later. But now the Windows Repair only goes as far as to ask for the Windows install disc and then it won't go any further. Uhg.

Update: okay so this is weird now. I disconnected the secondary drive, which seemed to be okay since I can see it via the UBCD4WIN desktop but I guess Windows just doesn't like it at the moment, and so no more BSOD. Hurray! And now Windows is trying to complete the Windows Repair that I had started earlier in the troubleshooting phase. Okay, that's cool. But now it's asking for the drivers disc for my GeForce 8800 GTS. I put the driver disc in the machine but Windows comes back with a warning that says "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP" and then it asks me if I still want to continue. Which I do. But I can't because at this moment Windows also seems to deactivate my mouse and my keyboard so I can't click okay to continue, nor can I press tab and enter to select okay to continue.:confused:
Argh. This is horrible. I can't get past this stage. No matter what I do Windows wants that driver but doesn't like it when I give it to it. I did some Googling and it seems this is a pretty well known issue. Not sure who's fault it is, Window's or NVIDIA's but of course as usual it's the customer that suffers. :mad:

Can you do a BIOS update?
I finally gave up on it. In the end I simply took out the NVIDIA graphics card and replaced with an 8 year old Graphics Blaster. The Windows Repair stopped complaining and completed it's install. Once Windows was back up and running I deactivated the Driver Signing requirements, shut the machine down, swapped out the Graphics Blaster for the NVIDIA, rebooted and BAM everyone wins.

Back