Format the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroboy

Hi all, After replaceing my damaged mobo on my laptop it took ages to start windows and it was sugested I format my hard drive but when I try I get a message saying,Setup did not find any hard disk drivers installed on your computer,Can anyone help?

If it is a late model laptop with a Sata drive and Not Vista you need to configure your bios to boot properly. Read your manual.

you will need to install your drivers from some kind of device, CD, thumb drive, etc.... preferably a floppy drive.

Thank for the replys.I am a novis with computers so can you explan your help, My laptop is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 3438M one year old runing on XP.

Your hard drive needs a small piece of software called a driver in order for it to be recognised by windows. This can be downloaded for free off your pc manufacturers website or many other locations . go google.

After you have found the correct drivers. save them to a media of your choice. eg floppy disk, cd.. ect.

start your pc up, tapping f2 usually to bring up your bios screen, find the part called boot device and change it to whatever the media you saved your drivers. stick the disk in... exit and save changes. and as far as my memory serves thas it :)

Been a couple of years since i done this though. so maybe a few corrections to this guide.

Good luck!

don't forget, when you replace the mobo, windows must be completely reinstalled from scratch. Do you have the origininal laptop CD?

Thanks for your help, I will try to find the driver needed, and I lost the original laptop CD when I moved house. Will I need the CD?

more than likely yes. You may have to buy/obtain a new one from the maker. If your drive is SATA, you will need drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back