Formatting hard drive is likely to cause an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hey
For some reason my dell laptop has just stopped working...again!!

It came up with the BSoD with something like a unbotable volume image or something close to that.

Ive tried the Windows XP repair console and it came up with 50% and then said about multiple problmes that cant be fixed. Im going to have to reformat it seems.

However ive had to do this before with this laptop and when i did the reformat process never finished and it ended up breaking the hard drive of the laptp and i had to fork out for a ew one. It just seems ad soo as you try and re format and install windows the hard drive fails and thats it.

Does anyone have ay suggestions as to how to fix the problem without having to go down the line of re formatting because i started the process and it took about 3 minutes to simply bring up the list of partitions on the HD.

the first think you should have done is run->chkdsk /F
this tool finds and (attempts) to fix real hd errors. it may take all day (extreme cases),
but it sure beats reformatting and reinstalling. Normally, it corrects the situation and
you move on.

ONCE you start a reformat, you've begun a one way process where you WILL replace
the system and have lost ALL YOUR FILES.

Ask for help before you even consider reformatting!

is there any way of starting the chkdsk in windows because i actually forgot to say but i have not actualy started the re format i mearley went into the recovery disk and then went to look at the patitions from there i just exited the disk and didnt actually start the process.

Also the chkdsk was done in Knoppix sorry forgot to say that but that also went on to 50 % and didnt actually recover anything.

When I did fixboot it said to start a new boot sequence or something along those lines and then when it restarted it did nothing but windows is still there and trying to boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back