Formatting Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi.

i tried to format my hd. with the windows xp cd. and when i tried to delete the partition1 it gives me this error message.

Setup is unable to perform the requierd operation on the selected partition.This partition contains temporary setup files requierd to complete the instalation.

can anyone please help, please

Sounds like your setup is booting from the hard drive.

Make sure your CD is indeed booting. You should be prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD". If you get this message and you press a key while this is displayed on your screen, then you should definitely be booting from the CD.

If you do this, there should not be any problems formatting your drive.

If you still have problems, there are alternative methods, such as pressing "R" for recovery console when prompted during setup. When you are in the console, type diskpart

This will load the console disk manager. You'll be able to manipulate your drives here. Or you can type in format X: (X being the drive letter you wish to format). You should have no problem doing this.

Everything isn't screwed up, we just gotta figure out what is going on and get your straightened away. No worries, just try what Rick said and report back.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

ok i reboted with the windows xp cd in the cd-rom and it asked me

Boot form Cd:

and i pressed enter, but it continued and started windows as it normaly would.

:(

Once you press enter, you should see the bland "Windows Setup" blue screen with white text.

Any chance that your CD is bad?

And how about that keyboard... Are positive it is working? Can you enter BIOS setup with it?

BIOS refers to Basic Input Output System. It a program with a blue layout. To gain access to the BIOS, press Del key upon switching on your pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back