Forspoken requires 150GB of storage and needs an RTX 3070 for 1440p @ 30fps

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Forspoken's newly unveiled system requirements roughly line up with other recent and upcoming AAA games that no longer support the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The ever-popular GTX 1060 hangs on in the minimum specs, but new titles are increasingly recommending cards like the RTX 2070 and 3070.

Square Enix revealed the final system requirements for its upcoming open-world action RPG Forspoken. PlayStation 5 owners might also want to give the demo another spin, as the publisher just patched it.

Forspoken is another sign that PC system requirements are establishing a new standard. Several big-name titles launched last year list the GTX 1060 — Steam's second most popular GPU in December — as the recommended graphics card.

Forspoken lists it under minimum requirements for 720p 30fps gameplay. Other games like Returnal, the Dead Space remake, A Plague Tale: Requiem, and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor also list the GTX 1060, 970, or 1070 under minimum requirements, with the 2070 usually appearing under recommended.

Possibly even more surprising is that Forspoken recommends the RTX 3070 or a Radeon 6700 XT for 1440p 30fps gameplay. Square Enix suggests an RTX 4080 or Radeon 6800 XT for 4K gameplay at 60fps with ultra settings.

System memory requirements have also ticked upward recently. Forspoken, like Dead Space, Requiem, and Returnal, requires 16GB. Square Enix's new title recommends 24GB, but its ultra spec suggests 32GB.

Another concerning trend is games pushing storage requirements beyond triple-digit gigabytes, and Forspoken is no exception. Some games like Dead Space stick to a relatively reasonable 50 or 60GB, but Forspoken needs an eye-watering 150GB!

Many are likely interested in the game because it will be the first PC title to use Microsoft's DirectStorage API. The new feature should reduce level load times for Windows 11 users using NVMe SSDs, as seen in PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles. Square Enix claims Forspoken can load new scenes in around one second in SSDs that reach 5GBps, meaning either PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 drives.

Square Enix also confirmed PC-specific features like 32:9 ultra widescreen (not during cutscenes), HDR, and FSR 2.0. Although the company didn't mention DLSS, games that include FSR 2.0 tend to receive mods adding DLSS since the work that goes into the two upscaling solutions is similar, Judgment being a recent example.

The PS5-only demo received an update this week that adds button mapping, fixes some technical issues, and adjusts text size in some places. Forspoken launches on PlayStation 5 and PC on January 24.

Permalink to story.

6700XT and 3070 for 1440p 30fps

6800XT and 4080 for 4K 60fps ultra setting ?!

It does not make any sense. How can 6800XT runs 2x fps at much higher resolution and setting than 6700XT. I thought that 6800XT is like ~30% average fps faster than 6700XT

12GB video ram on 6700XT can't be bottleneck because they recommending 8GB nvidia card at 1440p. If 6800XT can do 60fps at 4K then 6700XT will easily do over 60fps at 1440p (6700XT perform better at 1440p than 6800XT at 4K)

Last edited:
6700XT and 3070 for 1440p 30fps

6800XT and 4080 for 4K 60fps ultra setting ?!

It does not make any sense. How can 6800XT runs 2x fps at much higher resolution and setting than 6700XT. I thought that 6800XT is like ~30% average fps

12GB video ram on 6700XT can't be bottleneck because they recommending 8GB nvidia card at 1440p. If 6800XT can do 60fps at 4K then 6700XT will easily do over 60fps at 1440p (6700XT perform better at 1440p than 6800XT at 4K)

Exactly what I was thinking. There isn't that big a gap in performance between those cards, so why would one be able to do only 30 fps 1440p and the others suddenly able to do 4k but 60 fps? Can't figure out the math here.

Well, good luck selling few million copies to recoup the investment... With GT1650 allegedly being the most popular PC gaming GPU, I've heard Callisto Protocol sells like hotcakes.

What a great coincidence, I just got 3070. Not gonna buy this game though which is not a great coincidence.
The visuals in this game are amazing.
But there is nothing else that would excite me in this product.

Hard pass for me regardless of the requirements but I can't help but think we are at a point where devs feel like they have to do less work do to the hardware on the market. Maybe I'm wrong but a 4080 for 4k seems a bit steep imo.
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal today (my wife gets it) that had a title something like "Producers reign in prices as consumers balk at buying".

I was thinking No Sh!t Sherlock that's been happening in the PC component world for a while now. Its no surprise that consumers in other markets also have no liking for their wallets being gouged.

So, going by the title, this game only runs on a 3070, correct?

Not other nvidia GPUs and definitely in none of AMD available/existent GPUs....

I don’t get these devs. I’ve played the demo on the PS5 and it doesn’t look amazing that warrants these requirements. It looks good. Sure. But not like wow this is amazing. RDR2 and the Witcher 3 next gen look better than this new game in my opinion. What’s going on in newer games.

I just hope this will be a good game to play. I don't care about requirements, they do not matter if game is bad.

The specs make no sense. If you really need 16GB of VRAM for 4K ultra, that would explain the 150GB of space I guess. Did they even bother to compress the textures at all?

High requirements for 4K gaming is probably OK since 4K is a tiny niche of the PC gamer audience and those are precisely the people already spending big on GPUs anyway. The publisher may even feel that quoting high specs is a positive as far as marketing goes ("look at how amazing our game must be with this high requirement").

Much more important is being able to play well at 1080p with a mainstream GPU. That's still the most common resolution by far and a game that can't pull that off is going to be facing a lot of headwinds as far as selling enough copies.

Exactly what I was thinking. There isn't that big a gap in performance between those cards, so why would one be able to do only 30 fps 1440p and the others suddenly able to do 4k but 60 fps? Can't figure out the math here.

The only thing I can think of is the VRAM, but agreed this is unusual. System spec recommendations always need to be taken with a grain of salt to begin with, though. If they are recommending the 4080 for 4k, then the AMD equivalent would be the XTX.

Back