Forza Motorsport 8 could be the last entry in the long-running series

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Editor's note: Although Turn 10 has decided not to number the next Forza Motorsport game, we have called it Forza Motorsport 8 in the headline and the body to avoid confusing it with the first title in the series with the same name, which we also mention. We have also labeled it Forza Motorsport (2023) and use these terms interchangeably when referring to the newer game.

During Sunday's Xbox Showcase, Turn 10 Studios dropped a trailer for the next iteration of Forza Motorsport, which it teased back in January. The series is almost 20 years old, and the studio faithfully released a new version every two years until Forza Motorsport 7 in 2017. So fans should be happy that the six-year wait for Forza Motorsport 8 is almost over.

Unfortunately, during a post-show interview, Forza's General Manager Dan Greenawalt revealed that this might be the last game in the Forza Motorsport series, not to be confused with the Forza Horizon line.

"Basically, we're not planning a distinct sequel at all," Greenawalt said.

Forza Motorsport 8 isn't even the name of the upcoming title. Turn 10 decided to leave the number off, making it share its title with the first game in the franchise, which launched on the original Xbox console in 2005. So like God of War (2005) and God of War (2018), there could be confusion when talking about Forza Motorsport (2005) and (2023).

To the uninitiated, Forza Motorsport is a racing sim much like Gran Turismo. Fans will argue about whether one is more sim-like than the other, but at the end of the day, Motorsport is a racing sim where players compete on chosen tracks, and Forza Horizon is an arcade racer with an open-world format.

While Greenawalt did not go into detail about why this might be the last game of the sim series, the switch to a service model could likely be the reason. Forza (2023) will focus hard on the online multiplayer element and seasonal content delivery – a format that has become popular with other games like Fortnite, Dota 2, and the two latest Diablo games.

The service model allows Turn 10 to continually churn out new features, tracks, cars, and events without repeatedly releasing a new game every two years. This setup has allowed Fortnite to run for six years, with seasons coming between 10 and 12 weeks apart. Blizzard has also promised quarterly content drops for Diablo 4 and already has the first two under development.

As long as Turn 10 sticks to a monetization scheme that only charges for cosmetics, fans shouldn't balk too much at the game. Making significant updates that improve performance for everyone should keep the game on an even keel, but players are likely to mutiny if it becomes too grindy or pay-to-win.

If you want to know more, check out this month's Forza Monthly (above). Forza Motorsport (2023) launches on October 10 for Xbox Series X|S, PC, and Game Pass.

Permalink to story.

Definitively hand-in-hand with my other comment on the (lack of) series s/x refresh: Microsoft doesn't even wants you to think about 'Games' in terms of distinct, serialized entities, they just want you to pay a subscription fee with microtransactions on top for a constant stream of slowly changing content for you to consume and what better way to go for that model than their car fetish game, soon to be Game-as-a-Service a.k.a. Digital Car purchasing platform.

Definitively hand-in-hand with my other comment on the (lack of) series s/x refresh: Microsoft doesn't even wants you to think about 'Games' in terms of distinct, serialized entities, they just want you to pay a subscription fee with microtransactions on top for a constant stream of slowly changing content for you to consume and what better way to go for that model than their car fetish game, soon to be Game-as-a-Service a.k.a. Digital Car purchasing platform.
On the other hand, where is there to go with a racing game in yet another numbered sequel?

I honestly don't get how such sporting type games sell as well as they do when not much changes anymore.

On the other hand, where is there to go with a racing game in yet another numbered sequel?

I honestly don't get how such sporting type games sell as well as they do when not much changes anymore.

At least with sports games yearly updated rosters can make a big difference in how a team plays/performs. And footballs is EXTREMELY popular.

Car racing sim games? I used to love the old GT games and early Forza’s. Bur after a while, its the same old grind. Best part is tricking out a car, not really driving it

This idea works well for making continuous and steady profits.
But I have the sincerest wish it fails.
It is anti consumer. It is always about baiting you a little and then a bit more and more.
This system literally preys on unstable people who have compulsive buying disorders.
I wish they go bankrupt, all of them, greedy bloodsuckers.

At least with sports games yearly updated rosters can make a big difference in how a team plays/performs. And footballs is EXTREMELY popular.
Sounds like a simple update, not a new game. Changing the roster doesn't fundamentally change the mechanics of the game...

Car racing sim games? I used to love the old GT games and early Forza’s. Bur after a while, its the same old grind. Best part is tricking out a car, not really driving it
Yeah, that's the main reason why I stopped trying to play racing games. There was one that I really liked a looong time ago where you could actually grind a bit and have a better car (so you didn't have to be a pro at the game).

But the long tracks always ended up boring me anyways. 20+mins to finish a race? Meh...

This idea works well for making continuous and steady profits.
But I have the sincerest wish it fails.
It is anti consumer. It is always about baiting you a little and then a bit more and more.
This system literally preys on unstable people who have compulsive buying disorders.
I wish they go bankrupt, all of them, greedy bloodsuckers.
I indeed do have compulsive buying disorder and would indeed love to buy this game

I won't buy any future Forza Motorsports stuff. I hate greedy people and their horrible business model.

Classic MS, not a surprise considering the state of Horizon, doesn't bode well for it standing out against the live service misery of GT7

There is kind of a crowded market for racing sims. Horizon seems to dominate in "arcade" racing. I'm curious how their sales compare.

Once they realise there's something major in the game that needs changing they will scrap the idea of it being the last game.

Back