Four Cores for Ultrabooks: Core i7-8550U Review

IMO, disappointing. The 15 watt dual cores provided more then enough power for basic laptop tasks, with anything heavy not being suited to a laptop in the first place.

The only bottleneck is intel's stupid slow GPU. All these years later, all these arch improvements, and they are still only maybe 25% faster then 2013's haswell. I've been waiting for years for a proper iGPU replacement for haswell, to no avail.

AMD's raven ridge cant come soon enough.

The only bottleneck is intel's stupid slow GPU. All these years later, all these arch improvements, and they are still only maybe 25% faster then 2013's haswell. I've been waiting for years for a proper iGPU replacement for haswell, to no avail.

gotta love too how laptop makers either stick with iGPU or throw a super hot and meh 940mx in there, instead of the better mx150 (aka a gt1030)...lenovo is the worst offender.

Looks like a big improvement over previous chips. Even the improvement in gaming isn't bad.

I'd still wait for Raven Ridge, see if AMD can give us something that's more well balanced when it comes to the GPU.

Ill predict that Intel would still be the king of efficiency for the next 3 years in laptop CPUs.

I wonder how these CPUs would perform in the Nividia Max-Q style laptops. Hopefully with the pressure from AMD the next refresh of H-Series CPUs will be at least 6C/12T.

gotta love how laptop makers either stick with iGPU or throw a super hot and meh 940mx in there, instead of the better mx150 (aka a gt1030)...lenovo is the worst offender.
HP throw in the 930mx which is even worse!
Dell does the same thing. It's infuriating. Use the iris chips or the MX150 for gods sake!

The 930 and 940 need to dissapear from machines soon.

Another blow to the aspiration of AMD to surpass Intel in the near future.
Unlikely. AMD's iGPU will be far superior to anything intel can throw out, especially as intel has been resting on their laurels for years on the GPU side. CPU wise, this chip is already too powerful for most users of 15 watt chips, it is unlikely that AMD's model will be significantly worse in either efficiency or performance in real world use cases.

gotta love too how laptop makers either stick with iGPU or throw a super hot and meh 940mx in there, instead of the better mx150 (aka a gt1030)...lenovo is the worst offender.
Oh man, it makes me sad because I really had no choice but to buy an Asus laptop with a 940mx because I really needed it now and there are no laptops with mx150 available and even if there were, its price would be quite high. Also, I think I'll have to mention how messed up laptop spec/hardwar combos can get sometimes...

Seeing how AMD stepped their game up forcing Intel to do the same, I'd say, they'll be fine. They might not be able to win against Intel in some aspects but I madly respect them for the efforts they've done to improve their products. So, let's appreciate, celebrate and thank AMD because if it weren't for them, Intel won't probably improve their products and pricing (not much though).

Only if those ultrabooks fan noise could be avoided. After that nobody will ever buy a classic 2kg+ laptop.

Anything above £600 needs an mx150 as standard
above £1000 needs a gtx 1050 as standard
above £1500 needs a gtx 1060 and 120hz as standard
by 2019-2020 if not then im going to be infuriated

Back