Freezing Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have had a Asus A6000 for about 2 years now, and recently it has been really slow, sometimes freezing, or needing to be restarted. I use it mostly for uni work, and the internet, but having more than two pages open at a time means the laptop runs really slow. Occasionally the laptop becomes unresponsive totally, and will not switch off when going through the start menu.

My boyfriend said i should run a disk cleanup, and disk fragmenter, which havent helped, any other suggestions of why it has suddenly gone slow or how I could get the laptop to run faster id appreciate?

Often laptop hard drives slow down befor they fail. There are so many difficulties which may cause these problems that it is difficult to know where to start.
1. If Memory is 512 MB or less, add enough memory to get it to 1 GB or greater. Adding memory is the best way to speed up a normally working laptop. Just enough is not enough.
2. too many processes will slow it down. Be sure you are running only the programs you need.
3. Too many security programs will usually slow down everything. Only one antivirus program should be working. You can have, and probably need two or three AntiSpyware programs... but use caution.
4. Run a drive fitness test from the manufacturer of your hard drive. It will take less than five minutes for the quick test. If the S.M.A.R.T test is ok, then you do not need to run the longer full test that can take 45 minutes. If it fails the SMART test, replace the drive.
5. Too many programs running can do harm to speed. Search Google for the free download, HiJack This. Download and install it, then review the resulting list of what is found. Be sure you need all those programs. If there is a lot of stuff you do not recognize, send the HiJack This output to this site.
6. Spyware, adware, and various infestations can slow down the computer in a dramatic fashion. Run the latest free version of Window Defender from Microsoft; Adaware 2007, and a top spyware like Spyware Doctor which offers a free scan to see if you need to buy it.
7. Defragment your drive if you do not normally to this. You can find the Windows defragmenting tool at Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Defragmenter->Defragment. Let it run until done.
8 Other observations:

Software builds up over time. Registry entries continue to increase over the life of your computer install. Most software programs are designed to run in the background. Downloaded software is likely to run while "in background". This means it starts up whenever you boot your computer, then runs where you cannot see it. Many software programs do this, although trojans and spyware are famouse for it. Some of your music and photo programs such as Apple iTunes or Quicktime, Win Amp. Real Player, and so on. It doesn't take long, a mere few weeks, before these programs are forgotten, but are still churning away, slowing down your computer.
You must run maintenance on your computer, just as you do your other utilities in the garage, or your car. You need to rid your computer of fragmentation, programs you do not use, and files you never access.
Be extremely careful and thoughtful about installing more software to speed up your computer. This is usually junk that doesn't work. It is software that usually causes a slow down of your computer. Why add more of it. When you feel you must, use only software you really trust. Do not become hooked by online adds or web sites.
Search for then remove all "temp files" or temporary files on your hard drive "*.tmp"
Empty your internet temporary files [tools->options].
Cleanup your disk by using: Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Clean-up. Or run the free CCleaner.
Boot into safe mode by tapping F8 during the boot up. Disable unwanted services that may be starting up with Windows.
Check your programs by opening them when windows starts. Look for a spot wher e you can disable them from startup. Many program applications may say "run in taskbar". You do not wan them to do this. Change this setting.

If none of this helps, send us the HiJack File. You might also want to download and scan with ComboFile and send us the results of that as well.

Good luck

Thanks Ive tried defragmenting, and done virus and spyware scans (all were fine), but for some of the more complicated things I think Im going to have to wait for my dad to do it! I did the Hijack This thing but im not sure what to get rid of, ive attatched the log if you could help and tell me what it all means please?!

I don't see any real evil doers.
When you "tried defragmenting" did the defrag complete its tasks and give you a report?
It is possible you simply do not have enough memory for what you are doing. How much memory do you have? If you do not have 1 GB or more, I would budget for that upgrade right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back