Freezing web pages; slow loading; physical memory dumping... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First off, I'm computer illiterate, so I apologise for what will be a pathetic attempt at describing the problem.

My Internet Explorer runs incredibly slowly, regardless of my connection strength (I'm using a wireless network). It takes ages to load a page. This is worse when I have more webpages running, but it happens with only one page too. For example, it has taken me nearly an hour, to get from registering with techspot, to typing this message. It should have only taken 5 minutes!

Internet Explorer randomly freezes and crashes. I have to 'control alt delete' to get the pages to close and get back to Windows. Again, this is worse when I have multiple webpages running.

Finally, when I shut the computer down, I sometimes get a blue screen, which says that an error has been detected, and the computer is beginning to dump physical memory. This happens about 70% of the times that I shut down, but at no other time when I'm using the computer.

I have XoftSpySE and RegCure installed, and they never pick up any major errors on the computer, only cookies, which I delete daily. Could a virus be causing this?

I am using Windows XP and IE 7.0.

I defrag the computer quite regularly and I have about 70% free space on it. I have a 1GB RAM, and 100GB HDD space. Could it be that I don't have enough RAM, and that's why IE is running slowly?

Someone told me that if I decreased the amount of memory used to store temporary internet pages, then IE would speed up. My system recommends that I use 50-250MB, and I have it set to use 100MB to store history and temp. files. This hasn't changed the speed of the internet.

Any help is very gratefully accepted.

Thank you,

Lisa

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I advise you to uninstall RegCure as it has somewhat of a dodgy reputation.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of duncarsesmate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you Howard.

Attached (hopefully!) is the HJT log. Means absolutely nothing to me!

I am also about to uninstall RegCure. I'd been having doubts about it myself. I received it free, and installed it with my fingers crossed. It never seemed to detect threats well. Thank you for confirming it.

Lisa :)

You`re using an outdated version of HijackThis, please uninstall your current version and get the latest version from the link I gave you in my first post.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

NetRatingsNetSight
NetSight

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

NielsenOnline.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: IMM Toolbar - {65DCB62D-0C89-467B-BCC3-B04FB0773D1E} - C:\Program Files\Jaytown\IMM Toolbar\MarktMonitorShell.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NielsenOnline] C:\Program Files\NetRatingsNetSight\NetSight\NielsenOnline.exe

O16 - DPF: {B991DA79-51F7-4011-98D2-1F2592E82A56} (ACNPlayer2 Class) - http://drm1.reelsurvey.com/ePlayer/V3_2_0_0/ACNePlayer.cab

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\NetRatingsNetSight<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh, current HJT log and let me know if you`re still having problems.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of duncarsesmate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks again Howard.

I've followed your instructions, and have attached the new HJT log. When I re-started the computer and came back online to post here, the internet was running at the same speed as before. Do I have to do anything else to improve it's speed?

Thank you again for all your help,

Lisa

Despite me pointing it out earlier, you are still running an outdated version of HJT.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back