Frequent BSODs on Win7 x64, including 7e error

Hello all!

I hope you are well. I have been having troubles with my computer (2e stop errors and so on), which I assumed was my graphics card overheating (reaching 90+ Celsius, probably bad), so I swapped it out for a new card and reformatted.

I've now had three BSODs in about 6 hours, and this is a bit confusing! At first I thought it was my external HDD (Western Digital Elements, causes BIOS to hang for a few more seconds than necessary and also causes other USB device initialization (keyboard, mouse, Powermate) on Windows startup to hang), but the second BSOD showed up with a message about nvlddmkm.sys (Nvidia driver?). The third showed up with 7e, which as I understand it is not very descriptive by itself.

I've run memtest86 overnight (approximately 7 hours), but I forgot to check how many passes. It didn't find any errors, though (4GB of DDR3 ram).

Attached are the minidumps; would it be possible to diagnose the problem from these alone?

Thanks so much!

Edit, specs:
MSI 890gxm + x6 1055t
A-Data 2x2GB 1333 (g series)
MSI n460gtx hawk
Seasonic x750 PSU
Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate

The BSODs occur at any time; I was watching a 1080p movie off the WD external and got one, and I was staring at the web browser and got one...

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
Though not in the files you attached you did mention 0x0000002E: DATA_BUS_ERROR
This indicates a system memory parity error, typically caused by failed or defective RAM (including motherboard, Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the 0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist (does not map to a physical address). It also can indicate hard disk damage caused by viruses or other problems.

Your files were read but nothing definitive was cited. The error codes are...

0x0000003D: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Are likely caused by hardware or device driver issues.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors which are caused by either hardware or drivers.

Again nothing was cited as a definitive cause but usually when we see so many different error codes we direct people to run Memtest because when you get so many different codes it is a strong sign memory is the cause.

* Since you already ran Memtest (hopefully for at least 7 Passes) then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

* Do you have anything overclocked?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I've been running for a few hours now (and even running furmark for that time), and I think I've isolated the problem. The Powermate (or the usb controller it was plugged into) is now unplugged and there have been no more BSODs. (I recently brought this computer overseas for a few months, and the only new hardware that is plugged in is a new case (so, sure, new jumper headers), the Powermate, and a Das Keyboard. Slowly eliminating the other hardware helped me get here...)

Overnight, I didn't unplug the Powermate yet and so I got one more minidump. I doubt it will be more conclusive... but just in case I have to come back to ask for more help, I will attach it here. :)

(As an addendum, yes, the voltages match; I did not change them ever. I was actually overclocked 15% by motherboard jumpers; somehow I forgot to turn that off. I've turned that off before trying to run overnight, but the BSOD still happened overnight. It's still off now, with no Powermate, and I think I will turn back the OC after a few more days of stability.)

Thanks so much for your analysis!

Attachments

• 093011-10015-01.7z
    23.4 KB · Views: 3
It is an 0x3B error and these can be caused by excessive page pooling or bad video drivers. Let us know if stability continues.

Thanks for the review!

I have had no system instability for the last two days, and I have now attached all other hardware besides the Powermate.

I'll slowly test whether it's that particular USB port / controller, the USB extension wire, or the Powermate itself, but I think the situation has been resolved otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

Back