Fried GPU?

madogmurpy

So my laptop looks like this, and the squiggly blue lines are not a by-product of my phone's camera.

http://yfrog.com/nelaptop1ej
http://yfrog.com/n4laptop2gj

About a year after I got this Sony VGN-FZ4000 I started getting BSOD's saying there was a driver failure. Less than a week after the BSOD's started the same squiggly lines appeared and my computer was unusable. I took my laptop into Sony and they fixed it covered under warranty by wiping the harddrive and I'm not sure what else.

Last May the same squiggly lines appeared and I took my laptop into Sony. Unfortunately my warranty is expired and they want an obscene amount of money to send it in and fix whatever the problem is. I asked another tech forum back in June and there someone suggested that the problem was a fried GPU, but I couldn't continue to read the forums because I didn't have a computer (and also it was summertime in a college town, if you know what I mean ;) ). Well I broke out my laptop today and I'm determined to try and fix it, whatever the problem may be.

Currently it is running on Ubuntu OS. I tried installing Windows 7 64-bit but I believe it may be incompatible with my hard drive (there is an error message saying my partitions are incompatible when trying to install). When I installed Ubuntu I'm pretty sure I wiped the hard drive, but this was a few months ago so I can't be 100% sure. Any help is appreciated.

That certainly looks like artifacting and can be caused by either a) excessive heat or a dying video card. You could also consider the possibility that the video connection is somehow "loose."

There may be better, local shops that wouldn't cost you an arm and leg to repair. Do the following...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

First off I can't post minidump files because 1) I don't have Windows 2)My computer doesn't boot

Secondly: Okay wtf now, after 3 months and 2 hours of not working a random reboot clears up the problem. I'm going to try installing Windows and get those minidump files you asked for, hopefully it doesn't break on me before I can finish the job.

Well if it didn't have Windows prior you'll not have any minidump files to find. A BSOD is actually the result of Windows shutting down so that your system is not damaged. When it Blue Screens it writes a small minidump file that gives an error code and probable cause.

Let me clarify, I originally had Windows Vista Home Premium, but I installed Ubuntu this past summer to format the hard drive. So to my knowledge there should not be any remnants of the Windows minidump files, unless you know something I don't (very likely).

Well good for you. I am glad it will work out. HP, Sony, Dell -- the list goes on. So many slight of hand moves and often lousy customer service/tech support if your warrenty runs out.

Please keep us updated.

Back