Friggin' XP Installations...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_confused

Hi there! Im_confused...!!
i recently purchasesd a copy of windows xp professional edition and tried doing a clean install on a fat32 system and even on the ntfs file system. it copies everything onto the hard drive (from the blue screen) and then requires the computer to be restarted. i restart the computer but it keeps on freezing at the screen where the loading bar goes across the screen. it doesnt complete the installation at all no matter how many times i try it. Any suggestions plzzzzzzzz??

A few silly things to look at

1) Which part exactly is it failing at? Does it do any of the GUI based install?

2) XP can be a bit daft with different types of hardware. So check its all supported..

3) I'd use NTFS and don't use the quick format option for the first time!

i checked it all for compatibility and i have tried fully formattng it both in the fat and ntfs file systems but i still cant get anywhere. it doesnt get up to the GUI based install at all.
i purchades the copmuter from tiny round a year ago and (since my warranty is now expired!) want to start upgrading it slowly. the operating system im currently using is the one i was provided by the company, which works fine. the problems arise only with other versions of xp...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Tiny Computers
System Model P4M266-8233
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2466 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 27/07/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Ok something to try

Firstly do an install using the boot from CD option.

Sorry if i'm putting this in dummy language but you never know..

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD

Boot into the setup and except all the EULA rubbish.

Delete the existing partion when you come up with the screen which asks you where you want to install Windows XP

You then have to recreate the partion again. And it will ask you how to you want to format it.

Select the option to format NTFS (Don't select quick format)

See how far you get now.

You may get to the same point as before or may have already tried all this. Let me know

i removed my hard drive and took it down to a friends where the installation went through without a hitch. it was running perfectly on his computer so i took it back to my house and put it back into my computer and powered it up. it didnt load up at all. a blue screen appeared telling me that the hard drive will be shut down to prevent it from damage and it just kept doing that over and over.i even tried it on an older hard drive i have and the installation still doesnt get up to the GUI install. i reckon its a conflict within my hardware but i cannot quite put my finger on it... :mad:

Have you tried going into the BIOS and setting it to fail safe defaults? this is the setting for the greatest comapaitability with the widest assortment of hardware.

first you can't use another pc xp has a hardware protection layer.
it installs drivers specific to the machine
what you need to do is at your friends house connect hard drive as slave use a good disk utility or windows to reformat HDD to the file system you prefer
I go with ntfs because of the size of some of my files(edit movies fat has a lower limit).
so now ,if you can't get to use your friends pc
you will need a bootable floppy or cd with a hdd format utilty on it
after format load xp like normal do not do anything as it loads
a prompt comes up about booting and a time to wait or option for you to reboot (DO NOT REBOOT MANUALLY)
let it time out and reboot on it's on.
if you see a black screen prompt after first boot from cd
to boot from cd again ignore it,all this will do is start you all over again.

edit can use above mentioned method if both machine are exactly the same.
I would not even use xp home would go back to windows 2000 pro first

what OS was on the machine to start with? If you have a 'magic' restore CD, use this to restore it back to Windows 98 for example. Then use your XP CD through the Windows Interface and see if that works.. (put the cd in while your in windows 95 / 98 / me etc..)

its always on the fail safe default settings. do u think i need to update my bios??

yes I woud do that, also what make is this hard drive? and is it the only hard drive attached to the primary IDE cable? if it is and it is a newer drive does it have a jumper? is it set correctly? if it is alone on the primary IDE and is a newer drive try removing the jumper altogether, some newer drives dont like being jumpered when they are the only drive ont he cable.

you might also check what jumper settings your system is using? master\slave or cable select.

its a seagate hard drive and at the moment its the only one in the system. the jumper is on cable select and its connected to the primary IDE cable

Yeap OK. Restore it back to the factory settings? If the factory restore CD of XP goes back on the computer you know you dont have any problem with hardware / etc with XP Dont you?

Then use your CD you purchased to install professional. Just put the CD in the drive while your in XP Home. It will say to you something along the lines about installing the next version????

Robh001 said:
Yeap OK. Restore it back to the factory settings? If the factory restore CD of XP goes back on the computer you know you dont have any problem with hardware / etc with XP Dont you?

Then use your CD you purchased to install professional. Just put the CD in the drive while your in XP Home. It will say to you something along the lines about installing the next version????

just tried doing that and its still the same situation... :confused:

try taking the jumper and setting it to master if that doesnt work try removing the jumper altogether and try that.

go into bios and reset to factory optimum settings
and I don't know what utility you are using to reformat drive
seagate has a free dos bootable utility.
make drive master put at end of 1st ide cable.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
you may be experiencing a hardware failure.
remove any extra memory sticks if any.
make sure the cd or dvd rom is on 2nd ide and set to master also if you can.
I had older pc loaded with W2K pro added xp home and had format and unfinished install like yours a memory stick went
poof tried to put W2K back on it still messed up till I remove bad memory

all i have in the pc is what it came with as standard. i used the boot disk they gave me to set it to factory standard and then tried installation of xp professional. it still does the same thing. i have an extra hard dive that is just lying around (which i know works since i sometimes use it as extra storage space by connecting it via usb) on which i tried the installation too by using that as he master and only drive in the pc. it does everything but just wont go past the loading bar onto the GUI install screen.

after reading over your posts ,(sometimes it helps me see things diff)
I cought the fact this is a tiny pc
boy'o'boy it is a proprietary setup for the bios and also has a hidden partition on hard drive that will not allow you to use machine once this partition is gone.
the bios they use looks for the hidden partition
even if you now install there recovery disc it also will look for same
best bet open machine find out if you can ID the bios chip
and the MB and flash new bios or buy a new one.
One last thing, turn raid off if you have the option
Tiny has fled the country and left lots of folks holding there^^^^^.
About 5 years ago I bought 20 Dell pc's 450 and 500 mhz
thought I was getting a deal.
dell is terriable same with HP (compaq) Gateway(some gateways can be fixed by removing there bios)
as an investment in my own machine I would not buy any labeled pc again
Edit::check to see if drive is sata you need to load the drivers for this F6 in windows install

sounds good but i cant say i know where to start! what does the bios chip look like? and how would i go about flashing it??! sorry if its a lame question but id be lying if i said i completely understood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back